AS / A levels

Posted by -qwerty- 
Re: AS / A levels
Date: August 15, 2002 03:10PM
Posted by: Zcott
Music GCSE is easy! I'd love to do it again, but I'm stuck with university level music...! :P
Date: August 15, 2002 03:54PM
Posted by: genesis
lol Hassan, I'm pretty lucky. I'm seriously naturally talented with music - not boasting, cos it's something I don't have control over ;-)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: August 16, 2002 03:08PM
Posted by: Ellis
lol :D

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 16, 2002 05:28PM
Posted by: Orpheus
hey i did exams in ireland there last june and getting results in september. but my ques is:

are A, B, C, D in england, scotland and wales the same as here.?

an A here is 85% +

B is 70%+

C is 55%+

D is 40% +

and what age do u do GCSE

and how many subjects do u do?

cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: August 16, 2002 06:03PM
Posted by: genesis
Do GCSE's at 16 here.

7 subjects. Dunno about percentage grade rates, they are different for every subject.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: August 16, 2002 08:13PM
Posted by: Vader
In Germany we have marks from "1 - 6", "6" being very bad, "1" being very good. If you have a "4" it means that you have just passed. To get a "4" in a test, for example, you have to get 50% right in most cases.

1 = very good
2 = good
3= satisfying
4= sufficient
5 = inadequate
6= insufficient

The difference between "5" and "6" is that the first means you have inadequate knowledge of the subject matter, but you might likely get better in the nearest future, whereas "6" means you are bad without any hope of improvent. A "6" is also what you get if you refuse to work, skip lessons or get caught cheating during a test. Marks for oral participation and written tests can have a "+" and "-" to show a tendency towards a better or a worse note. ("4 +" is almost "3", whereas "4 -" is halfway "5";). Marks in school certificates, however, don't have "+" and "-".
In sixth form (grade 12 and 13) we have the so called "course-system" where you get points from "0" - "15". Compared to the "1 - 6" scale it is like this:

0 = 6
1 - 3 = 5
4 - 6 = 4
7 - 9 = 3
10 - 12 = 2
13 - 15 = 1

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 17, 2002 01:16AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

In Australia, well NSW to be particular, we do the School Certificate at year 10, which is a know waste of time, cos it's irrelevant for future employment, no one cares about it. Then, in year 11 and 12, ur studying for the HSC - the Higher School Certificate. These results are given thru a UAI (University Admission Index) on a scale of 1 - 100, although you dont get ur result if ur under 35 or something. But to get that, you'd have to have the intent of not doing well. Anything in the 90's+ means ur very smart, and my sister got 96.5 last year which means I have a fair bit of work to do...:S

Date: August 17, 2002 06:48AM
In Standard Grades in Scotland the marks were 1-9

Top being 1 - 7 being fail

1, 2 - Credit
3, 4 - General
5, 6 - foundation
7 - Fail
8 - Cheated
9 - didnt sit the exam

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 17, 2002 07:29AM
jeez irish education is "believed" to be one of the best educational systems in the world but we dont do half the tests ye do!

when you are 14, 15 ,16 you have to sit ur first STATE exams which are well just a preparation for your Leaving cert which pretty much determins the rest of your life.u sit the leaving 2 or 3 years after ur junior cert.in junior cert u are graded by A, B ,C ,D, E , F , NG.

i have explained these already during this thread.

a grade D means you have got 40-55% where 40% is barely a pass.

a grade C means you have gotten honours 55-70%

a grade B means that you are good getting 70-85%

and the best is grade A which is 85-100%

an E and an F are fails and a N.G is no grade which is 0-10%

as i have said these tests are important but are really just a prep. for the leaving certificate.in junior cert you do about 10 subjects. you have to do Irish, English, maths, (french, german or spanish), history, geography, science (business,music,woodwork,metalwork,technical graphics or art,. you pick 2 out of these) and then you have to do CSPE( civic, social and political education).

in leaving cert the grades are more detailed

ie
a grade A is divided into 2 parts: an A1 and A2

A1= 90-100%
A2=85-90%

and then every other grade is divided into 3 parts

ie

B1= 80-85%
B2= 75-85%
B3= 70-75%

and same for grades C and D

to get into uni you have to fill out a CAO form about 4 months before your exams
in the CAO form you are required to fill in the uni course you most want to do. you have to fill in ur top 10 uni course. with ur 1st being ur preferred course. then u do ur leaving which determins whether u get the uni couse or not.

the grades converted into a points system in which an a1 being the top mark is 100points and an A2 being 90 points and B1 being 85 points and so on.

also in both jc and lc each subject is divided into 2 levels: honours and pass.

in honours an A1 is equal to 100 points but in pass ti is equal to 60 points cause the test is easier.

the top points u can achieve is 600 in which you are guaranteed a place in ur uni course whatever it may be.if u fail all ur subjects u get 0 points

u do 7+ subjects in ur leaving with ur top 6 being counted in the points system.u have to do irish, english, maths and another language in ur leaving. then u have to pick 3 or more from physics, biology,chemistry,accounting,business, tech drawing, construction studies, art , music, history, geog.

each uni couse is also represented by points: ie
most courses require hons maths

Medicing is about 565 points

dentistry is about 535 points

law is about 510 points

electrical engineering is about 510 points

arts (teaching and all that) is about 420points

these points go up and down each year according to the number of places available and the demand for the courses. they usually only change about 5 - 10 points each year

all these courses are degrees. you can also do a cert or diploma for less points.

if u dont reach ur points quota u can repeat ur leaving in the following year.

u enter uni usually at aroung 17 or 18 or 19 years of age.

HURRAY!

cheers

Date: August 17, 2002 06:36PM
enough info??

Date: August 18, 2002 05:01AM
oh yeah :P

Date: August 18, 2002 12:18PM
well ive put an end to this topic :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy