How can I take screenshots from old, DOS games?

Posted by abdelkader 
How can I take screenshots from old, DOS games?
Date: August 24, 2007 03:40PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Just like in the topic. I noticed that some games originally written for DOS support taking screenshots and some don't. Is there a way to make this possible to all games in the world?

Hope you know the answer :)

Re: How can I take screenshots from old, DOS games?
Date: August 24, 2007 03:53PM
Posted by: mortal
I think Fraps does it, there's a few screenshot apps, just make sure your hot-key is not used in the DOS app.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 24, 2007 10:42PM
I downloaded Fraps but this application seems to be slightly strange. It opens, I choose the folder in which screenshots are stored, then I check hotkeys. I enter a game I click my hotkey but nothing happens. When I quit and go to check the screenshots, they are just not there. I tried to make screenshots of my desktop, as well... No success though. Does Fraps work at all? :(

I also tried Hyper Snap...with no success.

Anyway, thanks for help. Maybe I am doing something wrong... If I am, please inform me :)
Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2007 10:44PM by abdelkader.
Date: August 24, 2007 11:16PM
Posted by: gav
Yes, but it requires a DirectX overlay. It doesn't do 2D work (and DOS/DOS emulators are 2D). It won't do desktop captures and it won't do what you're asking it, unfortunately.
Date: August 24, 2007 11:24PM
Posted by: tux
I'm assuming your running it in something like dosbox. so why not just take a screenshot like you normally would?

Date: August 24, 2007 11:38PM
The game I'm trying to take screenshots from (what I find pretty, pretty strange) works without any tools, even with sounds. When I run it in Dosbox, the game won't load. The game is UEFA Champions League 96/97. I tried to do this in the way I normally do, but it doesn't work. That's why I decided trying some "screenshot taking" applications.

On the Internet I see whole lotta screens taken from very ,very old games. I know it IS possible but I don't know how. Maybe there are some better utilities?

Date: August 24, 2007 11:45PM
tux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm assuming your running it in something like
> dosbox. so why not just take a screenshot like you
> normally would?

O.K. guys. Thanks for your kindness. I have just managed to crack this open :)

@tux
Being encouraged by your comment, I decided to run the game in DosBox for the last time. If it had failed to run ,I would not have run it anymore...BUT IT DID. Now I can make screenshots in the way you said.

MY PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE!

You probably can do it in hypersnap if you fiddle around with the different settings / types of capture.

Fraps is a bit poo though from what I found at least. Hypersnap seemed good.

H E L L O
Date: August 25, 2007 01:21AM
I'll try to work with Hypersnap on some occasion...

As I previously said. I have managed to solve my problem and everything's fine now. :)

Thanks for all your assistance, again. Thanks a lot

Date: August 25, 2007 02:15AM
Posted by: gin
Prinst button? o_0
Scrn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy