Grand Prix Legends

Posted by RenaultFan 
Grand Prix Legends
Date: July 11, 2005 02:12PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
hey guys

can anynody tell me If GPL is a good game or bad?

thanks
Jeremy
Re: Grand Prix Legends
Date: July 11, 2005 02:27PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Extremely good but its dated now. Graphics are becoming fairly poor despite the communities amazing efforts.

If your willing to put up with the dated graphics and dodgy sound problems then you'll love it if your wanting a hardcore simulation

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2005 02:28PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 11, 2005 02:31PM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, it has a couple of graphics glitches, but the quality of most things are awesome, but sometimes doesn't work with SoundBlaster Live! cards well.

Ignoring those problems, it's got a great game underneath, and nothing matches it for rewarding you when things go well.

Good or bad? I'd say challenging ;)
Date: July 11, 2005 07:25PM
Posted by: Pooky
just reinstalled it and its great

i can practice my goodwood, castle combe and other sprint venues before i actually take my jedi out on the tracks for real!
Date: July 11, 2005 08:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
The graphics are still good for me (the cars), and it runs well on lower spec PCs :).

Great game, very challenging.
Date: July 11, 2005 08:36PM
Posted by: Glyn
GPL is good evidence that graphics don't make a game. Just remember to give it the time and effort it requires before you put it aside though, as it takes a while to get used to it (i.e. doing a lap without crashing) but once you do it's a great game!

Date: July 12, 2005 10:24AM
Posted by: LS.
i think part of GPL's appeal is the graphics, seems to kind of fit in well with the 60's

I don't think it would'nt feel as nice say if it had graphics that looked like they do in GP4 ( overuse of colour in a simpsons tv show way or the flatness of the ISI engine in F1C )

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 12, 2005 06:33PM
Posted by: six degrees
that's a good point actually, even with all the updates it still feels raw and gritty, something which really does fit with the period.
Date: July 12, 2005 07:14PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I love the raw feeling it gives. Thats probably the best thing about the graphics engine, but i think the community delbratly aims for that look too

Just the graphics engine is feeling a bit old and tatty now. Those sprite objects and marshalls for example, all the little things that just add up. But its lasted alot longer than it should have done thanks to the community

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 12, 2005 07:36PM
And to be honest, I think the car models are gorgeous... a few clipping problems, as it is a 7 year old engine, but the actually detail is staggering. Huge thumbs up to the modellers, so basically the GPLEA.
Date: July 12, 2005 07:42PM
Posted by: fisico04
i think it is time i brought this game. i was gonna buy it a few months ago for £3 in some game shop but i didnt (dont know why!?!?), but now i have come to my senses and decided to buy it, mainly due to the reports from people in this community.

---------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

Its Time For Some Old-Skool GP4 Fun Again

---------------------------------------------------------
Date: July 12, 2005 07:50PM
Posted by: Advong
Yeah, i dug out my copy, all i need to do now is find my wheel
Date: July 12, 2005 07:53PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
The only problem is that online you cna';t see the marshalls at the start of the race sometimes, unless you are at the front. This means that you don't actually start on time and everyone crashes into thee back of you :D Does updating to gp3 marshals or some other type of marshalls help this or is it just as bad?

H E L L O
Date: July 12, 2005 08:05PM
Just flick onto the chase more (F10) at the start, returning to the cockpit after the start.

Can't say I've had that problem myself though.
Date: July 12, 2005 08:23PM
Posted by: Glyn
I wouldn't say it can cause people to crash into you, because they can't see the flag man either, so everyone tends to move when the cars in front move.

One thing that does annoy me though is when you have to look left to see the flag man. Makes getting a good, and importantly, straight get away very tricky. Still, it must happen in real life, so thats how it is.

Date: July 12, 2005 09:59PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Glyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't say it can cause people to crash into
> you, because they can't see the flag man either,
> so everyone tends to move when the cars in front
> move.
>

Well yes, I did exagerate a bit ;) :D heheh but yes I spose you could do chase view although not very easy to get at the keyboard and also dunno how easy to actually get a good start while in chase. Hmm will have to try it but maybe just live with the problem, hehe.

H E L L O
Date: July 13, 2005 03:46PM
Posted by: Vomit
Glyn said:

"GPL is good evidence that graphics don't make a game. Just remember to give it the time and effort it requires before you put it aside though, as it takes a while to get used to it (i.e. doing a lap without crashing) but once you do it's a great game!"

Its great game even if you crash or spin on each lap :-)
Date: July 13, 2005 05:20PM
Posted by: senninho
A fantastic game - i've had it for 3 years and have never quite mastered it, which i reckon is a credit to how realistic it is.

One word of warning though - you will need some kind of analogue control method...

Date: July 13, 2005 07:38PM
We've one talented guy among the VT ranks who uses a joy-pad (the analogue sticks), which I can't fathom at all...

I spent the first few months with GPL using a joystick, as I'd used that method for GPx for a few years, and picked it up instantly, getting a negative rank quite quickly, but it's far from natural. After around 3-4 months I bought a MOMO Force wheel, and I've gone from strength to strength since, only recently falling into a relatively low vein of form results wise, as others are improving around me.

Forget GPL offline - it's good to get used to the game, but you need to move online very quickly to make the most of it, and learn from others. No matter how good you are, you can always learn from watching others.
Date: July 13, 2005 07:54PM
Posted by: senninho
Wow, he must be good!

Pardon me for being st00pid, but where can i find a tool or site that will let me work out a ranking?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy