Alan Smith sustains horrific injury

Posted by Wirah 
Re: Alan Smith sustains horrific injury
Date: February 19, 2006 11:15PM
Posted by: Wirah
When did I say that I remembered it? I've heard about it and the extreme severity of it from season reviews. I'm sure you know things about football/f1 in the time before you were born.

Date: February 19, 2006 11:28PM
Posted by: b-tone
that Busst one looks awful :(
Smiths one didn't look bad on tv - i think i was looking at the wrong leg though.
is he the one who throws bottles at the crowd?

reminds me of a race horse i saw that broke its leg - i'd always been a bit suspicious about them being put down 'just' for a broken leg. but with half a tonne running round on toothpicks, the toothpicks dont have much chance if something goes wrong :|

____
Tony

Date: February 19, 2006 11:34PM
Posted by: Wirah
b-tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that Busst one looks awful
> Smiths one didn't look bad on tv - i think i was
> looking at the wrong leg though.
> is he the one who throws bottles at the crowd?

Someone threw a bottle on to the pitch, and he threw it in the crowd, incidentally hitting his best friends sister, if I remember correctly.

Date: February 20, 2006 01:13AM
Posted by: gav
From the outside there's little difference between Smith's and Busst's. They both look like clean breaks, and they both folded over on the bone. I think it's the ligament damage which is the deciding factor on playing again, not the bone.
Date: February 20, 2006 01:22AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
pffffh there's loads of difference, are you blind? His leg was bent right over. It was broken in two places and also the bone cut through the skin and all came out and everything.

H E L L O
Date: February 20, 2006 02:13AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I don't think any of us are doctors to analyze a situation without having access to x-rays and firsthand contact with the injuries, so most of what's being said here is just guessing, not worth arguing over this. What goes on under the skin is what matters most, and even if the guy can go back to play the question will be how his mindset will be.

Ronaldo injured his head back when he played for PSV, and he scored tons of goals on headers when he played for Cruzeiro and PSV but after the injury he was never the same and he said it himself that there's always a second guess about doing it.
Date: February 20, 2006 03:27PM
Posted by: gav
Daniel Knott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pffffh there's loads of difference, are you blind?
> His leg was bent right over. It was broken in two
> places and also the bone cut through the skin and
> all came out and everything.

Medically the only difference should be to ligaments. I mean, obviously Busst's was worse - he's never played since - but Smith's is just as broken, came through the skin and the rest of it. He also dislocated his ankle. Cisse's leg sheared in 2 too. He was back playing football in 7 months.

Speaking of Cisse, he went into the United dressing room after the game to offer his sympathies and offer a few words of comfort and support. I doubt Alan was there, or able to understand him, but it was a nice gesture.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy