rFactor vs My Computer: We lost the battle...

Posted by Senna 
rFactor vs My Computer: We lost the battle...
Date: June 24, 2007 05:40AM
Posted by: Senna
Alright. I'm in a rFactor league, F1Career-Sim.com, we use CTDPF12005 cars with modified physics and liveries of 2007 season, and after the Nurburgring race, my computer is almost dying now, it cant run rFactor properly, it crashes when loading the intro movies after ISI logo intro, it crashes when selecting another team car (for example from Renault to Honda) and it also crashes randomly while driving. And I cant run the game with something higher than DX7 or it will crash more often, which means that the graphics are crap. It happened before, but never during my races in this season. I saw others in the races being kicked out by computer issues, but luckily it never happened with me. Until now.

That said, my computer lost the battle to make rF run flawlessy. It means that I need to buy a new computer.

Meanwhile, my laptop RUNS RFACTOR FLAWLESSY. NEVER, since i bought this laptop, it NEVER CRASHED. And it can run better graphics without crashing. (its a HP PAVILLION dv6000, SPECIAL EDITION. I've posted the specs before, check rFactor screeenshots thread when I asked Karan about his graphics config)

It makes me wonder WTF is happening with my computer - that is supposed to be better for this game - but since I cant figure out whats going on here, I'm going to run the next F1CS races with my laptop, attaching my steering wheel and my computer monitor. I did it for nurburgring, and I'll do it for Silverstone unless I have a new computer before the race.

Current specs: P4 2.4 GHz 1GB RAM 2 HDs (MAIN HD 40gb, 2nd HD 80Gb), ASUS MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600GT.

I've tried to reformat and reinstall everything in my current computer, updating drivers and also getting all the windows updates, but nothing has changed - the game still behaves in the same way. as for the intro crash, I've just renamed the movies and music folders so that it would skip the intro, and it worked. But the other crashes... no solution. :( And to make the things worse, sometimes when I turn on/reboot my computer, during the Windows XP loading screen, the loading bar freezes - which means that the computer crashed again. It happens more often after playing rF or after a rF crash.

I dont want to finish the season running with my laptop because I'm sure that since rFactor is a very demanding game, It could make my laptop suffer through the excessive time running it for F1CS test sessions and races. That said, I'm going to use the time before F1CS Silverstone race to see if I can buy a new computer. The following desired specs, given my budget, are:

INTEL CORE DUO 2 E6420, 2GB RAM,
GEFORCE 7900GS PCI EXPRESS 512mb DDR3 or RADEON X1900GT, 256mb, PCI. (more to come, depending of what I can find in the market here in Brazil.)

Any comments about my problems with rF, suggestions or solutions to make rF run more stable would be appreciated. But for now, I'll be racing with my laptop, i'm sick of my current computer.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
tried a different direct x mode? tho crashing at intro shouldnt affect that.

if its only just started happening, or getting worse sounds like a hardware failure, try run memtestx86 and see if your memory might be stoofed.

google is your friend btw.

oh and im sure your laptop isnt going to suffer, if its the laptop i am thinking of, and im not searching through 92 pages of @#$%& for specs, its an amazing laptop and probably would laugh at you for thinking it would suffer with rfactor

Re: rFactor vs My Computer: We lost the battle...
Date: June 24, 2007 08:56AM
NeilPearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tried a different direct x mode? tho crashing at
> intro shouldnt affect that.
>
>

I tried, yes. DX9, more likely to crash. DX8, still likely to crash. DX7, stable for half a hour but still likely to crash.

>
> if its only just started happening, or getting
> worse sounds like a hardware failure, try run
> memtestx86 and see if your memory might be
> stoofed.
>

Well, It happens since I've bought rFactor. It only got worse in the last 2 weeks.

> google is your friend btw.
>

Yeah, I've done an extensive search today, then I was pissed because nothing helped to fix it, and I started to look for a new computer.

> oh and im sure your laptop isnt going to suffer,
> if its the laptop i am thinking of, and im not
> searching through 92 pages of @#$%& for specs, its
> an amazing laptop and probably would laugh at you
> for thinking it would suffer with rfactor

Well, I was just scared of toasting it after several hours of racing :P

HP Pavillion dv6000 SE
AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-56
1.81 GHz, 1 GB of RAM
120GB of Hard Disk Space, Windows XP SP2 and a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 256mb

And according to a benchmark test I've done here with an app suggested by my dad, the result stated that the laptop is running with half of its capability. :S

is it only rfactor it happens with?

do you get some programs that feel unstable?

also does it happen with mods, or with standard rfactor cars or both mods and standard rfactor cars.

Date: June 24, 2007 10:29AM
Posted by: gav
Has it suddenly got warmer in the last 2 weeks or so? Definitely sounds like something is being asked to do something it can't do due to overheating or under-specced. If it crashes in other games, then it's certainly something relating to that.

The spec you've listed for a new PC is fine. I assume this is a pre-built machine, given that you've not listed other components. If so, watch out that they don't skimp on the PSU like most do - cost cutting in an area you really don't want to be cutting costs on.
Date: June 24, 2007 03:48PM
NeilPearson Wrote:
> is it only rfactor it happens with?
>

Yes. Although like I posted above, Windows sometimes crash when loading after I reboot (when rF crashes). Or, in other days, it crashes when I turn on.

> do you get some programs that feel unstable?
>

No. Only rFactor. Every other game and apps are running perfectly.

> also does it happen with mods, or with standard
> rfactor cars or both mods and standard rfactor
> cars.

In fact, I thought that it was my League mod, since it was sending me to the desktop after loading a track, so I decided to give a go with another mods. Tried the Meganes V2 @ France GP4 and the original CTDP 2005 1.2 with BAR @ ISI Montreal. The Meganes didnt crashed, but I didnt played it for long. And when I was on-track with the BAR, it crashed twice, and also crashed when I hit the LEAVE TRACK button.

OK, now I'm going away for 3 days, I'll be at Sao Paulo for exams to see the possibility of a cochlear implant to cure my deafness and hear again :) I should be back tuesday, unless theres wireless internet in my hotel :P See ya later guys.

Date: June 24, 2007 03:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
Wow, great to hear you'll be able to hear again :)

Hmm, kinda dodgy sentence ;)
Date: June 24, 2007 03:52PM
gav Wrote:
> Has it suddenly got warmer in the last 2 weeks or
> so? Definitely sounds like something is being
> asked to do something it can't do due to
> overheating or under-specced. If it crashes in
> other games, then it's certainly something
> relating to that.
>

It crashes only with rFactor, I play it more than other games, but they arent demanding, are quite simple and are soccer/f1 management games. GP4 runs fine too.

> The spec you've listed for a new PC is fine. I
> assume this is a pre-built machine, given that
> you've not listed other components. If so, watch
> out that they don't skimp on the PSU like most do
> - cost cutting in an area you really don't want to
> be cutting costs on.

Eh, my dad convinced me to do it (look for a pre-built machine) so after tuesday we should do it, when possible.

Date: June 24, 2007 09:44PM
Posted by: chet
GP4 is quite demandign aswell isnt it..

And sorry to go off topic, but with newer games, though they may look better than old games are some less demanding??

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 24, 2007 11:18PM
Posted by: gav
Older games generally relied more on the CPU than newer games. An unfair generalisation in many cases, but there you go - it's basically the way it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy