2013 British GP - Reflections (***SPOILERS***)

Posted by EC83 
2013 British GP - Reflections (***SPOILERS***)
Date: June 30, 2013 07:35PM
Posted by: EC83
Well... What'd everyone think?
(Got to say, think this must be the first time since about 2003 that a thread never got made till after a race!)

I think that overall it's great for the Championship, as everyone's closed up nicely. Great for Nico to see him win again. And a long time since there were so many tyre failures during a race - good that it's being looked at, although it seems to be related to the kerb as Gary Anderson pointed out rather than the structure of the tyres themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 07:36PM by EC83.
I don't know whether the kerb is to blame, to be honest. Gary Anderson pinpointed Turn 4 as a potential culprit, but both Massa and Hamilton's failures both seemed to begin before that corner. At least, that's what I've seen. Plus, it's never been an issue before either.

The overwhelming feeling after the race for me was an immense amount of sympathy for Sutil. I think he was definitely on for a podium, but after the safety car he didn't have much chance against the Ferraris, Hamilton and Webber. A great shame.

Webber and Massa both drove well to recover; they were helped out a little in some respect by the safety car and other factors, but they did well to recover. I heard that the BBC were very quick to blame Grosjean for Webber's start-line accident, but from what I've seen he's not to blame.

I've got mixed feelings, personally. It's always nice to see a Rosberg win, but I don't think the podium had the right people on it.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Re: 2013 British GP - Reflections (***SPOILERS***)
Date: June 30, 2013 08:18PM
Posted by: aagancia
This is the first time I saw a race thread here made after the race since I signed up (2004).

The tyre failures made it a dramatic race. Really feel gutted for Hamilton, he seemed in control and on course for a win. Bad luck also for Seb(though I was happy to see him have gear trouble ;-) ) to make the championship more exciting.

Great recovery from Alonso, Hamilton, and Webber, even Massa. Lotus messed up and lost opportunity for good points for Kimi. Nico got really lucky. The 2 leading cars retired, then if the safety car went in earlier by maybe 2 or 3 laps, Webber might have taken the win. But then again, he was there fighting in a good spot to capitalize on all that.

I see the tyre failures differently, I don't think its the kerbs. There seems to be no major change made on them, races right before F1 did not seem to have any issues with the kerbs either.
Date: June 30, 2013 10:03PM
Posted by: Isaint
Not a Hamilton Fan by a long way ........ but he probably would have won this one, real bad luck. Seb got busted don't like to see it but again it's got to happen sometime and it's good for racing. As for Alonso ... the guy is simply a (Machine!) Respect. Good runs by Webber and Massa also nice to see these mid-field battles.

Tyre blow outs marred the race .... the F.I.A has called an emergency meeting with Pirelli so, no I don't think it has anything to do with kerbing. As has already been mentioned some of the blow-outs had nothing to do with the area of kerbing Gary Anderson referred to.
What-ever it needs to be sorted quickly because the situation is putting drivers in real danger now and it's simply unacceptable and that's putting it mildly.

Glad to see Nico Win .... it was by no means, his race to win but like they say, 'You have to be in it ... to win it.'

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 10:48PM by Isaint.
Date: June 30, 2013 11:39PM
aagancia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the first time I saw a race thread here
> made after the race since I signed up (2004).

I don't know exactly since I wasn't on these forums back then, but the last time might have been Hungary 2003: [www.grandprixgames.org]
(I came across that thread by accident years ago, took ages to find it again just now!) LOL.

The situation at Mercedes is beginning to remind me of the situation at Williams in 2001: Nico being the Ralf and Lewis being the Montoya. Anyone who was into F1 back then might know what I'm meaning - the similarities are uncanny for me.
Lewis did drive very well all weekend and was unlucky to have a tyre fail on him, but Nico drove perfectly too and was thoroughly deserving of the win.

Date: June 30, 2013 11:52PM
Posted by: Isaint
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> aagancia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is the first time I saw a race thread here
> > made after the race since I signed up (2004).
>
> I don't know exactly since I wasn't on these
> forums back then, but the last time might have
> been Hungary 2003:
> [www.grandprixgames.org]
> e=1
> (I came across that thread by accident years ago,
> took ages to find it again just now!) LOL.
>
> The situation at Mercedes is beginning to remind
> me of the situation at Williams in 2001: Nico
> being the Ralf and Lewis being the Montoya. Anyone
> who was into F1 back then might know what I'm
> meaning - the similarities are uncanny for me.
> Lewis did drive very well all weekend and was
> unlucky to have a tyre fail on him, but Nico drove
> perfectly too and was thoroughly deserving of the
> win.

Yes Uncanny really .... I know exactly What you mean.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 01, 2013 09:08PM
Posted by: Slash
the moment the tyre blew for Perez was quite scary as Alonso was quite close and so was the bridge...

it was exciting however, because let's face it, we love motorsport because of that hidden ingredient, danger, not qute hidden but you know what i mean. i felt bad for Massa, he was driving a great race and his starts was awesome
Date: July 01, 2013 09:35PM
Posted by: Soutsen
Kerbs? What a nonsense. This kerb was there since 2009, and this year everyone have same tyres and you think that only 4 of them run quite extensively on this spiked kerb to puncture the tires? It is not kerb. Teams had practice and qualy to notice if kerb could scratch their tyres.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 09:37PM by Soutsen.
Date: July 01, 2013 10:46PM
Posted by: gav
But they've never ran on these kerbs since the tyre construction changed over the winter. If there are clear cuts in the shoulder of the tyre then I can't see it being anything other than the kerbs. I can't all be debris.
Date: July 02, 2013 01:04AM
It was also a different situation in the race. The tyres were being driven over the kerbs harder, more times. So that would've made it much easier for the kerbs to cut the tyres.

Date: July 02, 2013 01:50AM
Posted by: mortal
It wasn't the kerbs....

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 02, 2013 05:13AM
Posted by: Morbid
If it was the kerbs, then it is kind of strange that none of the support series had any problems.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 02, 2013 07:48AM
Posted by: Soutsen
According to FIA guidelines, a F1 track needs to be homologated at least 60 days before hosting the event, so if it is linked with kerbs, it is anyway FIA's fault. Not BDRC's or Pirelli's. But I am still think the main problem is tyres - teams had such kind of problems with the punctures before - in Bahrain (Hamilton and Massa) and in Catalonia (Vergne and Di Resta) for example.

The tyres were cut in half, that's what atleast I have seen. So was thinking: If a crash happened in one of the support races before (which are very likely to happen in series' like GP2 etc) and one debris got stuck in the gras directly beneath the curb, then it would be possible for people to slash their tyres or damage them to crash later on the track. It doesn't necessarily have to be an obvious part sticking out, if it's sharp enough it can damage the tyres nontheless.
Also Hamilton and Massa first got their tyre-problem, directly after turn 4 (if it was that corner, it could also be the braking zone of turn 3). Later the other drivers suffered the damage at the end of hangar straight, so it could be that the small debris got pressed down deeper into the gras and didn't immediately slash the tyre but only damage it critically.

Obviously checking the track wouldn't find such a debris (as it wasn't there beforehand), the support-series wouldn't suffer problems either (as they'd produce the debris), so this would be a possibility. If there was no crash at all in the support races (is it even possible? ^^), then that part would be wrong any case. But it could be possible that the F1 did produce the small debris itself because there were quite a few hits in the first few laps before Hamilton got his incident.
Greetings
Silverman
Date: July 02, 2013 11:14PM
Posted by: Morbid
That does not compute:

xSilvermanx
the support-series wouldn't suffer problems either (as they'd produce the debris)

The only way this would pan out was, if it was the last support series in their last session on the last laps. Otherwise, those that came after them, including later laps in the same series that produced the debris, would suffer the same as the F1 cars.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy