Sound + Mouse stutter Problem (Solved)

Posted by Monza972 
Sound + Mouse stutter Problem (Solved)
Date: November 04, 2010 07:13PM
Posted by: Monza972
Hi,

I bought a new LG LCD Monitor yesterday after my old one caved in and blew causing the whole house to stink. It's a VGA monitor and it's running on XP SP3. However for some strange reason, I keep getting a stutter after playing music or watching videos. What seems to happen is that the sound starts to skip and the mouse seems to lag like what the mouse would feel like if it wasn't on a smooth surface and working.

Is it something to do with the Monitor drivers? (Monitors don't usually have drivers but this one came with a disc and said to install it :S) as I've uninstalled and reinstalled them. I haven't had a chance to get the soundcard out and see if that fixes it. But does anyone have a general idea on a problem like this?

Most Google searches just gave me things like registry fixes.

Help,

Monil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 01:50AM by Monza972.
Re: Sound + Mouse stutter Problem
Date: November 05, 2010 02:48PM
Posted by: kaid
I am no expert but could it maybe be a pc overheating issue? I dont really see the connection between your monitor and sound lagging? Have you tried playing music with the monitor turned off?

Date: November 05, 2010 06:27PM
Posted by: gav
The only connection I can make is that the power being flipped has corrupted a system or driver file or something. Can you get power surges from the power being cut, if so I guess that could have caused a fault somewhere?

There are monitor to PC connections signals (as well as PC to monitor), but the likelihood of a surge coming through the VGA or DVI cable is next to nothing I'd imagine.

Personally, I think the most likely reason is an external power surge which has blown your monitor and maybe damaged a PC component, rather than the monitor causing the problem itself.

If there's no stutter when there's no sound (or better still when you remove the sound card), then clearly the problem is either the sound card or the drivers... the fact that the sound works, albeit poorly, suggests it's the card itself which is at fault rather than the drivers.
Date: November 06, 2010 02:02AM
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I ended up uninstalling the drivers for the monitor last night through device manager and then restarted it. Seems to have solved the issue (touchwood)
Date: November 06, 2010 08:18PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only connection I can make is that the power
> being flipped has corrupted a system or driver
> file or something. Can you get power surges from
> the power being cut, if so I guess that could have
> caused a fault somewhere?
>
> There are monitor to PC connections signals (as
> well as PC to monitor), but the likelihood of a
> surge coming through the VGA or DVI cable is next
> to nothing I'd imagine.
>
> Personally, I think the most likely reason is an
> external power surge which has blown your monitor
> and maybe damaged a PC component, rather than the
> monitor causing the problem itself.
>
> If there's no stutter when there's no sound (or
> better still when you remove the sound card), then
> clearly the problem is either the sound card or
> the drivers... the fact that the sound works,
> albeit poorly, suggests it's the card itself which
> is at fault rather than the drivers.

Problem's come back again. yay -.-

My old screen was an 8yr old Packard Bell CRT and when it went it didn't blow to bits but had become something like this

[twitpic.com]

So uninstalling and letting it find the "drivers" didn't work. But after my CRT had "died" I had moved my PC to my HD telly in the living room and had connected to it via HDMI. I had watched a lot of videos that day and did play music on Windows Media and Spotify. However it's only after I got this monitor it's started to go a bit weird.

Since the first thing didn't work. I've cleaned out the case and the fans as per kaid's advice. I'll see what that does now, if it still screws about then, I'll remove the soundcard and drivers and let you know more.

Thanks Again
Date: November 06, 2010 09:15PM
Posted by: kaid
Why dont you connect it again with your telly and see if it will start to stutter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 09:16PM by kaid.
Date: November 06, 2010 11:41PM
kaid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why dont you connect it again with your telly and
> see if it will start to stutter.

I shall try that tip when I get a chance tomorrow.
Date: December 04, 2010 09:08PM
Hi.

The problem's been solved. It was a case of overheating. I didn't want to say it straight away as I wanted to see how it functioned or if the problem arose.

Cheers for all the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy