University Help

Posted by Monza972 
University Help
Date: July 01, 2010 09:26PM
Posted by: Monza972
Hi guys

I'm need of some help in choosing which uni to go to and how to go about doing it. I've been put into the UCAS fast track class but i'm still unsure of what i want to do in the future. I mean i have a fair idea as i want to do something do with computers but in either the software or internet dept. but don't want to get stuck doing something to do with hardware (i don't mind a bit of it).

I've looked at courses such as Computer Science and Internet systems on the UCAS site and the respective universities but with comp sci, it mentions that i will have to do some kind of maths, but i don't what type. I mean i'm currently fine-ish with Maths at AS and A2 but don't want to continue properly doing it into uni. Also, there are somethings which are mentioned such as algorithms and stuff that are in the further maths courses and i don't do further maths. Is it going to be a problem or it could be okay?

Could anyone who either is at uni or does any of the courses give me some idea?

Thanks for a grand help,

Monil
Re: University Help
Date: July 02, 2010 01:23AM
Posted by: n00binio
i heard from some mates (i don't know what they're studying exactly, it's some computer related stuff) that there's a good chance that you'll have to do some maths. it involves some number theory, logic, sequences, series, real functions and some linear algebra. i had to do some of that stuff myself, it's tough but not impossible

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 02, 2010 01:54PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Maths in the first year of uni basically consists of getting everybody up to the same standard, so the better you do at A-level, the better prepared you will be. I was so-well prepared I got to sit out the first half-year of maths classes.

First-year uni maths is A-level stuff, algebra, trig, matrices, the usual fare. If you're up to speed on that you'll be fine I reckon. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 02, 2010 02:05PM
Posted by: n00binio
turkey_machine schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maths in the first year of uni basically consists
> of getting everybody up to the same standard, so
> the better you do at A-level, the better prepared
> you will be. I was so-well prepared I got to sit
> out the first half-year of maths classes.
>
> First-year uni maths is A-level stuff, algebra,
> trig, matrices, the usual fare. If you're up to
> speed on that you'll be fine I reckon. :)

were these special maths lectures for your subject or the standard lectures for the people who do just maths?

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 03, 2010 12:09AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
n00binio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> turkey_machine schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maths in the first year of uni basically
> consists
> > of getting everybody up to the same standard,
> so
> > the better you do at A-level, the better
> prepared
> > you will be. I was so-well prepared I got to
> sit
> > out the first half-year of maths classes.
> >
> > First-year uni maths is A-level stuff, algebra,
> > trig, matrices, the usual fare. If you're up to
> > speed on that you'll be fine I reckon. :)
>
> were these special maths lectures for your subject
> or the standard lectures for the people who do
> just maths?

It's most likely that the first year computing courses are pretty much the same depending on the uni you go to, so not "special" if ya like, but certainly not too diverse.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 03, 2010 01:22AM
Posted by: chet
Monil - from my experience of engineering maths, it rarley gets more difficult than the stuff in A-level and I think thats standard unless you do a pure maths course a uni. If you can do A-level maths, there aint alot you cant do with numbers at uni imo ;-)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 03, 2010 05:07PM
Posted by: harjinator
lol, i did engineering maths and hated every second of it. i get by using luck and the odd bit of fancy computer work...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: July 04, 2010 01:49PM
Posted by: SexySam182
I do Engineering Maths at Bristol, we did a Discrete Maths module with Computer Science, I beleive this was the only maths module the Computer Science guys had to do. That module consisted of Logic, Proof, Sets, Relations and Functions, and half of it was Graph Theory (Eulers Theorum etc). I found it by far the easiest module, and it has very little to do with A level maths.

Date: July 04, 2010 05:32PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
mate the maths module in comp science will probably be easy like mine.
All it was for me, was abit of modulus stuff, algorithms and basic aslevel stuff.

if you need further advice about my cs course just pm me.

Date: July 04, 2010 07:26PM
Posted by: Monza972
Ah right. Cheers for the replies. Been swamped with Personal Statement redrafts and conventions for Universities so sorry for the late reply.

If it's AS Maths then it'll be grand for me :D

I can get with it straight away so that isn't a big deal. I had a UCAS convention on Friday where there were a load of universities which outlined their courses and such. Mind you, some were basically useless as they just said, refer to our prospectus when confronted with a question about Computer Science. The only place I got a good answer was from Nottingham where one of the representatives was from Computer Science. Exactly as you guys said, she told me that most Unis and Nottingham themselves will be getting everyone up to scratch with the Maths involved in Computer Science and that Year 1 will be a general course structure for everyone. From Year 2 everyone will separate out. I asked her about the Further Maths module concerning Algorithms and she just said that I don't need to worry about Further Maths or even A-Level Maths for that matter since they don't actually ask for it, but the fact that I have A-Level Maths is a good thing. I'll get researching again then :D

Thanks again for the replies! :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy