BlackBerry Storm vs. Apple iPhone

Posted by LS. 
Re: BlackBerry Storm vs. Apple iPhone
Date: November 21, 2008 10:11AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Kinda ontopic - iPhone 2.2 Firmware released. General performance updates, changes to Safari browser, Google Streetview introduced.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 21, 2008 01:07PM
Posted by: Zcott
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Decided to opt for the Blackberry for its better
> pixel camera, bluetooth, and video recording
> facilitys.
>
> I've got a intergrated bluetooth hands free system
> in my car and i need it for work so to have the
> Iphone would've been pointless after shelling out
> £160 for the car kit.
>
> Should have it in a week or so

I'm not quite sure where you got your information, but the iPhone does support bluetooth hands free. I read the Engadget reviews of the Storm, and while they said it was good, it just wasn't as nice or as polished as the other one, particularly in the typing department. Let us know how you get on.

Date: November 21, 2008 01:08PM
Oh and Dave, I'm not selling my iPhone 3G anytime soon, it's the best device evarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But I can sell you an old Mac if you want? :P

Date: November 21, 2008 05:08PM
Posted by: J i m
Zcott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh and Dave, I'm not selling my iPhone 3G anytime
> soon, it's the best device evarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
> But I can sell you an old Mac if you want? :P

You'll be mentioning "XBOX" next.... :P
Date: November 21, 2008 06:55PM
Posted by: jbnd05
@ Dave - How did you get a £60 iphone.

I love my touch and was thinking of getting an iphone but the price is offputting.

On the whole MMS thing, in Scandanavia, an operator has made an MMS app, and it might be going further than that.

Date: November 21, 2008 08:54PM
Posted by: J i m
A slight clue from the thread would suggest that Dave bought his iPhone from Zcott.
Date: November 22, 2008 02:05AM
And although that might be implied, Dave actually bought it from Greg.

Date: November 23, 2008 01:37PM
Posted by: LS.
Just had a look at the talk plans etc with O2 and Vodaphone, are O2 taking the piss or what?

Its no choice at all really, Storm & Vodaphone!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 23, 2008 02:29PM
Posted by: Monza972
T-Mobile & 02 are the most costly network provider in the whole of the world. PAYG 02 is fine, however on contract, they are a bunch of lazy sods. They always send you from one place to the other, Esp. if you've bought it from CarphoneWarehouse.

My mum bought LG Chocolate from e2Save (Carphone's Sister company) last August and for the first four months they were fine with us, they sent us back all of our cashback claims and everything was peaceful. UNTIL they "lost" 6th cashback claim and have been playing with our money ever since. They haven't sent us back any claims and we have had to be on the phone with them every single minute of the day. I mean they play you about like a ping pong ball. You call CPW they say go to e2Save, you go to e2save they say go to 02. What in god's name are they playing at?! Even my uncle, and a friend of father's have been conned by these bastards. One friend of our family bought it a day or two later than us on the same contract with the same company but with extra minutes and he's got back everything?!

After this, we've just not bothered to pay the money for the final bill they sent us of £30 and now they got the "CSL Company," which i still think is Carphone Warehouse @#$%& us over, calling everyday with some kind of answer message thingy and asking US to call them. They've stopped now probably cos they got tired ;). But look at this, you call them for your money they don't know where it is and don't care. However, their money they want.
Date: November 24, 2008 02:03AM
Let us know how you get on with the Storm, LS. The two sources I've heard both don't like it. One sent it back after a few days, and the other (notably Mr Stephen Fry, from Twitter) had the following to say:

Been playing with the BB Storm. Shockingly bad. I mean embarrassingly awful. Such a disappointment. Rushed out unfinished. What a pity

Yes,I blame n'works more than RIM. Problems are terrible lag: inaccurate t'screen, awful, slow and fiddly text input. I SO wanted to like it

Plus the GPS maps won't work - issue with BIS connections. I see from forums postings this is widespread in the UK. iPhone killer? Ha!

And no WiFi, which is weird.....

Also, on the subject of pricing: what do you mean O2 are taking the piss? The cheapest Storm tariff is higher than the two cheapest iPhone tariffs; 600 minutes on O2 is £35, £40 on Vodafone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 02:42AM by Zcott.
Date: November 25, 2008 01:01PM
With O2

£35 a month 600 mins 500 texts have to pay £159 for the Iphone

With Vodafone

£35 a month 600 mins Unlimited texts Free phone

Now dont get me wrong, i like the Iphone & i'm a fan. If it did everything i wanted it to then i'd have gotten one without question.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: December 15, 2008 01:45PM
Had my Storm now for two weeks and thought i'd better post now after getting used to it rather than from the outset.

Wasnt too sure of it when it first arrived, didnt like the new touch screen, it was fiddly after getting used to tactile keys from year dot.

Turned out the iphone interface was just as awkward for me so felt better about the blackberry.

Downloaded the firmware update, sorted out the major bugs that shipped with the phone, screen scrolling is now much smoother and the rotational landscape/portrait sluggness is now fixed.

Surfing the net is a pleasure, same with the Satnav ( had to use it on saturday). Iphone has way cooler gadgets for it, Storm is more business end, which i knew from the off and i'm happy with the push email and hotmail service & Internet is awesome. Email encryption and firewall stuff also impressed me. Feels more like carrying a portable laptop around with me rather than a phone, which is what i've always wanted from a mobile phone.

Would i have chosen the Iphone knowing what i know now? hmmmm no, but only just.

Very little to choose between them from what i have seen. Sure the Iphone beats the storm in the apps dept & i'm waiting to see what trickles through when the blackberry app store opens in March 09.

If the stuff comes through that makes the iphone such a cool fun gadget then i'll be happy. Its not the be all and end all but some fun stuff wouldnt go a miss, at the min its all business stuff.

When the next gen Iphone comes out with a better camera and the handset gets an upgrade i'll be having one of those, but for the minute i'm happy with my decision to opt for the storm & the clickable screen is a great idea! love it :)

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 01:48PM by LS..
Date: December 15, 2008 03:41PM
Posted by: Covfan
But it has no WiFi?

I can't even consider getting a phone without WiFi.
Date: December 15, 2008 05:41PM
i can see how that would put some people off, but from my point of view i dont have a wireless network at home, and all the ones my Nokia N95 WiFi picked up were all encrypted so i could never use it & was not really a sticking point on my part when opting for the storm.

I know that the Iphone has both, but my contract is unlimited 3G coverage with Vodafone and its pretty rapid and webpages on my storm take between 5-6 secs to load, so thats plenty fast enough for what i want.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 12, 2009 05:14PM
Decided to get the best of both worlds, and have bought an Ipod Touch now as well, can you guys recommend any decent Apps for it?

Cheers!

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 12, 2009 06:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Urban Spoon, Nightwatch, and the other one I forgot :P.
Date: March 13, 2009 04:37AM
Posted by: Covfan
Urban Spoon is great, if you think London is the center of the universe.
Date: March 13, 2009 11:43AM
I've been putting some of my music cd's onto my Ipod, and its recognising the albums when it converts them over, yet when i click "get artwork for albums" in the pull down menu it says it they are unobtainable, yet they have the albums to buy from the Itunes store themselves.

Anyone else had this problem? and is there anyway of rectifying the problem?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 13, 2009 02:04PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
add the album art to the id3 tag in windows?

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: March 13, 2009 02:08PM
You can manually add the artwork by right clicking the album, selecting properties, then dragging your image into the album art box.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy