Computer (almost) totally damaged; I need help/advice

Posted by Lex 
Computer (almost) totally damaged; I need help/advice
Date: October 21, 2009 11:02PM
Posted by: Lex
Norton did a complete check-up and found a worm in my computer, but it said that the problem had already been resolved. I rebooted my PC, as Norton requested, but it didn't work well anymore - sometimes it would just freeze, sometimes it would just turn off.

I opened the PC case to remove some dust. I removed the heatsink and used a soft brush (just this, no vacuum cleaners or whatever) to clean it, renewed the old thermal paste, put the heatsink back on its place and closed the PC case. Now my PC wouldn't even load the Windows, so I decided to take it to a tech.

He said that both the graphics card and the motherboard are damaged, the latter maybe because of an excess of thermal paste (which now I remembered that I did put too much but wasn't paying attention at the time, so that's a -1 for me). He said also that he'd have to format the hard disk to see if it's damaged too, which I didn't allow because I have important stuff there. The processor is ok, and nothing was said about the RAM memory, so I take it is ok too.

I'd like some help to rebuild my PC. I forgot the exact model of the processor, but I remember it is a Pentium 4 3GHz dual core and, since the motherboard was an Asus P5GPL-X, it suits the socket 775 thing.

I'm checking this page for motherboards. Most of them are "socket LGA775". Does this "LGA" makes my processor, which was fine on a socket without it, not suitable for the motherboard?

The damaged graphics card was a Radeon X300/X550, possibly 256MB. I'd like to get something a little more powerful than that, but not if it costs too much. I'm not sure how much my father and I are willing to spend, but that same website seems to have cards for all the pockets.

My father also asked me to look for a new HD. My current one has 160GB, so maybe I'll buy something around that. Is there something I should pay attention to? Here's that site's list: [www.waz.com.br]

I know the page's in portuguese, but I think that won't be a problem, since most of the specs are numbers or recognizable things like GHz or GB anyway.

By the way, $1.00 = R$1.75 (or R$2.00, to make the calculations easier).

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 04:09PM by Lex.
Re: Computer (almost) totally damaged; I need help/advice
Date: October 22, 2009 07:50PM
Posted by: gav
It's hard to recommend much, as it sounds like this bloke is taking you for a ride. He has a look over your PC and all of a sudden you've got a faulty motherboard and graphics card? He then tries to wipe the drive without even offering to back up the data (or suggesting that you do)?

'LGA' is basically just referring to the socket, so LGA775 and socket 775 is the same. Complicating things somewhat is that not all socket 775 motherboards will work with newer socket 775 chips, though presumably (I can't vouch for this) most older socket 775 chips will work in the newer motherboards.

Regarding the graphics card, in rough order of performance (slowest to best) off the top of my head (back this up with reviews before committing):

HD 3650
9500GT
HD 3670
HD 4550
9600GT
HD 4650
HD 3850
HD 4670
HD 3870
GTS 250
9800GT
GTS 260
HD 4850
HD 4870
GTS 275
HD 5750
HD 4890
HD 5770
GTX 285
HD 5850
HD 5870

I wouldn't consider anything missing from that list. It doesn't include dual-GPU graphics cards.
Date: October 23, 2009 10:58PM
Thanks for the graphics cards list. Is there anything I should know about motherboards? Or is it ok as long as the chip's and graphics card's sockets match what I intend to put on them?

gav schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's hard to recommend much, as it sounds like
> this bloke is taking you for a ride. He has a look
> over your PC and all of a sudden you've got a
> faulty motherboard and graphics card? He then
> tries to wipe the drive without even offering to
> back up the data (or suggesting that you do)?

Yeah, it sounds like that indeed. I'm going to get my PC back and (maybe) take it to another person in order to have another view on what the hell is going on. If the new tech says the same thing as this one, there are two possibilities: either the first tech was right, or both of them are trying to take me for a ride. ;)

Date: October 23, 2009 11:15PM
If he says the same, then you need a new PSU too... either that or there's been one hell of a coincidence.

Anything to know about the motherboards? The important bit is that it supports your current CPU if you're going to continue using it. That info is usually be on the website of the motherboard manufacturer, so check before you buy.
Date: October 24, 2009 08:39PM
I've been reading reviews and technical data for motherboards, chips ecc. and it seems it'll be easier if I simply buy a new computer.

I'm checking hardware.info's Budget Game PC advice to have an idea of what to buy and how much it'll cost. I'm trying to do some changes on their list in order to reduce costs. Here's what I've got so far:

Intel Core i5 750 - no change
Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B (met Core i5 bracket) - can't find it, and I wonder if it's really necessary since the Intel chip already comes with a cooler.
OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR3-1333 CL7 Low Voltage kit - changed to DDR3 1.600MHz 4GB (2 x 2GB) Mushkin.
ASUS P7P55D - no change
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB of HD 5770 - changed to ATI HD 4890 1GB/256bits Sapphire Vapor-X to reduce costs (from R$1.400,00 to R$840,00) and also to be able to keep my monitor.
Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GB SATA2 - changed to HD 1.000GB SATA II Western Digital Caviar Green because I couldn't find the Samsung one and, even if this one is cheaper, I think it's worth to pay a little bit more to have 1 TB.
Optiarc AD-7240S-0B - I'll keep my old LG drive.
Antec Three Hundred - changed to 3RSystem R120-V2 SE, since I couldn't find the Antec. The 3RSystem is ATX-standard (or however you translate it), and the ASUS P7P55D is also ATX-standard, so I guess it matches, no?
Cooler Master Real Power M520 - changed to Enermax 620W Liberty DXX because I couldn't find the M520. The Cooler Master has 520W, and the Enermax has 620W - do the extra 100W make the Enermax enough (or not enough) for what's above?
Keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor - I'm going to keep my old ones.

Date: October 24, 2009 10:10PM
Basically, all good. Only a few personal tweaks I'd make:

Lex Wrote:
> Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B (met Core i5 bracket) -
> can't find it, and I wonder if it's really
> necessary since the Intel chip already comes with
> a cooler.

Not necessary at all. A better cooler would make the system a bit quieter and quite a bit cooler, but unless you intend on overclocking then the stock coolers are perfectly fine.

Lex Wrote:
> Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GB SATA2 - changed to HD
> 1.000GB SATA II Western Digital Caviar Green
> because I couldn't find the Samsung one and, even
> if this one is cheaper, I think it's worth to pay
> a little bit more to have 1 TB.

The WD Greens are fantastic storage drives, but poor system drives. I'd go for a 500GB Samsung F3 drive (fastest 7,200rpm drive out at the moment)* for the operating system, and add a WD Green at a later date if space is needed.

Lex Wrote:
> Cooler Master Real Power M520 - changed to Enermax
> 620W Liberty DXX because I couldn't find the M520.
> The Cooler Master has 520W, and the Enermax has
> 620W - do the extra 100W make the Enermax enough
> (or not enough) for what's above?

The Liberty's are excellent PSUs, but 620W would be a bit of a waste of money. A good 500W PSU (Seasonic, Corsair HX or Enermax) would be more than enough, unless you're planning another major upgrade in the next year or 2.

No experience of that case at all, or even that brand. Surprised you can't source an Antec 300 though. Antec are one of the most readily available brands the world over.

* Keep in mind that the hard drive is the slowest part of a system, so getting it right makes the biggest difference to the overall speed of the system. SSDs are the way forward, but aren't good value for money yet.
Date: October 24, 2009 10:52PM
gav schrieb:
> The WD Greens are fantastic storage drives, but
> poor system drives. I'd go for a 500GB Samsung F3
> drive (fastest 7,200rpm drive out at the moment)*
> for the operating system, and add a WD Green at a
> later date if space is needed.

I see. My sister has a 320GB external HD for backups anyway, so I guess 500GB will be more than enough. In case I can't find the Samsung F3, what do you say about a 500GB SATA II Seagate Barracuda?

By the way, what do F1, F2 and F3 mean?

gav schrieb:
> The Liberty's are excellent PSUs, but 620W would
> be a bit of a waste of money. A good 500W PSU
> (Seasonic, Corsair HX or Enermax) would be more
> than enough, unless you're planning another major
> upgrade in the next year or 2.

What do you consider a major upgrade? Putting another graphics card to do CrossFire? Getting another 4GB of memory?

gav schrieb:
> No experience of that case at all, or even that
> brand. Surprised you can't source an Antec 300
> though. Antec are one of the most readily
> available brands the world over.

Well, I still have to check real world stores, so maybe I'll find the Antec 300 and a 500W PSU. Are they too expensive? The Liberty PSU costs around R$640 ($365) here.

Date: October 24, 2009 11:29PM
Lex Wrote:
> I see. My sister has a 320GB external HD for
> backups anyway, so I guess 500GB will be more than
> enough. In case I can't find the Samsung F3, what
> do you say about a 500GB SATA II Seagate
> Barracuda?

Avoid Seagate now. If you can't get a Samsung F3, get a Western Digital Black.

Lex Wrote:
> By the way, what do F1, F2 and F3 mean?

It's not a grade, more an identifier. It doesn't scale - an F1 is faster than F2, while an F3 is a replacement of the F1. The F2 is a lower-power, variable speed data drive, like the Western Digital Greens.

Lex Wrote:
> What do you consider a major upgrade? Putting
> another graphics card to do CrossFire? Getting
> another 4GB of memory?

Another graphics card, yep - they consume a lot of power. Adding more memory, no - it consumes very little. I was thinking an overhaul, perhaps adding more hard drives, and yes, a replacement graphics card, or an additional one.

If you're considering a 2nd graphics card in the future, I wouldn't bother myself. The 5850 or 5870 will have plummeted in price by then (if NVIDIA ever release anything comparable), and offer nearly double the performance of a 48xx, so would make a more sensible upgrade path (especially if you sold your 4890 to someone who wasn't as forward thinking ;-)).

Actually, on that note, I'd consider a 5770 if you can find one. They're a tiny bit slower than a 4890, but consume far, far less power, are quieter, cooler, shorter and adding a 2nd one of them in the future will be easier than adding another 4890, which will be in shorter supply.

Lex Wrote:
> Well, I still have to check real world stores, so
> maybe I'll find the Antec 300 and a 500W PSU. Are
> they too expensive? The Liberty PSU costs around
> R$640 ($365) here.

$365 American? Christ! That's ludicrously expensive! You could probably fly to America, pick up the same PSU and fly back for around the same money!
Date: October 25, 2009 03:42AM
gav schrieb:
> Avoid Seagate now. If you can't get a Samsung F3,
> get a Western Digital Black.

Why should I avoid Seagate?

gav schrieb:
> If you're considering a 2nd graphics card in the
> future, I wouldn't bother myself. The 5850 or 5870
> will have plummeted in price by then (if NVIDIA
> ever release anything comparable), and offer
> nearly double the performance of a 48xx, so would
> make a more sensible upgrade path (especially if
> you sold your 4890 to someone who wasn't as
> forward thinking ;-)).
>
> Actually, on that note, I'd consider a 5770 if you
> can find one. They're a tiny bit slower than a
> 4890, but consume far, far less power, are
> quieter, cooler, shorter and adding a 2nd one of
> them in the future will be easier than adding
> another 4890, which will be in shorter supply.

I'm not sure if I'll want a second graphics card in the future. I guess I'll prefer to buy a new computer again when the time comes, instead of upgrading this one.

Do I need to use the same model to do CrossFire? A 5870 costs around R$1.680 ($960) here, which makes it way out of reach right now - the current total price of my computer is R$430 ($245) lower than it was with the original list, and I'm trying to reduce it even more.

gav schrieb:
> $365 American? Christ! That's ludicrously
> expensive! You could probably fly to America, pick
> up the same PSU and fly back for around the same
> money!

Yeah, American. Eletronics are monstruously expensive in Brazil because of really high import (and other) taxes, which does help in making contraband an option.

There's an Enermax 500W Liberty DDX for R$479 ($274). How can I know if 500W will be enough?

Date: October 25, 2009 09:09AM
Lex Wrote:
> Why should I avoid Seagate?

Because they've gone through enough bad batches since their takeover of Maxtor to not be called bad batched any more. A bit like Maxtor themselves.

Lex Wrote:
> Do I need to use the same model to do CrossFire? A
> 5870 costs around R$1.680 ($960) here, which makes
> it way out of reach right now - the current total
> price of my computer is R$430 ($245) lower than it
> was with the original list, and I'm trying to
> reduce it even more.

Erm. I believe you can CrossFire 2 cards from the same chip base. If so, you can CrossFire a 4870 and 4850, but not a 4870 and a 4770, for instance. I've never been interested in CrossFire (I don't game enough to warrant it), so it's not something I actively go and look up, so if that's a future consideration, make sure you read up about it first!

I realise the 5870 (and 5850) is out of reach at the moment. It's just been released and NVIDIA have no response to it, so the price is inflated. It will drop in price, especially so when NVIDIA's next high-end part comes out. I was more recommending that as a future upgrade rather than adding a 2nd card to what you do buy now.

Lex Wrote:
> There's an Enermax 500W Liberty DDX for R$479
> ($274). How can I know if 500W will be enough?

Because I'm telling you. ;-)

It wouldn't be enough if you bought a relatively cheap PSU, and it's never enough if you buy the bottom-of-the-range-QTec-type-fire-hazards, but with a good brand and a good range, it'll be fine. Go for the higher one if you think you might add a 2nd card in the future though.
Date: October 25, 2009 03:43PM
All in all, I'm finding relatively good prices for the internal components (cases are kind of a pain in the buttocks). I did a d'oh in the beginning and put 1.600MHz memory on the list - I read that the i5 750 chip supports only 1.333MHz. There's another observation on the waz.com.br website saying that Intel says that the i5 750 chip may become permanently damaged if I use DDR3 modules with more than 1,65V, so I put on the list a DDR3 1.333MHz 2GB Corsair Value 1,5V (maybe two of them).

About the case: does it do more than just protect the internal components? I'm seeing from $58 cases, that come with a single fan on the back and suit the ATX thing, to $685 cases, that do I don't have the slightest idea of what.

gav schrieb:
> Avoid Seagate now. If you can't get a Samsung F3,
> get a Western Digital Black.

I found a Samsung F1 for $108 and a Western Digital for $114, both 500GB. Which one do you recommend?

gav schrieb:
> Because I'm telling you. ;-)

lol

I meant it in case I'm all alone and there's no gav to help me. ;)

Oh, about the OS: 32 or 64 bits? I found a Windows 7 package that comes with both versions for $220, and about half the price if I get just the 32 or the 64. I absolutely don't know the difference between them.

Date: October 25, 2009 04:03PM
RAM: Core i5 and i7 do officially only support 1,333MHz, but they work perfectly well with faster - they're not worth the extra money though.

Cases: Build quality, design and R&D (in terms of air-flow), the ease of installing components. The cheaper Lian-Lis or Silverstones are where I'd aim for for this sort of build, such as this, this and this.

Hard drives: Depends on the Western Digital. I'd go for that if it were the Blue or Black edition. Not much of a fan of the Samsung F1s.

OS: I'd be installing 64-bit. Allows you full use of your RAM (32-bit would only allow you to access around 3.2GB) and most the early driver issues associated with Vista 64-bit have been ironed out a long time ago, so there'll be minimal issues with Windows 7.
Date: October 25, 2009 11:13PM
The list is almost done:

Chip: Intel Core i5 750 2,66 GHz
Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 1.333MHz 1,5V
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4890, GPU 850 MHz, 975 MHz (3.9 Gbps) 1GB GDDR5
Case: Cooler Master RC-333-KKN1-GP
HD: Western Digital SATA 2 500.0 Gb 7200 RPM Caviar Blue
PSU: both the Corsair HX520 and the Cooler Master M520 are unavaiable at all stores, so I chose a Thermaltake ATX TR2 500W. Is it good?

Plus Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Office 2007 Home + Student and Norton Internet Security 2009 (comes for free with Office).

The lowest I could get for all of this was $1.996 ($1.735 without the softwares), freight not included.

Date: October 26, 2009 11:22AM
4GB would be better, perhaps adding 2x1GB sticks if you want 6GB now, or adding another 4GB later. Core i5 (and the 800 series i7) is dual-channel rather than tri-channel (as the i7 900 series are), so running with 3x2GB sticks would actually make the memory run in single-channel mode.

Lex Wrote:
> PSU: both the Corsair HX520 and the Cooler Master
> M520 are unavaiable at all stores, so I chose a
> Thermaltake ATX TR2 500W. Is it good?

Nope. A quick and easy way of looking at quality in a modern PSU is to look at the certified efficiency. Any half-decent PSU will crack 80% with considerable ease, the good manufacturers will crack 85%. Looking at the TR2 series, Thermaltake crack 65%.

Stick with Corsair (even the CWT manufactured ones are better than this), Seasonic, Enermax or FSP. Are any of them available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 11:23AM by gav.
Date: October 26, 2009 11:32PM
Yep, I found a Corsair HX520W for $218, an Enermax 500W Liberty DDX for $273 and a Seasonic 500W for $331, but each on a different store. The best I could find available on the store where most of the components are the least expensive was a Corsair HX620W.

gav schrieb:
> 4GB would be better, perhaps adding 2x1GB sticks
> if you want 6GB now, or adding another 4GB later.
> Core i5 (and the 800 series i7) is dual-channel
> rather than tri-channel (as the i7 900 series
> are), so running with 3x2GB sticks would actually
> make the memory run in single-channel mode.

Ok. I can live without 6GB - I put it only because I thought it was a good deal. But since it would be better to have 4GB, I can save some $. :)

Date: October 31, 2009 03:20PM
gav schrieb:
> Nope. A quick and easy way of looking at quality
> in a modern PSU is to look at the certified
> efficiency. Any half-decent PSU will crack 80%
> with considerable ease, the good manufacturers
> will crack 85%. Looking at the TR2 series,
> Thermaltake crack 65%.

I've found a PSU that cracks 80% efficiency, and costs much less than any of the brands that you've recommended - it's a Huntkey 550W ATX12V v2.2 V-Power Series LW-6550SG. Do you know it? I just don't have the slightest idea if it has all the cables and conectors and etc. that I'll need:

Conectores
ATX 20/24 1 x 24-pinos ATX (20+4)
EPS 1 x 8-pinos (4+4)
PCI-Express 2 x 6-pinos
Molex (Periféricos) 6
Serial ATA Power 2
FDD Power 1

gav schrieb:
> RAM: Core i5 and i7 do officially only support
> 1,333MHz, but they work perfectly well with faster
> - they're not worth the extra money though.

Why not? The increase in performance isn't noticeable?

By the way, is it true that the chip may become permanently damaged if I use memory with more than 1,65V?

EDIT: I took my "old" computer to another tech, who works for Petrobras, and he has repaired and upgraded it a little - it now has 2GB memory (don't know the specs; must be DDR2 since the motherboard had to be changed and the old memory didn't fit - before it had 1GB) and 250GB HD (was 160GB before). The problem is: I still have the 160GB HD where all my stuff is, but this new tech could get anything back from it. He said he connected it to another PC but couldn't access it; the HD wasn't recognized or something.

Anyway, this means a -1 for the new PC now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 03:34PM by Lex.
Date: October 31, 2009 04:19PM
Lex Wrote:
> I've found a PSU that cracks 80% efficiency, and
> costs much less than any of the brands that you've
> recommended - it's a Huntkey 550W ATX12V v2.2
> V-Power Series LW-6550SG.

It's not on the list of certified Huntkey PSUs, so it's probably just them claiming it. I've no experience of them myself, or have seen any other experiences. I'd stick with ones people do know.

Lex Wrote:
> Why not? The increase in performance isn't
> noticeable?

It's barely even measurably, let alone benchmarkable and certainly not noticeable. That said, if it's the same price or cheaper, then it would be silly not get the faster stuff. ;-)

Lex Wrote:
> By the way, is it true that the chip may become
> permanently damaged if I use memory with more than
> 1,65V?

More Intel covering their arses - it won't pop suddenly, but it might knock a year or 2 off the life of the chip, so down to 5yr perhaps. But I'd stick with stuff at 1.5v. No point in risking it for no extra performance.
Date: November 04, 2009 08:03PM
Before I forget: gav, thanks a lot for all your help so far. Here's something for you:

;)

So, my old computer has been repaired (almost rebuilt tbh) and I'll keep it. But I'd like to bring it a little closer to what I was planning to buy. The new motherboard is an ASUS P5KPL-AM SE, which has a PCI-E x16 slot. All the 4890 graphics cards that I'm finding are PCI-E x16 v2.0 - is it compatible?

I'm thinking about putting another 2GB of memory. Should I install another one of the model that's already on my motherboard or it doesn't matter? Would it be better if I got a Corsair kit with 2 2GB modules? By the way, can I use a 64 bit OS with my Pentium 4 630 processor? I found this on Intel's spec page about my processor:

Supported Features:
Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology
Hyper-Threading Technology
Intel® EM64T
Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
Execute Disable Bit

Last but not least: I've just seen that my current PSU is a Huntkey LW-6400H 400W. Will it handle a 4890 graphics card?

Date: November 04, 2009 09:43PM
Lex Wrote:
> All the 4890 graphics cards that I'm finding are PCI-E x16 v2.0 - is it compatible?

Yep.

Lex Wrote:
> I'm thinking about putting another 2GB of memory.
> Should I install another one of the model that's
> already on my motherboard or it doesn't matter?
> Would it be better if I got a Corsair kit with 2
> 2GB modules?

Chances are mixed modules would work, but it's always best to stick to the same manufacturer, and if possible the same model.

Lex Wrote:
> By the way, can I use a 64 bit OS with my Pentium 4 630 processor?

Yup. But whether it's worth it or not is another matter.

Lex Wrote:
> Last but not least: I've just seen that my current
> PSU is a Huntkey LW-6400H 400W. Will it handle a
> 4890 graphics card?

I wouldn't be at all comfortable. It probably would cope (just), but not knowing Huntkey much, I personally wouldn't risk my other components with it. I don't know how well Huntkey PSUs protect other components if they were to blow. That's the key to a good PSU - not what it copes with or how reliable they are (even the best manufacturers PSUs fail), but how well they safeguard other components when they do fail.
Date: November 05, 2009 12:44AM
It's all over now: I bought a XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 256-bit PCI-E 2.0 x16 and a Corsair HX520, and another 2GB module.

Once again, thanks a lot for all your help gav. :)

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy