question for slow low-spec machines

Posted by ooleeeo 
question for slow low-spec machines
Date: June 27, 2011 11:04AM
Posted by: ooleeeo
This is my laptop spec on which I play games:

lenovo g530 series,2.16 ghz,dual core,160 gb hdd,1 gb ram,intel inbuilt graphics.

my question-my laptop has two memory slots,each for 2 gb ram.
so if I install a 2 gb ram,that means total ram is 3 gb-right?
with upgraded ram,I should be able to play gp4 and f1c,even rfactor with average details and less stuttering.
so is a ram upgrade advised?
please help.

Kimi forever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 11:05AM by ooleeeo.
Re: question for slow low-spec machines
Date: June 27, 2011 11:15AM
Posted by: mortal
No, it is 2 x 2. Take out the 1GB and replace with 2 x 2GB. You still wont be able to play games without choppy graphics due to the inadequacy of the intel on-board graphics. Upgrading the ram probably would not make much of a difference to game-play.
You need a rig with a proper graphics card with its on own board memory to get the full benefit of today's games.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 28, 2011 08:40AM
Posted by: gav
As Mortal says, it's the Intel graphics system - it's rubbish for gaming. The rest of the system is just about adequate for light gaming.

You could certainly do with extra RAM, but the only real way to improve the gaming performance is to buy a better laptop - one with an ATI or NVidia graphics chip... and even low-end gaming laptops aren't cheap, starting at around £500 in the UK the last time I checked. You can't just do what you can with a desktop PC and buy a graphics card - with laptops they're almost always soldered onto the system board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 08:41AM by gav.
Date: June 28, 2011 08:58AM
but gp4 is an old game,right?
are you saying that I cannot play even if I use low res textures for cars and mods?
I want to play the game,graphics is not too important to me.
but no,not with white cars,of course.:-O

Kimi forever!
Date: June 28, 2011 09:59AM
If you do not want white cars in a mod, you must set the in-game graphics to high. Do that, and the on-board graphics falls in a heap. The obvious solution to your problem is to buy a desktop pc with a decent graphics card, and on your way out, drop the lap-top in the bin. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 28, 2011 10:21AM
so no one in this forum uses integrated intel graphics spec laptop to play gp4?

Kimi forever!
Date: June 28, 2011 11:56AM
I don't think so. The majority of gamers here use desktop pc's. As far as I know you're the only one here that does, or tries to. You might be able to run GP3 in software mode.
As Gav has already said, if you must have a laptop, get one with a 1GB ATI or NVidia chip.
Gaming Laptop Reviews You can get some bargains on Ebay.

I recall that I already told you quite some time ago that you're probably pushing sh1t uphill with a pointy pencil trying to play games with an integrated graphics chip.
What you have to remember is that the guys that are making the mods here for GP4 are not making them on laptops with integrated graphics, they have desktop pc's with decent graphics cards or a gamers lap-top. You cannot even get the full benefit of an out-of-the-box vanilla GP4 installation without having a decent rig.

The actual minimum requirements for GP4 was set far too low, and many users had problems getting GP4 to run with more than the minimum stated requirements.

GP4 System Requirements

Minimum system requirements
- Windows 95/98/ME/XP
- Intel PII 400MHz or equivalent
- 64MB of RAM
- 16MB DirectX 8.0 compatible video card
- 4x CD-ROM drive
- 100MB free space on hard drive
- DirectX 8.0 compatible sound card

Recommended system requirements
- Windows 95/98/ME/XP
- Intel PIII 750MHz or equivalent
- 128MB of RAM or more
- 32MB DirectX 8.0 compatible 3D card
- 16x CD-ROM
- 600MB free space on hard drive
- 100% DirectX 8.0 hardware accelerated sound card with EAX support

As you can see above, the minimum calls for a 16MB graphics card, although the minimum should have been 64MB, and the recommended 128MB.
The graphics engine for GP4 is biased heavily towards the CPU, however having a dual or quad-core CPU is no help at all, as GP4 does not support hyper-threading and can only use one CPU, as evident by the fact that in GpXPatch, only one CPU must be selected.
The GP4 graphics engine has allowed for far superior graphics rendering to be employed with mods, and the community has taken full advantage of that as you know with all the hi-res mods that are now available. So, when you have a good graphics card, GP4 can take advantage of it and reduce the load on the CPU.

So, to sum up, the limitations of an on-board graphics chip are apparent as soon as you attempt to do any proper rendering, which is what GP4 requires. When the graphics engine discovers that there is a major bottleneck caused by a tiny on-board graphics chip it has to fall over, it cannot do anything else, and that is before you even apply a mod to the equation.
Unfortunately the lap-top you have is just not designed to do what you are trying to get it to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 12:23PM by mortal.
Date: June 28, 2011 12:16PM
Posted by: truecrysis
I've tried to have GP4 installed on my laptop, which has intergrated intel graphics and 2GB RAM, but i simply uninstalled it after a little bit, because driving with it, even with everything set on low, wasn't great, and thats without any detail or mods. I've considered reinstalling so that i will be able to test what i create ingame on my laptop, but i have a feeling that it won't be worth it, as it will go too slow to test properly.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: June 28, 2011 12:47PM
You would think that a ten year old game would not require such a full on system, but it does. But when you consider what it has to do, it's not surprising really.

Date: June 28, 2011 12:51PM
Gp3 runs quite smoothly(except for reduced belini tracks) and f1c as well,wit minor tweaks I can get f1c working comfortably.
Actually,it said that replacing a laptop graphics card is like a heart surgery-is it that difficult?
I hear that it is possible.

Kimi forever!
Date: June 28, 2011 01:03PM
Not on your machine, it does not have a graphics card to change, it has a soldered on chip. If you really want to play GP4, in all it's glory, you have to upgrade.

Date: June 29, 2011 07:00AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not on your machine, it does not have a graphics
> card to change, it has a soldered on chip. If you
> really want to play GP4, in all it's glory, you
> have to upgrade.

rofl he isnt giving up!

Date: June 29, 2011 07:13AM
The machine is not mine,I am an undergraduate at st xaviers college(orientation on friday) so when I earn on my own,I will upgrade.

Kimi forever!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy