Windows 7 soundcards - help

Posted by Vader 
Windows 7 soundcards - help
Date: October 31, 2010 08:35PM
Posted by: Vader
After years of more or less stable running my XP-based system finally gave in. I was getting random BSoDs and shut downs. First I thought it was just a faulty ram stick but as it looks the trusty old GA mobo is dying. USB doesn't work anymore and trying to burn a CD/DVD makes the system lock up.

Anyway, I urgently needed a replacement. I could get a hardly ever used PC from a mate who just bought it two weeks ago but then decided he he actually wanted a Mac.

Now I got this new rig - nothing special. A Packard Bell with Intel i5 @ 2,67 GHz, nvidia GT 220, 6 GB Ram and a 1 TB Western Digital HD. Since I hardly play games at all these days - apart from SNES emulators - it's enough for me.

Well, now changing from XP to Windows 7 64bit was quite a big step, but I think I start to like the new OS. IMHO it looks a lot more appealing then vista which I only know from friend's PCs.

To cut a long story short, I'm quite satisfied. The only thing that bugs me is that my old soundcard (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with Terratec wavetable daughterboard) isn't supported anymore. I could install the xp drivers, but then I would lose most functions of said cards. At least I read somewhere it can be done in Windows 7 32bit. But as I said I would lose a lot of functions and I don't want to f*ck up Windows.

Does anyone know of a brilliant (and I really mean it) wavetable soundcard for Windows 7? Doesn't matter if PCI or USB, I just want good synth sounds for homerecording. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Re: Windows 7 soundcards - help
Date: November 01, 2010 10:39AM
Posted by: casabonka
Not sure if this is related or not, But I had issues with my dad's PC when upgrading from XP - Win7 with the sound card.
The issue was with upper filters [pcsupport.about.com]

Not a techie at all, but that was the issue we were having, but this was giving us no sound until the filter was deleted...

2013 - Nando must come through..
Re: Windows 7 soundcards - help
Date: November 01, 2010 08:42PM
Posted by: Ryoji
If you like some keys with it too, maybe this would work [de.m-audio.com].

But I'd think running a softsynth shouldn't be a problem for your machine, but from what I've seen MIDI ports are less common nowadays.
So something like [de.m-audio.com] this should be sufficent and knowing you're a musician I'd assume you wouldn't mind using it for some recording too. Oh, and it has Windows 7 driver support [de.m-audio.com].
Apart from that these products [www.sonic-core.net] look interesting, but already quite the investment.

Best,

ryoji
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy