Wireless Help - Laptop

Posted by Guimengo 
Wireless Help - Laptop
Date: July 20, 2008 09:20PM
Posted by: Guimengo
As the title says, I've got some issues here. My wireless simply doesn't seem to work. I have a dell vostro 1700 (Vista 32 bit Business) with a 1490 dell wireless card. I flick the switch on the laptop but there's not even a light flashing. When I get to check for networks it says it can't find any and says I have an issue with my wireless (duh). The thing is, I have done absolutely NOTHING to change a thing. Dell still hasn't got back to me, but I am leaving to Brazil on Tuesday and I don't trust them to take care of it by then either. Once I get back I am definitely going after them in a much harsher way.
Re: Wireless Help - Laptop
Date: July 20, 2008 09:29PM
Posted by: gav
Is the light on the laptop lit (under the monitor)? Have you tried turning it on via the keyboard shortcut? Which drivers do you have installed?
Date: July 21, 2008 04:09AM
the 1490 minicard: driver 4.170.25.17 (10/12/2007)
There are a few lights to the top right of the keyboard, the bluetooth and wifi icons are both lit, but the light by the wireless signal switch is off. Even when I pull and hold it I get nothing, I see the loading circle on the mouse pointer but that's it, nothing loads.
Regarding keyboard shortcut, I don't see any here, neither a regular button or a function+something
Date: July 21, 2008 02:24PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
On my Dell Inspiron 1501, it's Fn+F2, that's sufficient to switch it on and attempt to find the nearest wireless connection. Yours is royally f**ked by the sounds of things.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 22, 2008 09:21AM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even when I pull and hold it I get nothing

Dude... we're trying to help you with your computer problems...

Seriously... try what was recommended with the keyboard shortcuts as we've both said, and see what happens. Reinstall drivers again perhaps.
Date: July 22, 2008 01:38PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
uninstall the wireless card drivers in the device manager... reboot...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: July 22, 2008 06:59PM
Gav, I would press the keyboard thing if it was there :p. There's a switch to the bottom left of the keyboard, off the side of the laptop where I am supposed to pull to see the wireless networks available. You know I appreciate all the help!
I went on the device manager and uninstalled every bit related to wireless or bluetooth, then did the scan for hardware changes. I don't know what's going on, I might make Dell send a replacement if that's the case since they still haven't responded, I only got the automated reply saying they received my message :(.
Date: July 22, 2008 09:50PM
That's just a software thing Gui. I've got one on my XPS and I couldn't even tell you if it worked or not. :P

I expect they'll ask you to restore your laptop back to factory settings first, as there's nothing to suggest your wireless has a hardware problem. Generally if it doesn't work, it won't install fully.
Date: July 22, 2008 11:02PM
Well it just decided to work.... I am at the airport and I have no idea what's going on. I guess since it couldn't find a wire(full) connection it decided to not mess up and load. I am confused :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy