Actually, all racing sims are @#$%&

Posted by Anonymous User 
Actually, all racing sims are @#$%&
Date: July 28, 2008 01:38AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
So there.

Especially when you consider that everyone looks for something different, you can't please everyone. The fact is that we are in a bit of a niche in the market, nothing has perfect AI, nothing has perfect physics and nothing has perfect crash damage. Nothing has an engine which actually makes driving in the rain realistic.

After a couple of hours playing rFactor today, it's all hideously clear how unfinished and utterly lacking in just about every area it is, yet it is what most people consider to be the best right now.

The problem is that nobody cares about racing sims anymore, it's all arcade. Nobody wants to invest the money in a minority like ourselves, and until someone does, we're all at eachothers throats.

In other news, @#$%& you all. I'm off to play Portal until I puke!
Re: Actually, all racing sims are @#$%&
Date: July 28, 2008 01:43AM
Posted by: sasjag

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 28, 2008 03:20AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
Play LFS! =]

No, really, I've never tried rfactor, but i've been playing lfs for nearly 3 years now and I just love how well put together it is. If you don't care for real content, it's the way to go.

IMO, naturally =P
Date: July 28, 2008 11:15AM
Posted by: gav
LMAO Sim!

The main problem in the market isn't one of abilities of developers, but of rights. We'd no doubt still have a GPx-style sim of note if FOM and/or the FIA weren't so closed-minded money-grabbers.

That's not to everyone's taste, but it is to the taste of the masses who've been left with not a lot since F1C and GP4's demise.

LFS's good, but it's hardly hardcore in the same way iRacing is. rFactor's got it's lovers and haters, and almost too many mods to choose from. There's things like GTR and GT Legends, which never took off beyond a few months of interest for most it seems - GT Legends suffered the same as GPL, in that it just didn't have mass-appeal, no matter how good it is. iRacing, while probably being the best all-rounder in terms of realism, is poorly set-out financially and doesn't have anything in the way of a top-level car. It's also far too structured at the moment, being everything a community isn't, but hopefully that will change and they'll allow private league races.

It's a niche market all right, but the choice for you is out there if you look for it. Personally, I'm quite happy sticking to GPL and NR2003/GTP until I decide whether I can get into iRacing enough to subscribe permanently. rFactor's never done it for me, and LFS was nothing but a bit of fun. I realised how crap modern F1 sims were when I got into GPL, so they've never interested me since anyway.

Racing against the AI is dead. Accept it. Online is all that matters.
Date: July 28, 2008 12:39PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The GTR2/RACE07 communities are actually pretty huge though Gav. Sure, we dropped the games pretty qucikly, but most didn't. Sites like RSC, NoGrip and GTR4U are overwhelmed with the popularity of the Simbin/Blimey titles.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 28, 2008 03:06PM
Posted by: IWE
I wonder how things will go with GTR Evolution, because to me it seems like it doesnt have much new to offer for people who owns GTR2 and Race07.. Communities will be spreading again slightly more I guess..?

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 28, 2008 03:26PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
iracing.

Oval, and road.

As gav said no top end car, but no one has a lisence to drive it atm anyway and the lower catogries are so much fun. the late model just rules. atm they have a "fun" week where everyone no matter what lisecnce can drive in any series, and they have the Late model running at lowes. its just like Daytona/talladega in NR2003. and the racing dosent effect your incident points, its a stress release week of sorts.

had alot of fun i can tell you.

Date: July 28, 2008 03:27PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how things will go with GTR Evolution,
> because to me it seems like it doesnt have much
> new to offer for people who owns GTR2 and Race07..
> Communities will be spreading again slightly more
> I guess..?

GTR Evolution is an addon for Race07 though. So it's the same community. Like when GP3 2000 was released for GP3.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 29, 2008 06:08PM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
Yeah, I'd love to try iRacing, but it's waay off my budget, and besides, I don't wanna support that kind of financial model, not a fan of subcription games at all. I think that will be the main problem with this game, the community will be too small and there won't be long term players, so making friends will be harder too.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be the new nkpro, promising game that no one ever plays.
Date: July 30, 2008 03:05AM
Posted by: NeoLiot
of course there is no perfect sim game as well there is no perfect fighting game, or shooting game... so... suck it up and play what we've got... which is very good...

-------------------------------------------
Date: July 30, 2008 10:23AM
Posted by: Morbid
Amen NeoLiot! Life is about appreciating what you have instead depreciating it.

If you lack the ability to appreciate what you already do have, then you don't need anything new or more, because you will only be in a new situation where you, again, are unable to appreciate it.

Look at the really good racers. Look at how much joy the get from sims, that by any standard now, are old. All the people I know that are top-level simmers are driving whores. They will race anything at least until something better comes along.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 02, 2008 12:39AM
Posted by: Monza972
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how things will go with GTR Evolution,
> because to me it seems like it doesnt have much
> new to offer for people who owns GTR2 and Race07..
> Communities will be spreading again slightly more
> I guess..?

I haven't got one Simbin title, so it will be a first of many buys from their company. From the videos i've seen GTR Evo is pretty catchy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy