Forcing Video card draw rate above refresh rate

Posted by salvasirignano 
Forcing Video card draw rate above refresh rate
Date: August 08, 2011 07:10PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Hi there :)
I recently acquired MGPRS2 having greatly enjoyed playing F1 Racing Simulation.
Unfortunately, with it being an old CPU speed dependant game it doesn't run at the correct speed on my computer.
My monitor supports up to 75Hz, but at that rate the game is running too slowly (in slow motion)
I need the game/video card to be chucking out 130 frames per second or so, even though those extra frames won't be drawn by the monitor.
Is there anything i can do to force it?
Modern games I have like GTR2, rfactor etc get above 150 fps on my vista computer without vsync enabled without any problems

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Re: Forcing Video card draw rate above refresh rate
Date: August 08, 2011 07:37PM
Posted by: gav
I don't know the game, but I'm guessing that it won't be the refresh rate that's causing the problems. I'm going to guess that it'll either be the CPU (older games often don't work correctly with Cool 'n Quiet (AMD) or Speed Step (Intel) enabled, and as such run either much too fast or much too slow - try disabling that and other energy-saving measures in the BIOS if you can) or that the GPU isn't detecting the presence of a 3D application, and set itself as such and so it's running much slower than it ought to be.
Thanks very much for your reply gav.
Unfortunately with my computer being a Dell there wasn't that option in the BIOS, so I went to control panel and set the power profile to high performance. That didn't work however. :(
I'll keep trying to faff around with my current hardware settings, if not I may get myself an old CRT monitor that'll support 120Hz plus refresh rates? :)
Thanks again
Re: Forcing Video card draw rate above refresh rate
Date: August 09, 2011 10:44AM
Posted by: gav
It's not refresh rate. All the refresh rate is is how often the screen redraws itself. It doesn't matter how fast the computer is performing, the screen will just redraw what information it is given from the computer. If you were getting ghosting, then refresh rate may be to blame, but it can't induce slow performance.

Don't confuse refresh rate with frames per second - they're very different.
But I forgot to mention, the game will only really run smoothly with vsync enabled, so at the moment it will only output 75 FPS.
If I had a monitor with a higher refresh rate and enabled vsync wouldn't I get more FPS rendered and a faster running game?
Without vsync, the game is sometimes around 130FPS, and the time runs correctly, but if it's either side of that it goes too fast or too slow depending on the FPS.
So I need a way of fixing the FPS to roughly that figure I think????? :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy