is it possible to jump in junior open wheel without karting experience

Posted by micky-cannonball 
I mean not me!, just curios and with less experience. can a juan manuel fangio carbon copy skill can do that?;)

Please reply

With alot of $$$ certainly ;-)

Karting will teach you basics in racecraft and carsetup, but after karting the closest thing to the same feeling is an F1 car, or so people say.

Driving a slicks 'n wings car is a totally different experience to karting. There are countless people who have struggled in say F3 but excelled in karting, and I guess also the opposite applies.

Karting remains the most pure motorsport, with limited car changes possible making it perfect for spotting driving talent. I for one do not believe without karting experience it would be a very difficult task, maybe not so much the driving quickly, but the race craft, and being able to put in consistant times lap after lap, and being able to adapt to various conditions be it weather or well anything.

SO yes it is very possible, but to be successful? Doubtful. At least some experience at compeition level would be needed.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
SO yes it is very possible, but to be successful? Doubtful.

A lot of racing drivers skip karting. We just don't hear about it because it isn't as fun a story as "omg lewis had the odds against him and his dad had to pay his way through karting" etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
There was a story in the Aus news yesterday how a father was jailed for extortion attempts to pay for his sons racing career in F3, I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Found it. [www.theage.com.au]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 09:37AM by mortal.
Nope. You'll get asploded.

;)

Seriously, yes, you probably could. Then again, here in the States karting is still a whole lot different than across the pond. We're more from trackday/autox stuff into the lower open wheelers if at all.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy