Can anyone help me with an unusual problem?

Posted by Wasma 
Can anyone help me with an unusual problem?
Date: April 21, 2003 09:09AM
Posted by: Wasma
I decided to play gp3 again, the last time I played it was about a year ago and the game ran fine.

Now this unusual problem I have is the car decides to have a mind of its own and it wont respond to my inputs. For example (and it usually occurs either near corners or on the start/finish line) the car will get stuck and will continue to accelerate and nothing I can do will bring the car under my control until the car either crashes into the wall or into other drivers. I cant even change driver views and pressing esc doesnt work until I regain control of the car again.

I'm totally stuck here, I have no idea why its started to do this. I've tried unistalling and installing again but this doesnt fix it, does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?
Re: Can anyone help me with an unusual problem?
Date: April 21, 2003 10:05AM
Posted by: Vader
My first guess would be a loose connection in your input device. Are you playing with a wheel and how does it work with other games?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 21, 2003 10:20AM
Hmm I dont play with any wheel at all, just the keyboard.
Date: April 21, 2003 11:07AM
Posted by: fitzhume
A wheel is worth it a thousand times over but is not without its problems. If you do get a wheel, make sure no other gaming devices are connected. I wasted 3 weeks with problems until I unhooked my joystick.

Did you run a virus scan?

Did you re-install and re-calibrate?
Date: April 21, 2003 11:09AM
Did both yeah, still no luck
Date: April 21, 2003 02:30PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
You may (if it's not too much trouble) want to try removing any other peripheral devices that you have on your system, such as other game controllers, digital cameras, scanners, printers, etc.. I know of at least a couple of games where such devices can cause such problems by providing unwanted input into your system. If removing them all solves the problem, then you can re-install them one by one to find out which one is the culprit. It's a time-consuming procedure, which may not solve your problem, but, then again, as a late resort, it just might.
Date: April 21, 2003 03:13PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I had this problem when I first bought the game. After installing the 1.13 patch everything was fine. So give that a try. I can't give you the reason but I am sure that the patch is the solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: April 21, 2003 08:38PM
Posted by: ken tyrrell
hi,
i have the same problem as you when playing gp3. got it since i have installed a gforce 4 4200 graphics accelerator. had no probs with the old one. now, after a few laps my car also goes mad without reacting on my keyboard input. i did not find any solution yet.
Date: April 21, 2003 08:44PM
Forgot to tell you, that I am playing GP3 1.13 using GPX-patch. Did not have any problems with my old card. Now, the game forces me to recalibrate the graphics everytime I start it. And then,during playing, my car has its own will. Maybe it does not work with modern cards?
Date: April 21, 2003 11:33PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I don't have the input problem you're talking about, but I know that ever since I reinstalled GP3, it asks me to calibrate the graphics every time I start the game, regardless of how many times I do it, similar to Ken above, I think.

Date: April 22, 2003 07:12AM
Posted by: chrislewis
This problem has happened to me and many other people. It happened for the people with the 40.82 detonator driver. I uninstalled this and now use the 30.82 and I havent had the problem since.
I had this problem it was due to my firewall I was running zonealarm:-( it does weird things to all of my games
Disable anything running like a Firewall or something
Date: April 22, 2003 01:01PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Anti-virus programs have a reknowned tendency to generally screw up a whole lot of things, for example.
Date: April 23, 2003 04:26AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
GO OUT AND BUY Grand Prix 4
a million times betta

Date: April 23, 2003 04:32AM
Posted by: G_Force
GO OUT AND BUY Grand Prix 4
a million times betta

lol, thats if it will even run at all. :)

As for the recalibration problem i got that as soon as i installed Detonator drivers.

----------
[timblair.net]
----------
Homer Simpson: "Well i would like to live long enough to see the effects of global warming, cos i've got an inside line that its all a load of crap"
Date: April 23, 2003 09:27AM
i use detonator drivers, but it does not help.
Date: April 26, 2003 06:37AM
Posted by: pjvenkman
I should have checked this thered before I posted my own.... :-|

Okay I'm having this control problem too. It can't be a lose connection because my joystick works fine with every other game including GP4, but on GP3 the car will occasionally act like the accelerator is stuck down. The funny thing is, I've not changed any settings since I last played GP3 and all my hardware that is in the PC or connected to it is exactly the same as when I last played GP3 too... The only thing I changed was updating from DX8 to DX9 but surely this can't be the problem?!?!?? :-\
Date: April 26, 2003 02:25PM
Posted by: FloP
To those with the recalibrate graphics problem:
I had this, too, and I found a solution in another thread here. There are two screens installed on the system, one correctly and a default one. You have to recalibrate something in the registry with the NVidia drivers, but I don't remember everything. The most important thing is that they want to run in two-screen-mode which has to be disabled by setting a new line "TwinViewDisabled" set to "1", in the
"HKey_Local_Machine\Software\NVidia Corporation\Global\System" folder. You should search the forums again, though, because I'm not sure whether that was all.

FloP
Date: April 26, 2003 08:53PM
Posted by: chrislewis
The only thing I changed was updating from DX8 to DX9 but surely this can't be the problem?!?!?? :-\

Did you also change the detonator drivers to 40.80? This has been the problem for heaps of people with this game, for me as well. Since I changed to 30.82 the problem has gone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy