Prometheus (the movie) - thumbs down

Posted by Vader 
Prometheus (the movie) - thumbs down
Date: December 16, 2012 02:13PM
Posted by: Vader
Just watched the movie on DVD (we're a little slow over here).

I love the original Alien. Aliens was poor as a prequel but nonetheless a good action Sci-Fi movie. Alien3 and Alien - Resurrection also had their good moments (though nowhere close to the atmosphere and complexity of the first Alien).

But this movie - I am disappointed to say the least. The characters are shallow. I don't see any character development, they are all just walking and talking clichés. The story is hair-raisingly absurd and full of esoteric kitsch.

Just a few (out of many) annyoing examples: the very moment you land on an alien plant the first thing you do is drive into an unknown structure just like that and then take off your helmets? They did the same in Alien, but those were tough cowboys and not a bunch of milksop scientists. You'd reckon they had something like first contact protocls, security guidelines or at least some common sense (you should know that it's never a good idea to seperate from the main group.) Come on!

Couldn't they find a real old person to play Weyland? Why this ridicolous mask? Every elementary school drama group has better costumes. Talking about Weyland - why did they steal the Waylon Jennings logo?

The most striking question, however, is why a race of people, capable of traveling space and initializing new life on distant planets, has to sacrifice itself to get DNA into the water. Shouldn't technacilly advanced folks have other means? And why does it have to be that complicated? On a mountain top in the middle of a storm? Aren't there shores easier to access? Or is it just to get abstruse mystical and pseudo symbollic pictures? A good example for I meant when I said "esoteric kitsch".

And morever, if they wanted to create sapient life similar to themselves (and that's obviuously what they wanted, using their own DNA) why didn't they do so straight away? Why hassle with all these steps of eveolution and wait for protozoon, hagfish and Mesozoic mammals to turn into humans, just top destroy them once it has happened?

And if their DNA is completely identical with ours (they say a 100% in the movie) why the heck do they look different?

I want my 120 minutes back, Ridley Scott.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Re: Prometheus (the movie) - thumbs down
Date: December 16, 2012 04:20PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
That's not my understanding of what happened!

My understanding is that the alien at the start has been banished to live alone on Earth as punishment for something. He is given the alien-equivalent of a cyanide capsule should he find facing such a lonely, bleak future unbearable. The suicide option obviously is the obliterating tonic he drinks which destroys his DNA, one cell at a time.

Unfortunately, on this occasion something happened and a strand of DNA or strands of DNA survived, and managed to find their way into Earth's waters and eventually evolve into life.

When contact is made and the alien recognises what has happened, they are hostile towards humans, who in their eyes are accidents and abominations.

The plant the film takes place on is clearly an old bioweapons station which has been abandoned in some sort of conflict. The alien we see bursting out of Repace's womb is part of that bioweapon program.

I thought the whole thing was excellent tbh and in parts, @#$%& disgusting.

But I know there are scores of people who disagree.
Date: December 16, 2012 04:45PM
Posted by: Vader
Well, it could be or not. Still this movie makes is pretty poor considering a genius like Ridley Scott is responsible.

Take the captain, for example. His people are in danger or get killed in this structure and instead of using this bigass hologram of the cave to help them he has nothing better to do than play hide the salami with Vickers. Sure.

Or take Noomi. People are after her and still she has time to cut herself open and remove that alien and no one is even trying to find or hinder her. In fact no one even seems to care what she has done later.

Just two examples that show how poorly designed the characters are. Whatever happens, no on gives a sh*t about anything.

Another example? Sure. Two people from the away are missing, one is found dead, the other is gone and there is no signal. Later they suddenly get the signal again, right in front of the hathchway. Ignoring the fact that something on that planet already slaughtered a crew member they open the hatch. And they do it without checking first what's going on outside (they sure have cameras or such) and allow the monster to kill them. Darwin award, anyone?

This is all so abstruse that it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. To me this movie is pathetic to say the least.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 18, 2012 02:22AM
Posted by: mortal
Butterfly on a wheel. A great movie with a brilliant twist at the end.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy