GCSE's are piss....

Posted by Mini Maestro 
Re: GCSE's are piss....
Date: June 21, 2005 11:45AM
Posted by: NickKK
No that's advanced extension award, I tried the physics ones really challenging and good fun. THAT's how uni's should differentiate between the top students but they don't really...sad :(

Date: June 21, 2005 12:02PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
NickKK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No that's advanced extension award, I tried the
> physics ones really challenging and good fun.

out get out! i did the maths one and got 15% :-o
Date: June 21, 2005 12:06PM
Don't even mention the maths one I only looked at it and said...nah can't do that. Aparently so did most people who did it. It is seriously weird and unwieldy, I couldn't even start so I just sat there :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2005 12:06PM by NickKK.
Date: June 21, 2005 01:09PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
danm Wrote:
> a levels do u up the arse compared to gcses.
>

And don't I know it.

*cries*

H E L L O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2005 01:09PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: June 21, 2005 01:15PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Some AS and A-Levels are a big step up, but some aren't. I do Sociology at AS and A level, and it's dead simple really. But then History, which was probably my second best subject at GCSE (although when you get 7 A*s and 4As, there's not much in it really :) - sorry, ahd to put that in just incase Mini Maestro messes up!!!) was a massive step. I had been getting full marks at GCSE, and then was getting like C's at AS.

But I agree that most are too formulaic. The exception for me would be History at A2 especially. One exam is just an essay. And you can do it in so many different ways. That's what I think all exams should be like.

Date: June 21, 2005 01:19PM
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2005 02:29PM by ChrisB.
Date: June 21, 2005 02:33PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
In all honesty i actually found as levels a piece of piss, especially maths. but A2 was alot harder.

Date: June 21, 2005 02:57PM
Which college Chris? I've got an offer to do Law at Queens.

Date: June 21, 2005 03:20PM
Posted by: Karan19
never studied in the UK so im just wondering...the GCSE's are the equivalent of grade 10 final exams? Like ICSE or SSC board exams in India at the end of 10th
Date: June 21, 2005 04:30PM
You do GCSE's in Year 10 and 11. The main exams are sat at the end of year 11, in May/June. Most people are 16 by then, but a few are 15. Then you go to 6th form, which isn't compulsary. You do AS levels in the first year, and then you generally carry on 3 of the 4 subjects to A2 level. The AS level is a stand-alone qualification, but if you take it onto A2 level, it counts as half of that. It's a really stupid system, becuase it means you do 3 consecutive years of major exams (and then uni!), but the AS year is so rushed that you don't feel like you've properly leanrt anything. All you do is work to the exam. Beofre 2000, there was just the final A-Level exams at the end of the 2years of 6th Form. Much better IMO

Date: June 21, 2005 07:37PM
Yeah with the old system you didn't waste a whole term in year 1 revising and preparing for exams you could get on with work and of course only one year of exams instead of two...not that AS was any presure in terms of revision but still.

Date: June 21, 2005 08:22PM
Posted by: Muks_C
I did a GNVQ, and my A-levels mates used to joke that it stood for "Generally not very quick and "going nowhere very quickly".

doesn't matter, i still got into uni and now have a degree.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 21, 2005 08:33PM
Posted by: FRESCO
i do Business Studies at A level, and its generally pretty easy. i got an A in A/S and an A in the january exam. got my last exam in it on thursday

however, i do computing and english lang and lit, and they have been pretty hard and i have struggled at times. finished my exams in them today. i got a C in AS for those, hoping for same at A level.

i feel a bit left out now cause every 1 i talk to seems to go to uni straight after sixth form. im takin a different route and getting an apprenticeship and will maybe go to uni after i have finished the qualification i get with the apprenticeship in three years time. depending on the options i have avaiable to me. hope it works out 4 me.

Date: June 21, 2005 09:41PM
Posted by: Wirah
I am in Year 9, and have recently chosen what I am taking for GCSE next year. English Literature, English Language, Maths, Single Science, PCHE, Citizenship, Religious Studies, ICT and Single PE are all compulsory. I have chosen Double Science, Buisness Studies, History and German as my options.
Date: June 21, 2005 10:26PM
Wirah Wrote:
> I am in Year 9, and have recently chosen what I am
> taking for GCSE next year. English Literature,
> English Language, Maths, Single Science, PCHE,
> Citizenship, Religious Studies, ICT and Single PE
> are all compulsory

single pe, citizenship and religious studies are all compulsary? thats extremely wierd - im guessing its an independant school?

Date: June 21, 2005 10:54PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Wirah Wrote:
> I am in Year 9, and have recently chosen what I am
> taking for GCSE next year. English Literature,
> English Language, Maths, Single Science, PCHE,
> Citizenship, Religious Studies, ICT and Single PE
> are all compulsory. I have chosen Double Science,
> Buisness Studies, History and German as my
> options.

business and history?
you have to be prepared for a bucketload of writing !! and the last mark on the business higher paper is awful...12 marks on the vaguest of questions!
Date: June 22, 2005 12:24AM
Actually the Intermediate GNVQ I did for ICT was pretty demanding (well for year 10 at least) we had to produce a lot of work to a high quality and we were laughing at all the gcse IT people when they had to switch course coz they knew nothing about IT at all :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy