The inevitable 'build me a computer' advice thread >_<

Posted by senninho 
Re: The inevitable 'build me a computer' advice thread >_<
Date: September 25, 2012 09:22PM
Posted by: IWE
Hi everybody!

Just started to build new computer and I would like to get some opinions/recommendations. Here is my masterplan:

NZXT Hades
Asus P9X79 Deluxe, LGA2011, Intel X79, DDR3, ATX
BENQ 24" G2420HDB

Intel Core i7-3820, LGA2011, 3.60GHz, 10MB, Boxed (309.00 €)
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7850 Double Dissipation, 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI/2xMiniDP (229€)
Kingston HyperX 4x4GB, DDR3 2133MHz, CL11 (118€)
Corsair 800W Gaming Series GS800, ATXV v2.3 (108€)
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 Series SSD, 525/500, MLC, 2.5", SATA III (89€)
Phanteks PH-TC14CS CPU Cooler (71,90€)

some random 1TB SATA III HDD
Blu-Ray/DVD±RW SATA
case fan controller
internal multicard reader

First 3 parts I already own so no prices mentioned or need to recommend different components instead of them.

Things which I'm really unsure about are:
GFX card - as I could possibly spend about 100€ more for it if it makes clear difference in power
memory - dunno if wasting 4 slots for that amount of memory is a good idea
CPU cooler- trying to find something good what fits in without removing any fans from the case

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Re: The inevitable 'build me a computer' advice thread >_<
Date: September 25, 2012 09:51PM
Posted by: gav
The only thing which really jumps out at me is the SSD. Don't get a Sandforce controller-based SSD - they're @#$%& @#$%& - horribly unreliable. Go for the Crucial M4 or the Samsung 830.

Other than that, it's the usual - are you used to AMD/ATI drivers? If so, fine, if not go with Nvidia, unless you're unhappy with their drivers. Given the rather lacklustre recent release of cards, I'd say graphics cards are currently at the point where the software is more important than the hardware (arguably it was before too).

I'll also go for the repeat record and give my usual recommendation of Seasonic over every other PSU brand (unless Seasonic build it anyway of course).

RAM depends on what you do. I've never maxed out my 12gb RAM, and I think it's only when editing and encoding large video projects have I reached 8gb at work and it's started churning at the hard drive (much of that 8gb would be Google Chrome, which I tend to leave open).
Hi guys, i'm planning a complete rebuild of my system, so looking for some advice on components.
My current rig is this: intel dual core 6600 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 8600 GT 1GB Graphics card and an absolutely useless HD.
My req's are pretty simple, im a student so im looking to get the cheapest possible components to last me the next 3-5 years and should let me play pretty much anything thrown at it (budget £300-£400 ideally, lower is better!). Bear in mind i do push every system i have pretty far, so top notch stuff isn't necessary (or particulaly possible!)
As for individual req's
GPU: Ideally nvidia, i've always preferred what they produce and have never had problems.
CPU: Probably intel, but anything assuming its suitable
HD: 1-2TB depending on price
RAM: 8GB pretty much should do
Motherboard/case/cooling/power: basically needs to be able to keep up with what's above, over that is not necessary.
Everything else is provided so no monitor needed etc.

Any other info just let me know! Cheers :)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy