Going wireless, what exactly do I need?

Posted by mortal 
Going wireless, what exactly do I need?
Date: June 19, 2009 01:35PM
Posted by: mortal
I have an adsl connection, and three computers, they are connected with network cable to a netgear 4 port adsl modem router.
I want to move two of the computers to a new room in the house, the closest phone line point is in an adjoining room. I'd like to put a wireless modem next to the phone and have the comps on wireless in the next room. I need wireless cards for the comps, a card for the laptop, it's a BenQ Joybook, and a wireless modem. Recommendations on gear? I've looked on ebay and I have a Netgear modem now. Really not sure what I should be looking for, all the numbers are confusing. TIA.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Going wireless, what exactly do I need?
Date: June 19, 2009 03:14PM
Posted by: Vader
I know what you don't need when going wireless: a wire.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 19, 2009 04:47PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Mortal, NetGear and LinkSys both work well, from experience. LinkSys was a Wireless-G 54 something. With the LinkSys one I've had issue with getting online games to show up on servers though, just so you know.

Wireless-G:

Netgear DG834G:

Date: June 20, 2009 01:28PM
Posted by: Gigi4
i'm not so exper but i would go for linksys as we have one at school and it is useb by more than 30 pcs without problem

Date: June 20, 2009 04:43PM
Posted by: mcdo
You need a very good grip on the pricing first. I hear Poseidon useage adventures every working day.
Date: June 20, 2009 07:43PM
Posted by: Willb
Stay away from (cheaper) Netgear and Belikin if you can, Linksys are always fairly good (especially if you can get one that you can run openWRT on :))

Also mortal, if its a desktop youll need a USB or some other sort of wireless adapter (unless you have one already).

If it's a laptop with built in wi-fi support then obviously there won't be any issues ;)

Also, try and try for draf n, or n(not sure if n is actually finalised and out yet, everyone feel free to but in here?) on both the router and receiver side of the connection, makes for much less painful file transfers!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: June 20, 2009 09:11PM
Posted by: Monza972
Willb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stay away from (cheaper) Netgear and Belikin if
> you can, Linksys are always fairly good
> (especially if you can get one that you can run
> openWRT on :))
>
> Also mortal, if its a desktop youll need a USB or
> some other sort of wireless adapter (unless you
> have one already).
>
> If it's a laptop with built in wi-fi support then
> obviously there won't be any issues ;)
>
> Also, try and try for draf n, or n(not sure if n
> is actually finalised and out yet, everyone feel
> free to but in here?) on both the router and
> receiver side of the connection, makes for much
> less painful file transfers!

Yeah, agree with Will on this one. It's better to get routers which have the N facility on them compared to the others such as G or G+. The amount of file transfer speed on the N is way quicker than the Gs.
Date: June 20, 2009 09:35PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Belkin are horrible for routers. The only Netgear one I've had has been absolutely rock-solid, up for months at a time. The Belkin I had needed rebooting every couple of days.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 21, 2009 12:30AM
Looked at this, currently a shade under A$100 on ebay. Still trying to source two compatible cards.
[www.netgear.com.au]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 22, 2009 09:20AM
Looking at two of these, anyone know if they are the right ones?
[cgi.ebay.com.au]

Date: June 22, 2009 11:22AM
@turkey: it's not stability that was the issue with our shitty netgear wrg416v9 (virgin media standard) the DNS kept failing, was pissing annoying. Mal, is the net gear router you found quad band? (havnt looked myself in detail) but depending on what you use the comps for quad band can be very nice (if a little ott in this case)

Date: June 22, 2009 11:48AM
Here's the gobbledegook:
* IEEE802.11n draft specification, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b, 2.4 GHz
* WAN (ADSL): ITU 992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A, ITU 992.2 (G.lite), ITU 992.3 ADSL2 (G.dmt.bis), ITU 992.5 ADSL2+

It's a Netgear Rangemax adsl 2+ modem/router. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to get a signal in the garage on the laptop, not that it's that important anyway to be able to do that. I haven't even looked at a pcmia card yet. If I buy the gear now, I wont be setting it up for a few weeks anyway, the room isn't even plastered, painted and interior fixed yet. I only just did the electrical wiring for the lights and power points today. Tomorrow I'll get the tv coax in. The idea is to have the modem in the next room by the phone. Doing it that way, I wont have to re-route the network cables that are under the house, I can just leave them there.

Date: June 22, 2009 01:24PM
Posted by: casabonka
I've had my Belkin 54G for about 2 1/2 years so far, and I gotta say for a cheapie it seems to be doing the job. FOr our crappy connections in Aus anyway.

I have my Wii, PS3 and PC always connected, and my PSP and iphone have no issues connecting to it

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: June 24, 2009 10:47AM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the gobbledegook:
> * IEEE802.11n draft specification, IEEE
> 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b, 2.4 GHz
> * WAN (ADSL): ITU 992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A, ITU
> 992.2 (G.lite), ITU 992.3 ADSL2 (G.dmt.bis), ITU
> 992.5 ADSL2+
>
> It's a Netgear Rangemax adsl 2+ modem/router. With
> a bit of luck, I'll be able to get a signal in the
> garage on the laptop, not that it's that important
> anyway to be able to do that. I haven't even
> looked at a pcmia card yet. If I buy the gear now,
> I wont be setting it up for a few weeks anyway,
> the room isn't even plastered, painted and
> interior fixed yet. I only just did the electrical
> wiring for the lights and power points today.
> Tomorrow I'll get the tv coax in. The idea is to
> have the modem in the next room by the phone.
> Doing it that way, I wont have to re-route the
> network cables that are under the house, I can
> just leave them there.

"IEEE802.11n draft specification" - Thats the good stuff ;-), That's your draft n. Another thing to check would be if that router supports gigabit ethernet connections (if this will be of interest to you), and we want pics of the new Decor ;)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 10:54AM by Willb.
Date: June 24, 2009 10:58AM
I haven't even got the plaster board delivered, that arrives next Tuesday. The outside is finished though, and I've done all the wiring, except for the tv coax. It will take me a while to do the plastering, then there's the architraves and the skirting boards, then the painting. Never ending story lol. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy