I have a BIG problem... some help would be nice

Posted by OldIsGold 
I have a BIG problem... some help would be nice
Date: August 26, 2013 01:22PM
Posted by: OldIsGold
in a nutshell, this is how it all started...

one day, I decided to do some sound editing with gp3 sounds on my windows xp service pack 2 32bit pc. I have done a lot of sound editing before, and this has never happened before to me. normally, the sound editor patches the file within 2 or 3 seconds of pressing the patch button. it also extracts and saves a file within a few seconds of pressing the extract button and pressing save. this time, it went crazy. i tried to save a file and it took at least a minute, and when i tried to patch a gp3sound.dat file, it crashed my pc, and stopped working all together! i didn't do anything different to what i normally do. the pc is fine, it works but every time i open gp3 sound editor, and try to patch a gp3sound file, the sounds editor crashes. and i have to force close the sounds editor.

to add to the problem, somehow, mysteriously, after that glitch, my pc has no sound what so ever. i can't listen to anything. so, i can't play gp3 with sound anymore. and, even more mysterious, the volume icon in the bottom right of the taskbar is not there any more...

and even more mysterious, i go into control panel and sounds options, it says 'no sound device', eventhough when i unplug headphones and external speakers, it should play sound through the inbuilt speakers of the laptop, like it used to before. even when i unplug everything, it still says 'no sound devices'. i tried system restore, nothing worked, i tried run>services.msc>windows audio>automatic, and i tried restarting windows audio - nothing worked.

even more mysterious, when i go into gp3 sound options in the game, everything is blanked out, so i can't increase/decrease sound from there either...

and sounds editor is still slow whenever i open it, and from that day, it still doesn't patch a gp3sound.dat file. it will save audio from a current file through extraction, but that takes way longer than it used to.

so... everything on my pc still works properly, and gp3 sound editor works partially, but i have no sound. and just to note one more thing... you know that sound that old pcs used to make when you pressed too many keys on the keyboard at once? it was kind of a buzzer sound. well, now, if the gp3 game crashes and gpx patch asks me whether i want an error report, my pc makes that horrible buzzer sound, eventhough it should play the default windows xp sound through the proper speaker. it doesn't play the sound through the speaker that it used to. it plays that silly sound, which will play regardless if your volume is on full, or on mute. it's a totally different speaker.

so, what i did was, i transferred all my gp3 folders to my win 7 64bit pc, and the game is really slow. even with graphics at minimum. fyi: i use 11marco and nemesisf1's wonderful 2012 mod. the only time it's reasonably fast is in practice mode, but in a race, it tends to crash a lot.

so, i can play half of gp3 with sound. but i can't sound edit anymore because i tried downloading gp3 sound editor on my win 7 pc, and it does the same thing that the xp one does. it remplaces a file, and it extract files, (after a long time of waiting) but it can never patch a full gp3sound.dat file without the message ';(not responding)' coming up in the title bar of the sound editor. then, you know the story, i have to force close it etc...

please help!!
Re: I have a BIG problem... some help would be nice
Date: August 26, 2013 01:47PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Probably the driver of your soundcard has been corrupted and you need to reinstall it.

Do a right-clic on your Computer's icon, go to Properties then Hardware tab and Hardware Manager. There must be an item with a big question mark or a yellow triangle in front of it. If you don't know exactly what it is or don't have the driver installer somewhere, right-clic on it and go to Detail to see its "name" and google it. Preferably, download the driver on your comp manufacturer's site or the one of the soundcard manufacturer.

For the Seven 64b part, I gave up trying to make it run smoothly and made a dual boot on my comp.

Date: August 26, 2013 04:44PM
ok, thanks for your help but...

I did that and it says in the box that windows found the correct driver but cannot find the hardware device.

even though it's talking about the laptop in built speakers...

do I still have to reinstall the drivers?
Date: August 26, 2013 05:12PM
Sounds weird... Any possibilities that your soundcard crashed ? In that case installing the driver will have no effect I guess.

even though it's talking about the laptop in built speakers...
What do you mean by that ??

Date: August 26, 2013 06:24PM
sorry, I should speak a bit clearer

in the hardware manager, there were exclamation marks next to the speaker devices. one of them was the default speakers, (the inbuilt ones) and the
other was the headphones. I went to the inbuilt ones and windows said that it found the drivers but not the hardware device...

what I mean is, you should only get this message if speakers are unplugged, like on headphones, for example, but this message was appearing on the inbuilt speakers, (which can't be unplugged), but windows somehow can't find the hardware device...
Date: August 26, 2013 06:49PM
Thanks to clear that. :-)
Unfortunately I'm afraid your audio hardware device is broken. The sounds you ear are the ones of the motherboard settings. And with a laptop it will be hard to replace your inboard soundcard. :(

Date: August 26, 2013 07:10PM
no problem :-)

oh, well, it's an old laptop anyway...

shouldn't the sound still work with external speakers or headphones?

and how can a tiny program like gp3 sound editor break my hardware?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 07:15PM by OldIsGold.
Date: August 26, 2013 07:35PM
Posted by: pirx
have you uninstalled(deleted) your soundcard in the the hardware-properties -you should do that. then do a restart and windows should ask for drivers, then install new drivers. hope that helps.

if it still doesn´t solve your problem you could try to reinstall windows from the ground. I´m on PC since the early 90ties and never heard of any broken soundcard. but I had it sometimes that windows got troubles with drivers and only a new system-installation solved the problem.
Date: August 26, 2013 08:08PM
Yes, that's the last resort probably.

Date: August 26, 2013 09:45PM
ok, i'll try to do a soundcard uninstall...

by the way, thanks for your help guys! :-)
Date: August 26, 2013 10:43PM
I uninstalled some of the hardware driver and restarted windows. on restart, in the bottom right of the screen, a message popped up saying 'new hardware found' and so I went back into the hardware manager and somehow all the drivers were there, still as they were before. I clicked on one of them and it told me that windows located the drivers but not the hardware...

same problem as before...

windows did not prompt me to install drivers... they were still there even after an uninstall...

...I think my computer is a bit old guys...
Date: August 27, 2013 02:47PM
come to think of it, even if I uninstalled the drivers, then windows still wouldn't tell me to install drivers upon restart because it doesn't think I have any hardware plugged in. the only reason it would tell me to install drivers would be because it detected hardware that didn't have any drivers installed. that means that if I uninstall the drivers, it won't prompt me to install them again because it thinks I have no hardware plugged in
Date: August 27, 2013 07:59PM
Hi,

if Windows asked to install some drivers, it means Windows has found some hardware. The reason why it is saying it can't install the drivers is that there is a mismatch in Windows (something corrupted maybe) or that the hardware is for some reason broken.

Did you uninstall all the drivers spotted as incorrect in Hardware Manager ? If yes, the last thing you can do would be to make a fresh install as pirx said (don't forget to make a safe copy of all your stuff in a safe place before). If no, you should do that first.

Date: August 28, 2013 12:11PM
yes, I tried uninstalling all the stuff that was incorrect in hardware manager. and windows didn't ask me for a driver install on startup, because it thinks that I have no sound hardware plugged in anyway.

I might just get a new laptop. this one has been on it's way out for a long time, ever since the screen broke a couple of years ago... (that's a long story)

the only reason why I kept it because it was the only pc that I had with windows xp, and which could run gp3 with no glitches.

i'm going to get my win 7 harddrive upgraded/or a new win 7 pc soon, so i'll get rid of that laptop and put a dual boot on my new pc.

thanks for your support guys!

:-)

by the way, gp3 sounds editor is working fine now, I figured that the problem was with the gp3sound.dat file that I was editing, not the sound editor. I tried working on my win 7 pc with another gp3sound.dat file and it worked fine.
Date: August 28, 2013 02:36PM
Sorry you couldn't find a way to resolve your issue. As I said your sound card is probably broken, this can happen with old computers and yours seems to be really old ;)

GP3 is running fine with XP on a dual boot. Go for it !

Date: August 28, 2013 06:32PM
ok, thank you very much guys! :-)

as soon as I get a new pc, I will install both windows and put gp3 on the xp side of the dual boot.

thanks again!
Date: August 31, 2013 07:28PM
I know that gp3 works fine on a win xp and win 7 dual boot, but will it work fine on a windows xp virtual machine inside windows 7?
Date: August 31, 2013 08:24PM
Posted by: pirx
not really!
-it only worx in software-mode, not in hardware-mode, not with mods..
Date: August 31, 2013 09:35PM
what do you mean?
Date: August 31, 2013 11:23PM
Posted by: mortal
I would say that if XP is running in 'virtual-mode' within Win7, it cannot access the full hardware suite of functions available if it where running stand-alone, on a partition (dual-boot) or on a single boot XP only installed rig. I've never heard of anyone actually doing this.
The majority of the mods require hardware mode to run properly, and if you are in software mode, you have no hope at all. Not having played GP3 since the beginning of time....I forget the complexities of the hw/sw thing, but I do know that older rigs have to use sw to get anything at all to work.
You really need a decent rig with a graphics card with at least a gig of onboard memory, then you could run GP4 as well.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy