I can't open some exe files

Posted by abdelkader 
I can't open some exe files
Date: November 13, 2009 10:42PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hey guys. I have Windows XP installed on my PC.

The problem is that I've been having some problems with opening exe files lately. I mean, exe files which are game launchers work fine, as well as MS Word etc.

I can't for example run Pro Evolution soccer 4 and 6 "settings.exe" file. I click on them and nothing happens. I can't also run 3Dsetup.exe file in my FIFA 99 and FIFA 2002 folders. They worked perfectly before.

Is it a virus or some issue concerning a graphic card or something? I really don't know. Please, help me out if you can. Thanks in advance.

Re: I can't open some exe files
Date: November 13, 2009 11:13PM
Posted by: ralv585
xp is notorious for not letting you play old football games over 5 years old.

what you need to do is go down the shops and buy pro evo 10 or fifa 10.

or you can reinstall them, or replace the exe with a no cd version.

it should take that long to install, those are relatively old games, and wont need more than a gig to install, so you're looking at 5-10min max install time for each.

have you tried running malwarebytes?

that should find anything that's on your pc

Date: November 14, 2009 08:34AM
I meant that I CAN play those games with no problem. The thing is that I'm completely unable to edit their graphical settings as the "settings" exes don't respond. The GAME LAUNCHING exes work FINE.

Anyway, I'll try to follow your advice later, as now I'm preparing for my school, and will inform you whether it helped or not. Thanks for the reply :)

Date: November 14, 2009 11:16AM
don't they have inbuilt graphical settings in the actual game?

yeah, just do a quick re-install and try again, don't forget to back up your saves.

malwarebytes is great for finding anything suspicious on your system

Date: November 15, 2009 09:02PM
Re-installing things didn't help. I think I will have to re-install the system. I haven't done it for ages...maybe this malfunction isn't that bad at all

<EDIT> Yup. I have just re-installed everything from top to bottom and it all works great now. It must have been a virus.

When I wanted to open Nero Express before re-installation it didn't respond, too. It looks as if the virus was disconnecting the particular utilities one by one. Meanwhile it switched my e-mail accont off, disconnected my messenger etc. It's cool to have a cured system now :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 05:48PM by abdelkader.
Date: November 16, 2009 10:42PM
what anti-virus are you using?

stay away from norton and mcafee, use eset nod32 if you can.

never had a single problem, and run malwarebytes once a week, keeps your computer safe :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy