Past Lives - who believes?

Posted by EC83 
Past Lives - who believes?
Date: May 06, 2012 11:54PM
Posted by: EC83
This is a subject that's intrigued me for a long time now, partly because of the apparent unlikeliness of it and partly because it's so deep. What are the chances that this isn't actually the only life we'll live, that in fact our souls keep being reincarnated and we keep coming back time after time after time?
This first got brought to my attention when I was given a book to read called "Many Lives, Many Masters". That was a couple of years ago, and since then my interest has steadily increased. A few times recently I've phoned up psychics who have told me things that have only made me more fascinated, not least because they've nearly all turned out to be true(Both past events and future predictions). Included in them were past life connections to people who I know in this life.
I know it's something that'll seem ridiculous to anyone who's never thought about it before, and it's the kind of thing that needs to be approached with an open mind, otherwise you just end up writing it off and laughing at it. But I think there's increasing evidence to support it. I started out as a hardcore skeptic myself, but the more I thought about this the more sense it began to make.

My decision to start this thread was triggered by noticing a reply from Vader to a question I asked him in his Ask Vader thread; since it's an Ask Vader thread and not an Ask EC83 thread, and given my interest in the subject, I felt I should post my answer here instead.

Vader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you been dead already?

Yeah, as it happens, I do believe that I've lived and died before, and more than once.

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this matter and hear whether anyone here has had any psychic experiences or past life flashbacks?
PS - As silly as this topic might seem to some, I'd like to have a serious discussion. Anyone who ridicules the topic will be missing the point.

Re: Past Lives - who believes?
Date: May 07, 2012 01:15AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I've always held this fancy that this is was happens to us all, over and over and over. And that one time, I'll cheat the system and end up with all of my memories and be a super-human from birth.

But the Biologist in me suspects that it's all bullshit. When we're gone, we're gone.
Date: May 07, 2012 04:13AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I fear that when we're gone, we're gone too, however given the complexity of life in general, and how we mostly believe it came to be, I feel we may still be connected to "things." Honestly, I do hope so as I dearly miss some people, animals, and would like more lifetimes with some people in my life. I also don't outrule past lives/reincarnation, Nature is very good at recycling ;).
Date: May 07, 2012 04:02PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Ah this discussion, always an interesting one.

My family, well the female part of my family have always semi-believed in this, dropping jokes about how in past lives they must have been a certain type of person. An example being that my sister is very good at languages because in a past life she wasn't english. Then again they believe more in the afterlife side of things as opposed to reincarnation, although i think to a certain level they do believe coming back/previous lives is entirely possible

I've always wanted to believe in either reincarnation or afterlife, mainly the latter, mainly because the idea is better than nothingness ;-), but have never had enough evidence to convince me to believe that anything like that actually occurs. Then again as you were EC83, im a skeptic. As the guys above said, once your gone that's it, you only get one shot of things.

On the psychic stuff, i personally have never experienced anything like that, but i believe my mum had something to do with the death of a relative that was predicted by a psychic. I can't believe that kind of thing however, for me it comes down to a certain amount of background knowledge and guessing, together with the participants willingness to believe comes together to create a level "realism".

But that's my view on things :)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 04:06PM by truecrysis.
Date: May 07, 2012 04:56PM
Posted by: jawwad01
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:55AM by jawwad01.
Date: May 08, 2012 09:15AM
I also believe there has to be something more because of how things are intertwined. I have had dreams that played out in real life, and not just the feeling of them having happened (as many dreams can misleadingly do), as I've actually discussed it after having it and a few months later, voila.
Date: May 08, 2012 11:21AM
Posted by: jawwad01
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:54AM by jawwad01.
Date: May 08, 2012 08:31PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
I'm not religous, but I believe in souls being 'recycled'...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: May 08, 2012 11:19PM
Posted by: n00binio
is there a difference between being gone forever and not being able to remember past lifes?

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: May 08, 2012 11:59PM
n00binio Wrote:
> is there a difference between being gone forever
> and not being able to remember past lifes?

Maybe the in-between period
Date: May 09, 2012 07:52PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I remember seeing this vid ages ago (in the old days of Religion & Philosophy class) where this girl could 'remember' how she died in a past life; she remembers being a man who delivered candlesticks and got knocked off of his bike by a car and died.

She met the man's parents and they confirmed that their son died in that way. If I remember correctly, she also had a birthmark where the car caused the man's fatal injury.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 10, 2012 03:47PM
Posted by: danm
I like things to have a reason usually.

But I sit on both extremes, being really open to it; whilst also being close minded most times.

I think there is something in this whole visions/deja vu concept too, be it past lives or future self.

But ask yourself about self fulfilling prophecies too!

My girlfriend went to see a psychic last week, the same one she saw once before when she was younger. Back then, she was told shed meet a guy that fitted my exact self - looks and profession - and we'd meet at the exact time span we got together. She went again the other day for an update after we had a huge row, and she was told there would be a baby involved very soon. We've now separated (hah!) and shes already fishing out a guy with the same characteristics, albeit one more than I had - being sporty. Call that a power, or just a self fulfilling prophecy?

Amusingly, I went to see the same psychic out of sheer curiosity several days later, and didn't mention that I was in any way connected to my ex-girlfriend. She did pick up on a fair few things that were eerily spot on (mousey brown hair and glasses; a contract issue; a split but not quite a split; a new woman for me very quickly, and indeed a baby very soon. I recorded it sneakily, and I responded with blunt and monotone yes. no. answers without giving anything away to give me a cold reading based on what I leaked. As it happens, we have split, we bought a house and there is an outstanding issue revolving our joint mortgage. We are separate, but still live together. The guy she is already seeing is getting on a bit, and she is constantly making remarks about a womans prime age. Hopefully she isn't going to pop out one of my kiddos, but it does make you think outside the box in terms of hypnosis almost. Make out of that what you want.

At the same time, I went straight onto the dating scene and am sizing up a few other girls. Was the psychics prediction I'd be over this within 6 weeks true? Or was it in my mindset to make it happen?

I guess time will tell. And I have some cracking dates in the pipeline, more suited to me than anyone before. We shall see!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 03:49PM by danm.
Date: May 10, 2012 04:18PM
Posted by: chet
Quite open minded about this stuff. Im certainly one of them who thinks any answer to a previously unanswered question is good enough until a proven (by fact or mathematics) answer is the case. It's like right now, isn't the easiest explanation of the existence of the universe simply God? I believe it work's mathematically (though don't ask how you represent God :p). So that works for me until proven otherwise.

I've always found deja vu strange. Especially when it's so clear. About the physic stuff, you always hear some interesting stories, as with hypnosis too! But it is certainly one thing you can never judge till you have experienced it for yourself.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 11, 2012 12:48AM
Posted by: danm
The thing with deja vu for me is the minute details of what it is.

I won't feel I've been to an exact place before as such as some people say. It'll be a fragment of a situation, like the way a pen is laid over a certain magazine on a table. It's mostly objects for me, as opposed to people saying things too. The image I get a deja vu experience from will be like a polaroid snapshot of that pen and a bit of the magazine. It's hard to explain, and I never remember thinking things before; only the instant they happen.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 11, 2012 01:34AM
Posted by: truecrysis
Whenever i've had deja vu its basically a short clip of an exact moment. For example I was in a lecture and one of my mates said something, i remember thinking that i've heard that been said before in that exact location at that exact time with everything being exactly the same. Sounds pretty much like something that could happen all the time, except i knew in that case it was pretty much physically impossible due to the fact we had never had that specific lecture before. I always feel whenever i experience it that i've seen that moment in a dream before, and have had the feeling many times.

It's weird, the idea of someone "seeing" themselves at an exact time in the future (basically what deja vu is for me) feels entirely possible to me, whereas seeing backwards into/having past lives feels completely impossible, despite both having as much evidence as the other. Although that's partly because the idea that i can see myself at a future point in time and possibly have done is quite an awesome ;)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: May 11, 2012 07:48PM
Posted by: J i m
Well, I can't honestly claim to have ever felt to be a reincarnation and I'd admit to being a skeptic. I'm not particulary religious and tend to lean towards the position of "when you're dead then you're dead, nothing else" however I'd concede that's somewhat comforting to believe that lost loved ones are "somewhere up there".

As for déjà vu, yes I've had that feeling vividly. I can't quite explain it but I guess it's based on familiarity.

Moving onto paranormal things.. Ghosts or whatever.. I tend to believe that's in an person's mind. If someone is susceptible or a believer for example then they are far more likely to have "experiences" and believe them.

Date: May 11, 2012 08:03PM
Posted by: gav
I'm sure this is a common view.

I'm not religious, though I'm not 100% completely closed minded, and I don't believe in reincarnation, but I just can't grasp the theory that once you're dead that's it.

My head simply refuses to acknowledge or entertain the possibility that everything just ends and there is absolute nothingness beyond that... I'm sure that's the way it is, but for whatever reason I can't envisage such a scenario.
Date: May 13, 2012 12:08AM
Posted by: Slash
i believe we're energy, when we die we transform our energy into something else, will we be rational?, don't know, what is that?, maybe when we die we reach another dimension where we have "everything", and we understand the full picture and how naive we are as humans being.

but reincarnation i don't beleive too much in it, i mean really earth is not the center of the galaxy nor the universe, why would we reborn here? and if we do, why in a human body? are we that important?, or do we think as humans that we are "that important?" we can return to life as a worm, bacteria or something else, no?

implying reincarnation haves some religios thing in it, that means "heaven" is real?, i don't think "heaven" is just top of the sky, it's the dimension where we travel, maybe, and we'll find our previous family members not in human form but their energy, who supposedly have been watching us for a while. but if we return to life, then how many family members will be waiting on the other side?

there's too many questions to debate, what i believe is that we are energy and we will transform that energy into something else, something that will subsequently give birth to other forms of energy around us.
Date: May 13, 2012 10:29AM
Slash Wrote:
> i believe we're energy, when we die we transform
> our energy into something else, will we be
> rational?, don't know, what is that?, maybe when
> we die we reach another dimension where we have
> "everything", and we understand the full picture
> and how naive we are as humans being.
>
> but reincarnation i don't beleive too much in it,
> i mean really earth is not the center of the
> galaxy nor the universe, why would we reborn here?
> and if we do, why in a human body? are we that
> important?, or do we think as humans that we are
> "that important?" we can return to life as a worm,
> bacteria or something else, no?
>
> implying reincarnation haves some religios thing
> in it, that means "heaven" is real?, i don't think
> "heaven" is just top of the sky, it's the
> dimension where we travel, maybe, and we'll find
> our previous family members not in human form but
> their energy, who supposedly have been watching us
> for a while. but if we return to life, then how
> many family members will be waiting on the other
> side?
>
> there's too many questions to debate, what i
> believe is that we are energy and we will
> transform that energy into something else,
> something that will subsequently give birth to
> other forms of energy around us.

What if family and loved ones are actually just fragments of the same strand of energy, which could be why there's this connection in our world.
Date: May 13, 2012 10:33AM
Posted by: J i m
My head just exploded.

Yet, I suppose if we can assume that we were basically creating out of an exploding star which contains all the building blocks of well anything then our atoms could well become just about anything else.

Looking at things in a kind of cold scientific way.. It strengthens my belief that most things are simply in our imaginations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy