Les Paul 1915 - 2009

Posted by senninho 
Les Paul 1915 - 2009
Date: August 14, 2009 01:13PM
Posted by: senninho
Couldn't see a thread already so i thought i'd start one.

Les Paul, pioneer of the solid-body electric guitar and multi-track recording (amongst other things), died yesterday at the age of 94.

He is one of those rare people whose impact on the music industry really cannot be understated. True to his roots, he played a blues night every monday in New York up until this year, despite his advancing years and the use of only two fingers on his fretting hand.

RIP.

Re: Les Paul 1915 - 2009
Date: August 14, 2009 01:25PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
May he Rest With Lots Of Rock... None of this peace stuff for Les Paul =D

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: August 14, 2009 01:34PM
Posted by: Monza972
Just heard about him. Such an iconic guitar and a person. As Matt said; May he rest with lots of Rock around him
Date: August 14, 2009 02:44PM
Posted by: The Lopper
He will of course be forever aptly remembered by the guitar that is named for him, probably the king of guitars.

Rocking out on one of the afore-mentioned Gibson Les Pauls, at the sprightly age of 93. Truly legend. Rock on Les.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 02:45PM by The Lopper.
Date: August 14, 2009 05:41PM
Posted by: EC83
I saw a great documentary on his life, with considerable input from Les Paul himself, on BBC4 a year or so back. It was fascinating to hear about his early years and generally to hear what an interesting life he'd led. He truly was a legend in his own lifetime.

Massive respect Les, and rock on.

Date: August 14, 2009 07:30PM
Posted by: abdelkader
When I was to prepare a project on American music of 20th century for my school two years from now, to everybody's surprise, instead of talking only about bands I started off with talking about Mr Les Paul and his achievements...Afterwards, I was told by my schoolmates that I shouldn't have done it as the project should concern ONLY the bands and the music and that it was kinda boring to them...Stupid suckers!!! Can't they understand that if it hadn't been for Les Paul (and Leo Fender of course), we wouldn't have had American music of 20th century at all???

Now I know that I did the right thing when mentioning Mr Les Paul that day.

Besides, I own a Les Paul guitar and I love its deep sound. Just like to rev a Porsche engine up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 07:34PM by abdelkader.
Date: August 14, 2009 10:20PM
Posted by: Muks_C
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a great documentary on his life, with
> considerable input from Les Paul himself, on BBC4
> a year or so back. It was fascinating to hear
> about his early years and generally to hear what
> an interesting life he'd led. He truly was a
> legend in his own lifetime.
>
> Massive respect Les, and rock on.

I saw that too, i never really knew much about him before that, apart from just knowing his name associated with Gibson and him inventing the solid-body. was a good documentary telling all about his early life as a writer-performer-musician with his wife and how he actually came up with the concept for his guitar.

as Senninho said, his impact on the world of music can't be measured, it was just too great.

and his passion for music and performing lasted till his last days i bet.

edit: the docu was called "Chasing Sound", and here's a small clip from it:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 10:23PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 14, 2009 11:30PM
Posted by: Vader
Godspeed bro. On the 8th day God created Rock'n'Roll.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy