Erasing a partition

Posted by dio69 
Erasing a partition
Date: September 19, 2009 03:38AM
Posted by: dio69
Hi everyone!
I just instaled my windows xp on a created partition, now if i whanted to erase the vista partition the size of the vista partition will go to xp particion righ

btw

how do i set a keybord preset, i mean, por exemple the key for the question mark is now _
im sorry if couldnt get my self cleared but any hel for these 2 questions will be awsome!

Thanks!!
Re: Erasing a partition
Date: September 19, 2009 09:33AM
Posted by: gav
MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!

dio69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone!
> I just instaled my windows xp on a created
> partition, now if i whanted to erase the vista
> partition the size of the vista partition will go
> to xp particion righ

Nope, you'd have to allocate the space to the new partition using a partition tool. GPartEd in a Ubuntu live CD is ideal for this. Boot from the CD and 'Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer', then when it's loaded, go to System, Administration and Partition Editor.

Otherwise, you'll have 2 partitions, one with XP, and the one where Vista was (unless you format that partition).

Chances are, you'll end up with an unbootable system if you format the old partition or reallocate the space to the XP partition, as the existing master boot record will also be erased. To get around that, you'll need to boot from the XP CD, go to the Recovery Console, choose the XP installation and type the following commands when you get to the command prompt...:

fixmbr
fixboot

... and then reboot.
Date: September 19, 2009 09:40AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
how do i set a keybord preset, i mean, por exemple the key for the question mark is now _
im sorry if couldnt get my self cleared but any hel for these 2 questions will be awsome!

Control Panel. Keyboard or Language settings, can't remember which. Been awhile since I used XP. Select UK layout (assuming you are a Brit), set as default, select the incorrect one, delete it. Reboot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 19, 2009 03:24PM
Backup done!

Gav, I've already went to the console and write the fixmbr and fixboot commands and sorry sorry for mt noob question but now what do i do?
It looks like nothing has changed.

DaveEllis thanks i now have a normal keyboard! (btw im portuguese but thats irrelevant), and a new problem is that live msn wont start!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 03:26PM by dio69.
Date: September 19, 2009 04:25PM
Posted by: gav
dio69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Backup done!
>
> Gav, I've already went to the console and write
> the fixmbr and fixboot commands and sorry sorry
> for mt noob question but now what do i do?
> It looks like nothing has changed.

You wipe the existing partition first - the Vista one - then resize the XP partition (as I said, I use GPartEd in Ubuntu), then if necessary run those commands. If XP works fine after you've resized the partition, then you don't need to run those commands. :)
Date: September 19, 2009 06:04PM
Haaaa!
Now i get it!
But i downloaded a diferent program, and he doesn't (or the o.s.) let wipe or erase the vista partition, now my question is, the GPartEd lets me wipe the vista partition?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy