Far Cry 64Bit Patch

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Far Cry 64Bit Patch
Date: May 12, 2005 11:16PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Seems finally, the 64bit Patch for Far Cry has been released, this is the first game that I've seen which will show the real power of the AMD64 chips :)

Problem is, it'll only work with a AMD64 or Intel's 64bit equivalent and must have the new Windows XP x64 OS system.... So with there being only GFX drivers for Windows 64, that proves, not very useful ;) I will probably try it later however, there are drivers for my onboard sound card...

anyway its here :P - [www.3dgamers.com] and its big :|

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2005 11:19PM by Ianwoollam.
Re: Far Cry 64Bit Patch
Date: May 12, 2005 11:22PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I dunno why people call it the 'true power' of the 64, I mean its just an instruction set. There's nothing saying it'll run faster in 64bit apps than in 32 - 64 bit is like SSE2,3 or MMX, nothing more.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: May 13, 2005 09:09AM
Posted by: chet
show sum shots. from the game with patch :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 13, 2005 10:52AM
Posted by: gav
Why Chet? It won't look any difference. I've not read up on it, but unless it's more than just a 64-bit patch, all it will change is some of the software code. The textures will remain identical I'd assume.
Date: May 13, 2005 11:16AM
Didn't say True Power :P I said Real Power :)

Actually from what I've seen from reviews, framerates have gone up, and so has the quality, as shown below... All shots have been taken in 1024x768 Very High Detail settings...

original

64bit

original

64bit

There are more shots, but I've got work to do now, can't be getting links all day.... search in google for it :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2005 11:22AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: May 13, 2005 12:16PM
Cheers for that. In the case of the graphics, that's probsably more to do with engine optimisations.....ihn any case its good to see someone pushing 64 bit tech. There's a lot of misinformation around about this 64 bit stuff, right now its simply an instruction set which lets amd64 cpus deal with the 64bits, just like intel's EMT64, though that is a slightly inferior technology as far as I've heard. Though actually its likely only weaker because the p4 is such an ageing architecture.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: May 13, 2005 12:33PM
I've only looked at the 1st 2 shots briefly Ian (there's a class in with me atm, and I've at least got to pretend to work :P) but they arne't even comparable... look at the mountain in the background and then compare it to the 2nd shot... they don't even look as if they've been taken with the same directx version, let alone graphics card... :S
Date: May 13, 2005 12:41PM
Reading the 64-bit review at AMDZone, the patch includes a hell of a lot of extra content and textures, so that's the reason for the different and better graphics.

There is no performance increase due to the extra content and textures, rather than instruction sets making better use of them.

That explains the rather large size of the patch too, rather than simply being a .exe patch.
Date: May 13, 2005 12:53PM

This is the only image of framerates I have, only a 7FPS advance, not exacly groundbreaking, but with the GFX advances... I suppose I can let them off :) I'm gonna try and install the latest x64 this weekend, and use my onboard soundcard... see what its like :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2005 12:55PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: May 13, 2005 01:04PM
Different platforms probably, so it's all down to driver revisions and where you test and things, but compartatively, here's AMDZone's:

Date: May 13, 2005 01:11PM
Iiiiiinnnnnntteresting ;)

I'll give it a shot over the weekend, got nowt better to do ;)

Date: May 13, 2005 03:59PM
Posted by: _tux_
qwerty > go and watch the winhec key notes. loads of win 64 demos showing how 64bit is better. all 64 bit does really is cope way better with LARGE amounts of data
Date: May 13, 2005 06:29PM
I've seen it,m thanks :)

Nonetheless, while it does allow addressing of vastly more memory, and data, in terms of gaming (when it was originally a 32 bit game) it won't yield any real improvements, from what I've read anyway.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: May 13, 2005 06:56PM
Posted by: _tux_
yeah i agree with that. but it does let you use higher quality graphics (with no fps hit) because you can shuv more data down the pipe :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy