Another Windows 7 GP3 Problem. How do i even get it to run?

Posted by pironi14 
Okay i'm having a bit of a tough time. I have updated my computer for the first time in about 10 years. I was hopeful i wouldnt have problems with GP3 since alot of users here do seem to have it working.

Im running windows 7 64bit.

Currently i cant even get the game to run , all i get is a black screen. I tried Decrypting the game but that fails. GP3edit (very important for me) doesnt even load either and is said to be incompatible. I'm very sad. Is there anything i can do?

A step by step guide for getting GP3 to work on Windows 7 would be a great help for me and others im sure. I did search the forum but i thought that the best thing would be to just get help direct.

*update - I did a fresh install and now the game will load but when loading a race all i get is sound and a black screen. This is from a complete fresh untouched install

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 01:03AM by pironi14.
I am having the same problem and would benefit from th eadvice of others as well ...

I have tried all of the "compatibility" modes in W7 and none work. For me, I am running GP3 with the NO-CD exe as well as the original. I can see graphics and begin races but the frame rate is below 5 FPS. Very difficult to diagnose.

ANy ideas from the pros? Running fine on an XP SP3 machine but not W7 ...
I think the step by step should be that way (correct me if I'm wrong) :
- install game from CD ;
- install 1.13 patch ;
- install no-cd patch ;
- do a right clic on the GP3.exe and go to properties ;
- go to Compatibility tab and set compatibility to Windows XP (SP3 is better) AND check "Run as Administrator" ;
- install GPxPatch and set the compatibility mode the same way ;
- Run GPxPatch and set CPU to 0 ;
- test the game.

Now it should work. If it doesn't, set GPxPatch in debug mode with verbosity High and post the log here in that thread to have some more help.

Btw, you can have some other answers by searching in the forum using the advanced search engine. Mortal gave a lot of answers to that subject for GP3 and GP4 as well. (hint : '7' gives best results than 'seven';)

EricMoinet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the step by step should be that way
> (correct me if I'm wrong) :
> - install game from CD ;
> - install 1.13 patch ;
> - install no-cd patch ;
> - do a right clic on the GP3.exe and go to
> properties ;
> - go to Compatibility tab and set compatibility to
> Windows XP (SP3 is better) AND check "Run as
> Administrator" ;
> - install GPxPatch and set the compatibility mode
> the same way ;
> - Run GPxPatch and set CPU to 0 ;
> - test the game.
>
> Now it should work. If it doesn't, set GPxPatch in
> debug mode with verbosity High and post the log
> here in that thread to have some more help.
>
> Btw, you can have some other answers by searching
> in the forum using the advanced search engine.
> Mortal gave a lot of answers to that subject for
> GP3 and GP4 as well. (hint : '7' gives best
> results than 'seven';)

I have the game running now, well kinda, the framerate is really really really low. I also dont know howto do the CPU '0' bit. Lastly is there a version of GP3edit out there compatible with windows 7? as it wont load at all
pironi14 écrivait:
> -----
> I have the game running now, well kinda, the
> framerate is really really really low. I also dont
> know how to do the CPU '0' bit.

If you take a look at GPxPach in the first tab it is located a little bit upper the Help button.

> Lastly is there a
> version of GP3edit out there compatible with
> windows 7? as it wont load at all

Forget it :(

Gentlemen, GP3 hates W7 with a passion, especially 64bit W7. The game is now ovewr ten years old, and the best way to do it is to run it on a dedicated pc with XP. Another tried and true method is to get it up and running on an XP rig, then copy it to the W7 rig and test it. No guarantee, and as usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
mortal écrivait:
> Another tried and true method is to
> get it up and running on an XP rig, then copy it
> to the W7 rig and test it.

I will try this one as my graphic card doesn't accelerate the game no more on my old XP 32 bit.

@pironi14 : if you feel confortable with that you can also make a partition with XP 32 bit and dual boot on your PC. Be aware that you will see both partitions on your hard drive as hey are both windows partitions.

I still play it on my Penthium IV 2.8 GHz and Windows 2k!
And i live in fear...;)
Yep, your best option is to partition and install XP 32bit, then run a dual boot manager. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Well, after all my Win2k PC works well, no internet connection, actually i use it only for Gp3.
The game is installed on a secondary internal HD, the OS in classical C:
I have thought about a partition many times, but 'till it works...
Bye
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy