Grand Prix 3 and Windows 8

Posted by c7r6h9 
Grand Prix 3 and Windows 8
Date: July 16, 2013 03:36PM
Posted by: c7r6h9
Hi all.

I've been having this problem with Grand Prix 3 for a while now, and I finally have decided to ask for help after many different things.

The problem is, I just can't get it to run in hardware mode well.

It runs in software mode absolutely fine (average PO is 40% in wet, even looking at a full grid, and 70 in the wet) - but when I go to hardware mode, the PO skyrockets (I'm talking 900-1200%).

Here's some specs:

Samsung Ultrabook (not a notebook, an actual laptop)
6GB RAM
AMD A8-4500M quad-core CPU with AMD Radeon HD 7640 series GPU (integrated)
Windows 8

GP3 itself runs fine in software mode, but in Hardware mode it just skyrockets. I've already tried disabling DirectX hardware acceleration, Direct3D and DirectDraw acceleration too. But, although it helps the framerate and PO, the game looks AWFUL (all the textures are messed up so much that it makes the game basically unplayable).

I've tried running GP3 with all compatibility settings (even Windows 95 compatibility) and it had no effect at all.

I would be REALLY grateful if anyone could help me :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 05:27PM by c7r6h9.
Re: Grand Prix 3 problem
Date: July 16, 2013 04:09PM
Posted by: pirx
sorry to disappoint you, but gp3 in HW-mode with an onboard-graficchip is still impossible to play nowadays + the game needs direct3D,-draw and I believe -directX too.

did you recalibrate the sound inside game? (sometimes this slows it down)

maybe buy a second-hand winXP-machine? (but keep in mind people reported problems with ATI-cards, NVidia is much better here)

hopefully some other guys here tell you that I´m wrong...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 04:11PM by pirx.
Date: July 16, 2013 04:13PM
Thanks Pirx :)

I can't find a way to recalibrate the sound though (this is regular GP3, not GP32K).

Also, I do have an XP machine with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium chipset, but as soon as more than 5 cars are visible on track, the PO skyrockets in HW mode from about 30% to about 150% (except when RCR distances are 1000, and that ruins the graphics of the cars since they're images, not models).
Date: July 16, 2013 04:39PM
soundcalibration: options->sound->recalibrate (not existing in gp3v1.13?)

latest grafic & sounddrivers installed?
RCR-value: 3780 is default, 1000 is awfull low, hmmm.....?

maybe you don´t have the latest chipset-drivers for your mainboard?
Date: July 16, 2013 05:19PM
1) No, it doesn't exist in GP3 V1.13 :(

2) As far as I am aware, I have the latest drivers.

3) I know, but to get it to run smooth in HW mode on my XP machine, I have to use those distances.
Date: July 16, 2013 07:42PM
..does the game crash at startup during grafic-calibration? -did you do that calibration?
->look at game-directory and post gconfig.txt
->what cpu GHz-value?
->what grafic-card at XP-machine?
Date: July 16, 2013 08:04PM
Posted by: holemad
FYI : i bought a second hand XP sp3 (intel 2.4 GHz), installed 2G of RAM and put in a simple Nvidia card. Runs like a dream...
Are you sure that you have a real video card and not some chip onboard?
Date: July 16, 2013 11:05PM
I could do the graphic calibraton, but when it does the HW calibration it goes SUPER slow (about 3 minutes for one calibration). It doesn't crash though.

CPU value is 1.9GHz per core on the W8 machine, and about 2GHz (single-core) on the XP machine.

My gconfig.txt for the W8 machine:

;gp3 generated file - do not edit

[Software 3d] good 128
[AMD Radeon HD 7640G] good 128
[AMD Radeon HD 7640G] good 128
Date: July 16, 2013 11:07PM
holemad, I would like to be able to put in a better graphics card, but both machines are laptops...

Both have integrated graphics.
Date: July 17, 2013 06:30AM
play it in SW-mode, your notebooks are to weak on grafics!

there are some nice tracks in SW-mode you can find ..
Date: July 17, 2013 10:20AM
I would be fine doing that, pirx, if it were not for GPxSAT's inability to show up in software mode... I know I don't really need it, but I think it helps.
Date: July 17, 2013 10:55AM
I think the problem is being caused by this in-cockpit mirror (outlined in red for the purposes of illustration):

If I could get rid of this it may improve things. It doesn't appear on my XP machine in HW mode, or in SW mode on either PC.

NB: I was using the 1996 mod for this, along with the GP32k steering wheel readout and custom LCD, but it probably doesn't make a shred of difference.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 01:33PM by c7r6h9.
Date: July 17, 2013 09:33PM
Posted by: villy
I've the same kind of problem and I think i've tried anything to get the game working.. It's so frustrating!

Game works on softwaremode, I have nice textures in hardware mode, but the PO is very unstable, between 0 and 900. I've updated the drivers for my soundcard en my videocard, tried any type of compatibility, even tried running it at 800x600 (gave just a little effect) put the mirrors off, reduce hardware 3d etc etc...

I even got Windows XP installed on this PC with VMware, but unfortunately no improvement.. Does anyone have a last idea so I can play my favorite game? :(

My PC specs:

Windows 8
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 2500
Realtek HD Audio
Date: July 18, 2013 12:09AM
interesting screenshot & report!

for me it seems win8 and it´s drivers, maybe 3d-technics relevated issues are causing this

one thing I can say, because I tested here on a 2x2,8GHz Notebook with an NVidia card GT9600M:

1. everything runs smooth on a native winXP-partition
2. forget every OS-emulation (I tested VMware/Parallels ->only works smooth for GP3-SW-mode, in HW-mode PO acts like on your system)
*. maybe somebody is playing it under wine in linux, could be possible..? better (1.)
3. maybe try gp4, many mods arrise..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 12:11AM by pirx.
Date: July 18, 2013 07:46PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
pirx écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
[...]
> 2. forget every OS-emulation (I tested VMware/Parallels ->only works smooth for
> GP3-SW-mode, in HW-mode PO acts like on your system)

Correct : virtual machines are emulating a generic graphic card, so you can't play on HW mode.
I tried GP3 with Seven on a virtual hard disk (vhd) that uses the graphic card but it didn't worked for me. (GP4 and rFactor are running smoothly though)

> *. maybe somebody is playing it under wine in linux, could be possible..?
I've never heard anywhere that GPx series where compatible with Wine, so didn't tested it.

Not sure as well if someone succeed running GP3 on win8.

Date: July 18, 2013 08:34PM
maybe a good idea:

-rename this thread to something like "GP3 and Windows8.."?
Date: July 25, 2013 05:27PM
Thanks for all the help.

I can't really improve my XP machine, it's a laptop too.

But good idea for the topic title Pirx.
Date: July 25, 2013 09:29PM
c7r6h9 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't really improve my XP machine, it's a
> laptop too.

..yes, the problem seems to be the onboard-graficchip. to run GP3 flawless you need a "real" chip like Nvidia, ATI,.. but people with ATI-cards reported generally more problems over the last year..

cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy