Ooo a new web browser for us to praise/slag off!

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Re: Ooo a new web browser for us to praise/slag off!
Date: June 12, 2007 12:23PM
Posted by: kizz
its been on macs for ages so i wouldn't call it 'new' its just available for windows now
Looks good although it doesnt actually have anymore features than the current IE. Will try it out though just to see if its quicker.

First Impressions:

* Scrolling isn't all that smooth, similar to iTunes.
* It is pretty speedy at loading pages.
* Very simple to use.
* It has that same 'heavy' feeling as IE has but I'm pretty sure it's quicker than both IE7 & Firefox. I tried Opera a few days ago and I'd say speed-wise this is about on par with that.
* Font on sites and frums looks really good with a tft screen when using Safari lol

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 12:30PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
From what i hear, it's functionally identical to the Mac OS version. Seeing as i have given it up in favour of Firefox on my Mac, i'm in two minds as to whether i should even download it for Windows ;)

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what you guys think :)

Date: June 12, 2007 12:39PM
Posted by: gav
Not tried it myself, but there's looking at other people's opinions of the Windows port, it's just bug after bug after bug. I know it's in BETA, but for every 'works OK' comment, there's 5 comments to say there's bugs so bad it can't be used. There's loads of people complaining that random text is invisible (on sites as common as Google), you can't type into the address bar and such. They're pretty major bugs, to be honest.

The one common plus is that it loads (from opening) quickly.
First impressions
- History bar is very useful for quick links to my favourite pages
- Google search in top right corner is also very useful
- I wouldnt say it was any quicker/slower than IE
- NBA.com homepage doesnt work which is rather annoying
- No easy button to open tabs
- Tabs dont open to your homepage
- AAAAARRRRGHHHH no YouTube! It says I dont have javascript enabled, which I do! anyone else got this problem?
- Actually I think it generally doesnt support flash, hmmm

I will add more stuff as I keep using it :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 12:59PM by SexySam182.
impressions: uses LOADS of RAM (on Vista) (nearly 80MB, as opposed to IE's 45), text is no way smooth for some reason, and when maximised my hidden docks and taskbar won't reappear, which, needless to say, is a bit irritating...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
I love this it renders the pages really nicely. Only downside is the number of bugs, and that it uses a lot of memory. Doesn't help when you have a crappy computer like mine.
Has anyone else tried to use youtube with it?

the browser is super fast on my system, much faster than firefox. but my back button on my mouse doesnt work for some reason. nice change in colour scheme as well. not come across any bugs yet and youtube does work.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Well that lasted all of 5 seconds.

I'm at work so am behind a proxy obviously. When to authenticate with my AD credentials and it crashed. Tried to do it again and cancel so I could add the proxy in manually and it crashed.

To be honest, with something as simple as that, its shocking. This isn't a beta, more of a pre-alpha

scrolling really needs to be made smoother lol and youtube works here too. seems fast!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Yeah got youtube sorted, but at first no flash was working on any site. Oh well all working now and have been using all day. Apart from minor niggles, like not having new pages open in a new tab depsite having it set to that, it seems very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 06:30PM by SexySam182.
I think theres no need for another web browser, and has nothing new to offer.

But it will get lapped up by loads as people have to have everything Apple. The amount of Apple fanboys on the internet is frustrating and annoyingly high.

The laughable thing is, ask the majority of "fanboys" which browser they use and theyll say Firefox, because even previous versions are crap, it doesnt support any web standard either. The 2% of the market for Safari is basically:

a) People who dont know much about computers and just using it on their Mac much like the majority of most PC users use IE and
b) People using Safari when they buy a Mac to download Firefox or the equivalent.

I use netscape navigator because im 1337

The laughable thing is, ask the majority of "fanboys" which browser they use and theyll say Firefox, because even previous versions are crap, it doesnt support any web standard either. The 2% of the market for Safari is basically:

a) People who dont know much about computers and just using it on their Mac much like the majority of most PC users use IE and
b) People using Safari when they buy a Mac to download Firefox or the equivalent.

Errrrr, if you actually looked, for starters 99% of Mac users would tell you Firefox is useless, Camino is alot better and secondly Safari is vastly preffered by alot of Mac Users around the net, just search for Safari vs Firefox in Google.

But yeah I'm not surprised Safari is useless on the PC, Apple should stick to Mac and not bother with Windows ;)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: June 13, 2007 10:14AM
Posted by: gav
Quicktime for Windows is usless.
iTunes for Windows is useless (stability wise for some - personally I do like the concept).

Is it any real surprise that Safari would be useless? Many on Macs swear by it, just as most Firefox users swear by it, and Opera the same. It's what you're used to. As a Windows port it was always going to be doomed from the start, just looking at those that have gone before it. Hope it does work through - the more browsers out there taking chunks out of IE's dominance, the better - those looking for security holes won't know where to focus their attentions. ;)
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quicktime for Windows is usless.
> iTunes for Windows is useless (stability wise for
> some - personally I do like the concept).
>
> Is it any real surprise that Safari would be
> useless? Many on Macs swear by it, just as most
> Firefox users swear by it, and Opera the same.
> It's what you're used to. As a Windows port it was
> always going to be doomed from the start, just
> looking at those that have gone before it. Hope it
> does work through - the more browsers out there
> taking chunks out of IE's dominance, the better -
> those looking for security holes won't know where
> to focus their attentions. ;)

You know, i think i'm the only person who never had any problems with iTunes on Windows ;) Agreed on Quicktime though!

I think that a lot of Mac users do actually tend to use Safari because it's actually not a bad browser. If you just want to use it for basic web browsing, there's not any need to download a replacement. That said, both Firefox and Camino are better IMHO.

Back on topic, it's nice to see that Apple are doing their usual and letting the entire world bug test their product. Mac OS 10.0, anyone? ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy