Wish me luck...

Posted by senninho 
Wish me luck...
Date: April 23, 2007 09:42AM
Posted by: senninho
...for tomorrow, as i'll be taking part in the first round of the Uniroyal Funcup Scholarship at Croft.

Some of you older lot may remember that i took part in a similar competition in 2003, and got through to the semi final. Since then, i've acquired a driving licence, so i'll be hoping to go one step (or preferably two) further this time :)

Really looking forward to it. What i'm not looking forward to is the 5-hour trip there!

I'll report back on wednesday :)

Re: Wish me luck...
Date: April 23, 2007 09:46AM
Posted by: Glyn
Good luck! :)

Date: April 23, 2007 10:25AM
Posted by: gav
Good luck!

As for the journey, feel for the rest of us who do live up here and have to travel south ;)
Date: April 23, 2007 10:28AM
Posted by: gary42
Good luck mate, might have to pop down and watch if they're throwing the doors open...

Date: April 23, 2007 10:58AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
good luck mate :)
Date: April 23, 2007 12:28PM
Posted by: chet
Good Luck :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 23, 2007 01:47PM
Posted by: anze89
good luck!

Date: April 23, 2007 02:20PM
Posted by: Damas
Best of luck. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted on how you get on!
Date: April 23, 2007 02:41PM
Thanks guys - just about to leave for the (long) drive up there. I'll post again tomorrow night to let you know how it went :)

Date: April 23, 2007 07:31PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
5 hours isnt long mate. its a walk in the park.

takes me 3 days to get to the closest capital city, and i have co-driven it ;)

and good luck!!

Date: April 24, 2007 12:35AM
Posted by: Willb
That'll teach you for living in no mans land!

"takes me 3 days to get to the closest capital city,"

How many do you have :|

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: April 24, 2007 09:38AM
one for each state.

thats 7... i think lol

Date: April 25, 2007 09:43AM
Well, i'm back. Sorry i didn't post yesterday - was absolutely cream crackered.

The day started off a little badly when the satnav i'd borrowed insisted that the farm it had directed me to was Croft. This was soon rectified by ignoring it, and i was there on time.

In all, there were 20 of us there. Once we were signed in, and had had a briefing, they packed us into 5 road cars and showed us the track. The cars were (in ascending order of unsportiness:

- Vauxhall Astra 1.6.
- Peugeot 207.
- Kia Magentis (x2).
- Kia Picanto.

Hardly the fastest things ever to hit the track, but we were promised free rein to thrash them, the only condition being that if we spun, we were out.

At that point, we were split up into two groups. The first group had their track sessions, and my group had an autotest session in a Caterham Roadsport. The cours was a slalom, a spin (literally) around a single cone, a stop gate, another slalom, and a finish gate. I'd like to say i did well in this, but I managed to fluff the spinning around both times, and took a time penalty on the second run for making the car eat a cone.

After that, we sat around on the pit wall for an hour while the other group finished, then had lunch.

After lunch, it was our turn to go on track. We were split into twos, and given an instructor and car. I got the Astra, and my instructor was Paul Swift - son of Russ "Rover Display Team" Swift and professional display driver himself - a damn good coach and a top guy to boot.

We were given three 15-minute sessions to throw the car around the track and show our stuff, with constant feedback from the instructor. This was great fun, and Croft is a good track to do it on. At the end of the second session, Paul was massaging my ego in a major way - telling me i was 'already through' to the next round, and introducing me to another instructor as 'the little superstar'. How much of it was joking, i don't know, but it didn't exactly knock my confidence. The only thing i needed to work on was a tendancy to 'go for tenths that aren't there.'

After the 15-minute sessions, we had an assessment - one out lap, and two assessed fast laps. These went ok - Paul's only criticism was that i was 100% committed, but he asked for 90%. Tbh, i thought i was giving 90%, but that would explain why me driving at my version of 100% was resulting in mistakes.

After the track time ended, they took us back into the briefing room and thanked us all for coming, and basically said that we'd be hearing back from them within 2 weeks - fingers crossed, then!

Oh, and thanks to everyone that added words of support - sounds cliched, but it really did help to know that people wished me well :)

Date: April 25, 2007 10:23AM
Posted by: gav
Sounds like you did really well! Sounds like damn good fun, if a bit nervy... especially nervy that it'll take 2 weeks to know whether you'd cocked it up!
Date: April 25, 2007 10:50AM
Posted by: chet
wow, sounds like a blast, I saw the advert in Autosport.

Hope it goes well :D:D!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 25, 2007 10:53AM
Wow man, that sounds like alot of fun. i have my fingers crossed for you ;)

Date: April 25, 2007 03:24PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
aye mate sounds like u had a blast :D hope ya go through :D
Date: April 26, 2007 09:17AM
Thanks again for the kind words. The other first round was yesterday, so it's now just a case of waiting. I'll let you guys know as soon as i hear from them :)

Date: April 26, 2007 09:50AM
Posted by: gareth
@ Neil - where the hell do you live to be three days from (I'm guessing) Perth?????

@ senninho - that looks and sounds like awesome fun!! hope you've made it through!
Date: April 26, 2007 10:30AM
gareth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ Neil - where the hell do you live to be three
> days from (I'm guessing) Perth?????

Perth to adeliade is 3 days :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy