maths people ?

Posted by chet 
maths people ?
Date: August 18, 2010 09:11PM
Posted by: chet
A little problem ...

I have a 4th order equation where the roots are non-rational. The coefficients are not integers.

Is there a way I can factorize this 4th order equation into two 2nd order equations?

Google hasnt been of great help. Most example cases are where the coefficents provided are integers.

Im trying in matlab using the factor() command, but computer says no. Im not a maths guy, and unless it's heavily applied then I can easily get lost :p I feel I could be missing something simple here.

Thanks!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: maths people ?
Date: August 18, 2010 09:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
Date: August 18, 2010 11:17PM
Posted by: mortal
No. it's 42, everyone knows the answer is 42!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 18, 2010 11:40PM
Posted by: Guimengo
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little problem ...
> Im trying in mehtlab using the factor() command,
> but computer says no. Im not a maths guy, and
> unless it's heavily applied then I can easily get
> lost :p I feel I could be missing something simple
> here.
>
> Thanks!

Don't do it, Chet! ;)
Date: August 18, 2010 11:52PM
I agree with mortal :p!

but pah this isnt an issue now. that doesnt mean to say ive found the solution i was looking for, but rather apparently i had it all along!!!

haha gui, dont worry i wont be :p!

Date: August 19, 2010 12:07AM
Posted by: Vader
Crystal meth is better than methlab. It might not give you the answer but the colours are awesome and you totally forget caring about integers and stuff. And teeth are overrated anyway.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 19, 2010 12:34AM
Posted by: danm

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 19, 2010 01:54AM
Posted by: n00binio
chet, could you post the equation? i'd like to have a look at it. usually a polynomial long division is a good approach but the fact that the roots are non-rational could be a problem

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: August 19, 2010 04:34AM
Posted by: EC83
It's been ages since I did any Maths but yeah, I agree with n00binio, if you post the equation we could maybe help more. And polynomials are one of the things about Maths which I got best.

Date: August 19, 2010 10:55AM
Yup, knock yourselves out...

s^4 + 1.097s^3 - 1.0273s^2 + 0.0211s + 0.0290

Though ive calculated the eigenvalues as;

So does that mean it can be solved by polynomial long division?

edit - I think the numbers I need are indeed those roots.

Ive very much confused myself. Let this be a warning, if you do wish to learn theory's and subjucts upon which are based on maths, then please learn maths, unlike myself lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 12:12PM by chet.
Date: August 19, 2010 12:19PM
every polynomial can be factorized into linear factors using the polynomial long division. the amount of factors is given by the degree of the polynomial (fundamental theorem of algebra)
the problem is to find enough roots (can be complex numbers) to do the division. if you know all roots (like you do) there's no point in doing the division, you can just write down the linear factors. which leads to the question: how did you calculate them?

Date: August 19, 2010 07:11PM
I used matlab ;)!

And the eigenvector function told me all I needed to know :)!

Its annoying because ive spent a very long time trying to find ways to calculate by hand but the answer was there all along, right in front of me :p again further lesson to learn before you do lol! though ive learnt from it!

Date: August 19, 2010 07:51PM
ahhh yes, matlab :-)

it's indeed frustrating to spend hours on a problem just to find out that the solution is trivial but that's maths. else it would be boring ;)

Date: August 20, 2010 10:04AM
i wouldnt say it's not boring, or boring, but would say its certainly rewarding!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy