A question to English native speakers

Posted by abdelkader 
A question to English native speakers
Date: March 06, 2009 07:30AM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hi. During my studies I was asked to translate a short text from English to Polish. It was quite a cool thing but I have one thing which I don't understand, namely the noun: 'a numbers boy' . I put this in Google but there were no matching results...Who the hell is a numbers boy? A stockbroker, a financier or something? Does such expression exist in English anyway? Maybe it's a coloquial word particular for a certain slang? Really have no idea. Hope you can help me out.

"An interpreter has to think as fast as a numbers boy in a coloured jacket buying financial futures"

Re: A question to English native speakers
Date: March 06, 2009 07:43AM
Posted by: chrislewis
Never heard of the term "numbers boy" but in the case above a more correct term would be, broker, trader or scalper.

Date: March 06, 2009 09:56AM
Posted by: mortal
A numbers boy in a coloured jacket is a floor trader working in a stock exchange. Stock market trader is the term you are looking for.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 06, 2009 01:08PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Thank you very much :) Now I see that my guesses were quite close.

Date: March 07, 2009 12:14AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
more literally, he's the kid that would be on the chalkboard of stock exchanges of old, having everyone yelling at him and making weird hand signals
Date: March 07, 2009 09:02AM
Posted by: gav
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> more literally, he's the kid that would be on the
> chalkboard of stock exchanges of old, having
> everyone yelling at him and making weird hand
> signals

Not just stock exchanges of old. Brokers are still having hand signals directed at them on a frequent basis. ;-)
Date: March 07, 2009 03:41PM
Posted by: sasjag
*applauds*

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy