Charging for updates for RFactor [hudsonkerr.com]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Is this guy having a laugh?
Date: October 08, 2005 03:20PM
Posted by: IWE
"- skies sold seperately"

lol ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 08, 2005 03:48PM
Posted by: six degrees
tbh in the modern day of stupidly detailed mods, I could understand wanting some reimbursment but only in the form of a paypal donate button or something - actually CHARGING for an update isn't on in the simracing community imo.

It's a @#$%& track graphics update for christ's sake...
Date: October 08, 2005 04:00PM
Posted by: Glyn
Also, it doesn't look much different to the SLN update I've got.

Date: October 08, 2005 05:46PM
Posted by: matthewp
Like i've said at RSC, i'd be willing to pay for something like the GTP or GPL65 mod, and even a small fee for a really good addon track, but not for a texture update. And the thing with mod's and addon tracks is they're licensed so you cant really charge for them.

Date: October 08, 2005 06:07PM
Yeh, you'd pay for GTP without any second thoughts (although lots of people would bitch and moan) because they changed such a lot, it's as good as a new game.

Charging for tracks though? Hmm, I'm not too sure actually. Depends what kind of money we are talking. A few quid maybe yeh, but nothing more, where with mods I'm sure charging addon pack prices (£10) would be reasonable.

Date: October 08, 2005 06:08PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

haha what a nutter

next he will be charging people to use some fantasy cars ;)

Date: October 08, 2005 06:16PM
Posted by: Stan
now thats an idea

Date: October 08, 2005 06:48PM
Posted by: matthewp
When I said i'd pay for tracks I was talking small fee's i.e. a couple of quid no more, but as I said that aint gonna happen because of licensing.

Date: October 08, 2005 11:21PM
Posted by: gav
six degrees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tbh in the modern day of stupidly detailed mods, I
> could understand wanting some reimbursment but
> only in the form of a paypal donate button or
> something - actually CHARGING for an update isn't
> on in the simracing community imo.
>
> It's a @#$%& track graphics update for christ's
> sake...

HE'S BACK! :|

LMAO at the freak-show. What a joke... I'm sure 1 or 2 people will pay, just due to the 'OMGITMUSTBEBRILLIANT' factor of a pay-'mod'... but he'll soon release he's getting nowhere.

Probably just a student looking to cash in on the current must have.
Date: October 08, 2005 11:33PM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
here is the thread at RSC [forum.rscnet.org] all goes well until someone finds his site on page 6 ;)

The reason he is charging for textures is because he is a professional. Read more here: [hudsonkerr.com]
Date: October 08, 2005 11:45PM
Well he's not gonna say he's a cocaine-addicted-man-whore looking for the next source for his planned trip to Jammaaaaaica, is he? ;)

Come on... all professional means is that you get paid for what you do... which is true as he's charging for it. Doesn't mean he's any good.

If a serious sim-racer hasn't heard of him, he's not much cop...
Date: October 08, 2005 11:48PM
Posted by: Alex@[GP]
actually he used to work for isi ;)
Date: October 08, 2005 11:49PM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Did you read [hudsonkerr.com] ?

"After modding racing games for a few years in the online community, I entered the video game industry. I worked on four ISI titles in the F1 and NASCAR lines. At EA, I gladly moved on from the poorly conceived NASCAR Sim Racing and PC games, to Madden 2006, and then to the Madden Next Gen title."

So he knows what he is doing but charging for these textures is stupid.
Date: October 09, 2005 12:35AM
But I'm a serious simmer I said..... why the hell would I have touched F1C or it's predecessors, or even worse the NASCAR "sims". Of course I've not heard of him. They were ghastly, absolutely abysmal, especially in terms of graphics.

FFS, they aren't even using the right models in the NASCAR "sims". They're using 2003 models in a 2005 arcade game, and this is most impressive version yet (after he left apparently).

If he's using those as a credential, he's even shitter than I thought, and that's quite an acheivement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 12:36AM by gav.
Date: October 09, 2005 02:19AM
Posted by: Karan19
Hudson Kerr? Is this the same guy who used to or still does go under the nick - ][udson? I believe he worked with EA a while ago. Made a bunch of sound updates for F1C. His track updates for rF look pretty decent but dont think theyre anything worth paying for :)
Date: October 09, 2005 08:17AM
Posted by: Alex@[GP]
yeah but a graphics artist doesnt really effect the physics/how realistic the game is does it?

like has been said before $7.50 for a graphics update - yeah right unless it magically makes it look like real life :D
Date: October 09, 2005 12:20PM
The best comment in that thread is by far

"Does somebody need my setup... for $0.99 ?
Team Redline can make millions on this."

;)

Date: October 09, 2005 10:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
So he knows what he is doing

No he doesnt. Far far from it. So hes worked on games before, woopie. Theres a reason games are given updated textures pretty quickly - the origionals are normally junk. EAs NASCAR and F1 games prove the point exactly. If hes using the EA games as a showcase to show off his textures, then i dont want them anywhere near my PC, paid for or for free.

community efforts on visuals (shapes and textures) are often miles better than stock games could ever hope for. I see no reason to pay for his update when the community is going to produce better ones for free

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 10:09PM by DaveEllis.
Date: October 10, 2005 01:29AM
Posted by: Guimengo
And I imagine that Toban track was made to resemble real life, his updates make it look far from the original thus the reality ;). Unless it's a fictional track, then I am way off no matter what ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy