Laptop problem

Posted by IL Dottore 
Laptop problem
Date: January 28, 2008 08:28PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
Since a few days my sisters laptop doesnt start up..

I see the loading bar.. and when its finished it goes black.. but stays on and nothing happends..
Its Vista basic..

Any solutions ?

Magic Senna
Re: Laptop problem
Date: January 28, 2008 08:33PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
nothing on screen? i guess the only solution is too have to look around for some settings in the bios

Date: January 28, 2008 08:34PM
Posted by: gav
Restore disk/reinstall? Sounds software (presumably driver) related rather than a hardware issue, though it could have been caused by any number of hardware problems.

Does the hard-drive activity LED continue to flash for a while after the screen goes dark?

Can you hook up a monitor to the VGA-out port (or DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort port) if it has one? Can't think of any reason why a resolution can't be displayed on a laptop as the drivers should limit it to the specs of the screen, but it might eliminate that anyway.

DJSKYLINE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nothing on screen? i guess the only solution is
> too have to look around for some settings in the
> bios

Can't think of anything in any BIOS that would cause a PC to fail at that point regularly. Closest you'd get would be changing the hard drive from ACHI to IDE emulation mode, which would stop the OS loading, but would cause a brief blue screen followed by an almost immediate automatic restart of the PC (unless automatic restarts was disabled of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 08:37PM by gav.
Date: January 28, 2008 10:45PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
This might sound bloody daft, but can you move the mouse / touchpad, or tap a couple keys to see if the screen comes back? My laptop does it from time to time after coming out of hibernation. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 28, 2008 10:54PM
Posted by: Guimengo
My older Dell laptop sometimes keeps the black screen and doesn't come back from hibernation, I have to restart it. Happened a couple of times on start up too, but it must be its advanced age of 4 1/2 years.
Date: January 29, 2008 03:13AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This might sound bloody daft, but can you move the
> mouse / touchpad, or tap a couple keys to see if
> the screen comes back? My laptop does it from time
> to time after coming out of hibernation. :)

that would be good if it were already in windows ;) and not trying to be booted up!

Date: January 29, 2008 10:16AM
It asked for a boot recovery.. But I left it running the whole night and this morning it still wasnt finished..
Lets hope I can get the back-up on it.. As i dont have any software with it.. :(

I could try to hook up my monitor on it..

Thanks for the info..

Magic Senna
Date: January 29, 2008 10:49AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
try last known good config from f8 start menu, alternatively try the /sos switch to see if any driver casuing probs.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: January 29, 2008 11:05AM
sos switch ?

Magic Senna
Date: January 29, 2008 03:14PM
[support.microsoft.com]

But it should never get to that point on any hardware say, post-SP1, and certainly not a laptop. It shouldn't even be a driver causing this, as they're initialised before that stage.

Still worth a go though. Of course, changing the boot.ini file without a display is going to be fun. You'll need to use the Recovery Console, and you need a Windows disk for that.
Date: January 29, 2008 04:24PM
Well I think I am just gonna recover it from the backup I made..

There isnt to much import stuff on that laptop..

Magic Senna
Date: January 30, 2008 06:43AM
It doesnt start up the backup, And even the Toshiba recovery disk doesnt work :S

Magic Senna
Date: January 30, 2008 10:26AM
Check the BIOS boot-up sequence and make sure that the backup medium is before the laptop's HDD.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: January 30, 2008 01:00PM
yeah i know.. but it doesnt work :S

Magic Senna
Date: January 30, 2008 01:01PM
Is the backup fudged?

Date: January 30, 2008 01:08PM
A bit of information on what's happening when these things fail may help.
Date: January 30, 2008 01:17PM
Well for the back-up disk.. It says fail to read it..

Then I tried the Recory disk from toshiba. it started up, selected to reinstall the orginal software.. It starts deleting his paths.. But when it actualy should start, it stopped doing anything..
It said something but I am not able to see it atm..

Magic Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy