New GTR Demo Available!

Posted by markko 
Re: New GTR Demo Available!
Date: February 13, 2005 01:29PM
Posted by: anze89
does anyone else think that AI is too fast? the best AI has done 2:13.xxx and it was set on 100% the best qualify time on last year spa race was 2:15.xxx (day qualify), so I think that AI in the game is way too fast as they drive in the dark faster than people in real life at day light.

Date: February 14, 2005 08:51PM
Posted by: smorr
Man, i really want this one, i havent played any of the demos (damn 56k), although i did dl one to find that some files were missing, but one question, how can i tell if my computer works with the starforce or whatever thingy?

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: February 16, 2005 08:35PM
Posted by: Glyn
There is a review of GTR in the March issue of PC Gamer (UK). It got *spoiler* 92% *spoiler*

Not read it myself, but its quite a big review.

Date: February 16, 2005 08:53PM
Posted by: JustinZiarko
Wow, that's actually very impressive considering mags normally don't take too well to racing simulators.
Date: February 16, 2005 11:22PM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, but this one has 2 modes down from simulation ;)
Date: February 17, 2005 05:55PM
I think thats why the score is so high, because as a 'game' it is very very good. It only starts to go a bit iffy when you look at the simness (is that a word? :P)

Date: February 17, 2005 09:56PM
Posted by: jpmfan
Its probably my driving style but i found with it on Simulation that the back of the car always snapped out when i was breaking for corners, i also found i had to take corners a gear lower than it said because otherwise it would just understeer off. i tried it with the middle game mode, semi pro i think and it worked fine. its is my driving style or does the car need some more setup from standard?
Date: February 17, 2005 10:16PM
Posted by: Guimengo
probably your setup has to be changed a bit, it's a big step from semi-sim to sim ;-)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:11PM
jpmfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i had to take corners a gear lower than
> it said because otherwise it would just understeer
> off.

The problem ive found with GTR is it suffers from chronic understeer thanks to its tyre model, and no warning that the back end is going to break loose either. The end result is your best of starting the race with brown overalls.

Not found a solution yet, other than to do all your braking in a straight line and turn in with a bit of throttle.

Date: February 18, 2005 12:24AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Theres no solution because its a physics engine "problem". All ISI sims have it. Deatched ride and blind faith when driving rather being able to feel the car

Best example is lock a wheel and the FFB doesnt react, the car doesnt react. All you is some smoke and noise.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 18, 2005 12:16PM
Posted by: markko
Aah good, its not just me then spinning under braking. I have to brake so nervously so I can get used to the car. Putting soft tyres on does help, but I still get no warning of an impending spin.
Date: February 20, 2005 02:02PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Wazz a wheel changes your whole experince of a racing game - get one!
Date: February 21, 2005 03:59PM
GTR scored an 8 in EDGE magazine, which doesn't sound too impresive, until you find out they only gave GT4 a 7, really is surprising coming from a mainly console based mag.
Date: February 21, 2005 04:34PM
hmmm i wouldnt read too much into mag scores, more what people say about it on here (dave gave a review of it ages ago) and on rsc

although i remember last time we slated pc gamer's simulation reviews we got trevor Witt coming on here and justifiying himself :P
Date: February 21, 2005 04:44PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I think PC Gamer were the people who slated GPL in 98 cause it had no commentary or menu music lol! :P

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: February 21, 2005 04:50PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Magazine reviews mean jack. Usually its whoever pays them the most that gets the best reviews. And the guy who slagged NR2003 cos the cars pulled left.

I listen to what the community says. This is especially true with the new EA NASCAR sim, which is getting cracking reviews. then the community get there hands on it, say its quite arcady, the car models are dreadfull and EAs usuall lack of detail on the tracks struck again.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 21, 2005 05:51PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Believe it or not a good place for solid reviews is teletext :P

Date: February 21, 2005 06:05PM
Quite agree, mag scores for race-sims mean very little, just found it interesting they rated it higher than GT4, in EDGE's defence, they've given bad scores to some big games, they seem to get what makes a game.
Date: February 21, 2005 06:35PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I liked the demo, even managed to play with my keyboard :). Got some sweet slides... until my lappie started acting up again, and giving silly random slowdowns :';(
Date: February 21, 2005 07:34PM
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Believe it or not a good place for solid reviews
> is teletext :P
>
> ================================
>
> UKGPL Season 10 Drivers Championship: Coming soon

550 all the way!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy