A funny thing happened on the way to the forum......

Posted by mortal 
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum......
Date: March 22, 2009 08:26AM
Posted by: mortal
That's a movie musical, but I digress.
Last night, lady friend and I sat down with popcorn and choccy to watch a movie I had recorded a couple of days earlier.
On SBS, called Tickets. An Italian movie, with subtitles.
That doesn't bother me any as I can speak some Italian and understand a good bit of it as well so an Italian movie is always good practice.
Anyway, it was an interesting tale about people traveling on a train from Innsbruck to Rome.
In the latter half of the movie, the scene moves to three young Celtic fans, from Scotland, off to see a Champions League game.
That's when things got interesting. Lady friend said, "Whaaat, what's he saying? Hey, where's the subtitles gone, I can't understand a word of it, it's not English is it?" I said, "And you want to go to Scotland, <laughter> you'd be stuffed." "This is woeful" says lady friend, "I can't understand what they're saying." So I had to translate Scottish English to Aussie English. :-)
The accent was unbelievable and they spoke so quickly, even I had trouble figuring out what they were on about.
Apart from that, it was a great movie, and I do believe lady friend has now changed her mind about that trip to Scotland. lol!

About the movie. [www.imdb.com]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum......
Date: March 22, 2009 09:24AM
Posted by: gav
It depends on your Scot I guess. Dave's piss easy to understand (and if you don't, you just assume it's an insult anyway ;)).

Thicker accents from those who live in the clouds or cuddle sheep are difficult though. Your average Celtic fan should be easy enough to understand. :P
those who live in the clouds or cuddle sheep
.......see, lost already...

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
I thought Kiwi's cuddles sheep and lived in the clouds?

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: March 22, 2009 01:19PM
Posted by: mcdo
There's plenty of Scottish blood in the Kiwi mix.
Date: March 22, 2009 01:54PM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those who live in the clouds or cuddle sheep
> .......see, lost already...

Scotland - hilly and mountainous, and the inevitable mountain-dwellers who go with them. ;)

Scotland - well, in the countryside... sheep... you know. Slack jaws with their extra-strong accents, same as in any country. :P
ROFL, yeah been to Scotland three times, I can personally attest the further North you go the less sure you are they're speaking English. I remeber Edinburgh was grand, Glasgow slightly worse, but still easily understandable. Inverness and the Isle of Skye though... x-|
Just for the record, Gav's a Geordie. Sounds a bit like a Scot, but definitely isn't. ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 22, 2009 06:20PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Just for the record, Gav's a Geordie. Sounds a bit
> like a Scot, but definitely isn't. ;)

WTF? Have you heard a Scot?!
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Just for the record, Gav's a Geordie. Sounds a bit
> like a Scot, but definitely isn't. ;)

wtf? Gav doesn't sound like a Scot. stfu.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Those from the far north of England sound close to Scots, but the difference gets larger the further north the Scot is from. This from my uncle who's lived in Aberdeen the past 10 years.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Gav sounds nothing like a Scot o_0

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Those from the far north of England sound close to Scots

No, they don't. Gav might be the least Scottish sounding person ever, and hes as close to Scotland as you can get without being in it. My family and my girlfriends family are from the south of Scotland. I know what I'm talking about.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 22, 2009 07:58PM
I've got a very Geordie accent (without actually being a Geordie). How the hell can Geordie and Scot be mixed up? ;)
When I read forums everyone has a welsh accent...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imran Wrote:
> When I read forums everyone has a welsh accent...

LOLWUT :-)

Date: March 24, 2009 03:44PM
Posted by: mcdo
gav Wrote:
> I've got a very Geordie accent (without actually
> being a Geordie). How the hell can Geordie and
> Scot be mixed up? ;)

The answer may lie in the question.
Date: March 24, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> It depends on your Scot I guess. Dave's piss easy
> to understand (and if you don't, you just assume
> it's an insult anyway ;)).

Indeed. There are a lot of different dialects here, and you have to be a native/live here for ages to appreciate just how many. For example Dundee people(I'm one) generally have a very strong and sharp accent. I have kind of a hybrid accent myself, since my folks come from further up north; it's basically a combination of the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 04:49PM by EC83.
EC83 = Earl Coulthard? :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy