Computer Problems

Posted by FRESCO 
Computer Problems
Date: August 06, 2009 11:57PM
Posted by: FRESCO
Hey all,

Yesterday morning I went to turn on my computer and found its not working. Everything switched on ok, but no picture on the screen. Had a high pitched noise, which I'm almost certain was the graphics card fan spinning at 100%. Anyway, took the case off and how a look around. After some trial and error I switched the VGA cable to the onboard grapgics card outlet and suddenly I can use my computer again.

Thinking the graphics card was knackered (I had an 8800GT) I went out and bought a new one (9600GT). Trouble is I've fitted it and the original problem has returned, only allowing me to use the onboard graphics card (nvidia 6100 lol). The whirring sounds is back so once again the fan is spinning (well i think the fan anyway) so the graphics card is clearly getting power.

I've tried other things like resitting the RAM but to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Computer Problems
Date: August 07, 2009 12:14AM
Posted by: Guimengo
NOWHERE NEAR being knowledgeable, but what about heat sink?
Date: August 07, 2009 12:27AM
Well I must be even less knowledgeable than you, what is the heat sink??

Date: August 07, 2009 01:10AM
Posted by: Naboo
waa waa waaaaaa

On a more serious note, i am no expert either but it would most probably be a defective memory unit, new RAM would be my suggestion but like i said, im no expert.

wait for Gav to give his opinion first methinks, im starting to gather that he is the resident computer guy

"Arguing on the internet is like taking part in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you're still retarded"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 01:14AM by Naboo.
Date: August 07, 2009 02:55AM
Posted by: mortal
1. Take one stick of ram out and test, the try again with the other.
2. Wait for Gav aka our resident forum Guru. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 07, 2009 09:21AM
Ok will do that when I get home tonight :)

My PC is still reading 3GB of RAM (well 2.96), would it still do this despite a faulty stick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 09:21AM by FRESCO.
Date: August 07, 2009 11:43AM
Posted by: The Lopper
When is Gav getting his own forum, mortal? He's awesome. He should have his own website.
Date: August 07, 2009 11:56AM
Posted by: mortal
This is Gav's forum. ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 07, 2009 12:08PM
Posted by: gav
I'd guess the power supply unit myself. That it works with the onboard graphics, but not the discreet graphics makes me guess that there's simply not enough juice coming through (PSUs do degrade, especially ones which are used near their limit all the time).

Other than that, it's not something simple, such as the graphics card not being pushed fully into the slot, is it?

Is there another slot (presumably your cards are PCI Express) you could try the cards in?

It's unlikely both graphics cards are faulty. If you have a mate with a similar or better system they might let you test your card in that?

The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When is Gav getting his own forum, mortal? He's
> awesome. He should have his own website.

Sod off, that would suggest I need to reply to every thread. :P
Date: August 07, 2009 07:13PM
Ok well my PSU is a corsair VX450. I know it was perhaps marginal for the 8800gt, but am I right in saying the 9600GT requires less power anyway?

I should add, once the 9600GT was fitted it did work briefly but only once (after being resat). When I put the cover back on again and plugged it all in it wouldn't work again. I have reseated the card several times and cannot honestly see that being the problem.

Is there anyway I can monitor the PSU to see if it is indeed down on power?

Date: August 07, 2009 07:43PM
Nah, unless you're running a monster of a system otherwise, then the PSU is more than adequate.

They say 450W is marginal as most PSUs that people choose are very poor to average (the cheapest they can find). The Corsair is fine though.

You don't have a mate whose system you could test one of your cards in?
Date: August 07, 2009 09:07PM
Posted by: Willb
Did you try removing one stick of ram, testing, then the other?
For now just try leaving one stick in while we figure out what the problem is. As you have had the same issue with both cards and the PSU appears to be ok (I wouldnt't rule this out just yet, we could really use another psu to test with?). I myself am thinking possibly a motherboard bus/controller issue but see if you can try another psu first (most vga cards will beep if they can't draw enough power at POST).

Keep trying, and post any developments :)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 08, 2009 12:41AM
Tried removing and testing without the RAM sticks, no luck there.

Also tried reseating it several more times, it started working once. Switched PC off though, and again not working.

Sadly I do not have another PSU to try and all my mates either have laptops or ancient PCs (they are all students) so can't really test the graphics cards anywhere else.

Any more suggestions? Thanks for help so far.

Date: August 08, 2009 10:39AM
Will the shop allow you to return the new card to see if it's working? I suspect it is, but it would be good to rule it out.
Date: August 08, 2009 11:02AM
Found my old 7600GS (thought I'd chucked it) going to put that in see what happens.

EDIT - Still no luck, bearing in mind this is a card I know worked when I took it out, is it now to safe to rule out that all three of them are faulty?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 11:27AM by FRESCO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy