New Computer

Posted by Rob_BCFC 
New Computer
Date: June 05, 2007 02:26PM
Posted by: Rob_BCFC
Ok I'm planning on building myself a new computer so I can actually play Grand Prix 4 without crappy toned down graphics lol. I already have the basics (i.e. keyboard, mouse, monitor etc), I just need the base unit. I was just wandering if anyone could go through this and tell me if I'm getting ripped off, and that everything is compatible.

Motherboard: Asus P5B-Plus Vista Edition
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
Memory: Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 2gb stick (£95)
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon X1950Pro 256mb

Also I have a few questions:

Will I have to buy a fan for this, or will the fans inside do?
I already have a case (it's pretty big). The parts should fit in shouldn't they? Or does it change depending on manufacturer.
What kind of power supply am I looking at getting, and how much would it cost roughly?
Any recommendations for cheap(ish) sound cards?

Sorry long post.

Would be very grateful if you could help.

Cheers

Rob

EDIT: Sorry forgot to say. I already have a DVD R/W drive and Hard drive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 03:09PM by Rob_BCFC.
Re: New Computer
Date: June 05, 2007 02:50PM
Posted by: Joeku
hey
well my advice would be one check that ram, 2400 sounds extremily low
and looks like its for an old system
you want atleast 667mhz or 800mhz (ram clock speed)

the fan will be fine i bought a core2duo 6420 and overclocked it to 2.7ghz with the stock fan and it runs at 35 degrees 55 at full load and im in oz. SO stock fan will be just fine

your graphics card will be holding you back majorly
if you have the cash fork out for a 8800 if not go for a 7900gs i reckon they will be dirt cheap in the UK.
****EDIT****
completely ignore my comment about the gfx card i thought it was an old radeon for some reason that card will be fine i however would still go with 8800

For the soundcard i would use onbard sound my abit ab9 pro (cheap motherboard good for OC'ing) has hi def onboard sound its good enough.

As long as the case is ATX it should fit the motherboard to be on the safe side i would get a 500watt PSU
i bought my case with a psu for $100 thats about 40 quid

so basically check the ram and the gfx card is holding you back, dont forget you need a hard drive and dvd player and perhaps a network card but most motherboards have onboard

hope i helped
anymore quesitons jsut ask

________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 02:52PM by Joeku.
Date: June 05, 2007 03:00PM
Fantastic thank you!

Also, I have just been on Crucial and it says this:

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs.

What does this mean?

EDIT: Sorry got that RAM wrong. It wasn't PC2-2400. It's PC2-5300.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 03:14PM by Rob_BCFC.
Date: June 05, 2007 03:31PM
Posted by: danm
pairs means you run memory in pairs of the same, it is called dual channel.

ie, you get two matching pairs of the same ram and they are placed in the two blue ram slots in the moboo to run in dual channel mode.

this is opposed to running one stick on the ram in what is called single channel mode.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 05, 2007 03:51PM
Posted by: gav
1) The CPU and graphics card have their own fans, which will be more than fine for all-but overclocking. You'll ideally want some in the case too though, and that depends entirely on which case you're using.
2) You'll need to make sure your current case is ATX and not MicroATX (or some other non-standard size). For instance, if it's a Dell, the chances are you'll be stuffed, as most of their cases don't use the normal sizes and specifications of ATX. If it is only MicroATX let me know and we'll spec another motherboard up. :)
3) If you've only a couple of hard drives then I'd recommend this, which is ridiculously over-priced at Komplett, but if you're in the UK, then you can get it here for £20 less. If you want something a bit beefier, or you'll be upgrading to a higher-spec graphics card in the near future (1 to 1 1/2 years), then I'd grab this, again £10 cheaper than at Komplett. Don't, under any circumstances, get a cheapy PSU. It will come back to haunt you at some point.
4) Just use the onboard sound - it will be fine for 98% of tasks. If you must get a dedicated sound card, then it's given how good onboard sound is now, you're not looking at a cheap one. Probably £50 for the first step up from the onboard.

Just some notes on the other bits you've already specced. The motherboard is absolutely fine, though if you're not overclocking, then this will do the job just as well (£6 cheaper at Scan). If you do intend overclocking then personally I'd grab this, based on the new Intel P35 chipset, which is excellent by all accounts. Unfortunately, the equivalent ASUS board is £40 more (and has just gone out of stock). It is apparently a really stunning board though. If you do go P35, make sure you don't get the DDR3 board (P35 can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory). Also if overclocking, then grab this cooler for a half decent overclock (2.8-3.1GHz or so). It's excellent value for money.

The CPU too is fine (I have the same), but if you don't do much media work (where the extra cache, the only thing missing, makes the most difference) you could save some cash by getting the E4400 or even the E4300 for a few pennies less. All include the same retail fan, all are very quick (chances are you'll never notice to the difference to an E6600 without testing), and all have a high multiplier, so for basic overclocking, all you'll need to do is raise the Front Side Bus (FSB) and it'll be as faster than any Core2Duo (the X6800 included).

That RAM is horrifically poor. I didn't even know you could get PC 2400 RAM. It's also ludicrously expensive, compared to where RAM is at the moment. I'd grab this, which is excellent. Team is a relatively new player, but they are reliable and have frankly excellent value products. If you aren't buying everything now, then make sure you get the RAM now or very, very soon. Prices are starting to go back up again, and if they reach the levels they were at (more than double what they are now), you've lost a lot of cash needlessly.

Graphics card is fine too. If you're gaming on anything at around or under 1280x1024 it's a good choice at the moment. Just make sure you get the PCI-express version and not the AGP (some do fall into this trap, so it's best to point it out). Again, Scan have them slightly cheaper - standard here, the one with video-capturing ability here and there's a Sapphire with the excellent VF900 cooler here, without the video capture, though it doesn't mention if the cooler is fitted or just included for you to fit (I'd ignore the picture and be shocked if it wasn't ready-fitted).

//edit: I'm at work, and this post was compiled slowly, so others have replied since. I would still get the X1950Pro over a 8800GTS. The GTS isn't that much faster, and is poor value in comparison (especially the 640mb one). The Crucial RAM, if it's PC2 5300, would be fine, but it's still nearly double the price it need be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 03:54PM by gav.
Date: June 05, 2007 04:02PM
Posted by: NickKK
I just bough some new barebones but had to go with a Gigabyte mobo instead of the Asus (prefer Asus these days) P5b because my RAM needs 2.3V (Corsair dominator thingy) and the P5b only gives 2.1.
I think you're paying a tad too much for your ram if it's the BT-3 Micron ram, otherwise 'tis good (no way to tell really until you get it).
Gfx card is great, to get anything better you would need to get a 8800 gts which is a shade under 200 retail (I think) and even then it's not much faster so good choice, I went with the 8600 gts because I don't play games much but might need DX10 someday.
And the CPU is imo the best deal out there, I've been a AMD fanboy for ages repeating like a parrot that Intels cost too much but this baby goes to over 3Ghz on stock cooling and it costs the same as far worse performing AMDs, the 6700 is too costly for little benefit, same goes for the extremes and quads.
If you want a quiet system I would go with a custom cpu heatsink like a zalman 7700 (a monster no less!)
As for a power supply at least 450W probably more for an overhead, personally recommend Tagan - high quality and well thought out (cheaper than Enermaxes and just as good) I've got a 480W Tagan and will probably be able to tell you how my new system runs in a day or so.
Sound card, I would go with an Audigy 2ZS if you can find it retail, if not get one on Ebay they are pretty resilient cards, not like a Gfx or whatever. Consider sticking with onboard sound though - I would never go back to onboard after getting a 2ZS but that's mostly because I have descent speakers and keep high bitrate music (DTS when I can find some :D )

Date: June 05, 2007 04:46PM
Thanks a lot guys, that's really useful.
Date: June 05, 2007 05:12PM
NickKK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you're paying a tad too much for your ram
> if it's the BT-3 Micron ram, otherwise 'tis good
> (no way to tell really until you get it).

You should be able to get the D9 Micron (the best memory out there by quite a long way) for a bit cheaper. The Crucial Ballistix 2GB PC2-5300 uses D9 and can be had for £80 from Crucial directly (delivery is free).

NickKK Wrote:
> And the CPU is imo the best deal out there, I've
> been a AMD fanboy for ages repeating like a parrot
> that Intels cost too much but this baby goes to
> over 3Ghz on stock cooling and it costs the same
> as far worse performing AMDs, the 6700 is too
> costly for little benefit, same goes for the
> extremes and quads.

The E4300 and E4400 will reach roughly the same speeds (easily 3GHz+ with the same cooling as any E6600), it just has half the cache, which only really hurts when encoding video or audio. It's certainly better value at half the price.

NickKK Wrote:
> If you want a quiet system I would go with a
> custom cpu heatsink like a zalman 7700 (a monster
> no less!)

Zalman's are good (the copper ones anyway) - cheaper than I thought too. The CNPS9500 and CNPS9700 are much better than the 7700s though, but do cost nearly double... I don't know which I'd take between the Freezer 7 Pro and the CNPS7700. Both are better and quieter than the stock cooler of course.

NickKK Wrote:
> As for a power supply at least 450W probably more
> for an overhead, personally recommend Tagan - high
> quality and well thought out (cheaper than
> Enermaxes and just as good) I've got a 480W Tagan
> and will probably be able to tell you how my new
> system runs in a day or so.

You don't need a 450W PSU at all - you'd get away with a 330W if it were a Seasonic, but it wouldn't allow much headroom for expansion. A 430W will easily be enough if it's a decent brand. I'd only look higher if there's some planned upgrades or you use something like 4+ hard drives. Tagan went through a very poor spell late last year. I've not read much on PSU's since, so can't tell you if they've recovered, but there was some obvious quality issues with them in Q4 2006 - they were failing for fun. Enermax frankly lie about all but their highest end PSUs. The Enermax Liberty should be fine, but you do pay a premium. The relatively new Enermax Infiniti series is apparently decent too, but there's not much known of them yet. Their other PSUs should be avoided though. They haven't matched the quoted wattage for a couple of years now, something they have in common with the likes of Q-Tec...

NickKK Wrote:
> Sound card, I would go with an Audigy 2ZS if you
> can find it retail, if not get one on Ebay they
> are pretty resilient cards, not like a Gfx or
> whatever. Consider sticking with onboard sound
> though - I would never go back to onboard after
> getting a 2ZS but that's mostly because I have
> descent speakers and keep high bitrate music

The latest high-def onboard is fine for most uses - I can't tell it apart from my Audigy 4 Pro on my P5B-Deluxe. I wouldn't get an Audigy if you're using Vista though. Creative still haven't released even acceptable drivers, let alone usable ones. The X-fi drivers are supposedly better with the update last week though.
Date: June 05, 2007 05:52PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I kinda wish I had more tech questions when there's people like gav on this forum :(
Date: June 05, 2007 07:40PM
Posted by: NickKK
Lol yeah I might bookmark this thread for future use :D

Date: June 05, 2007 08:57PM
Posted by: Willb
I have the P5b-Plus Vista edition, and I think its brilliant!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: June 05, 2007 10:50PM
You guys are complete legends thank you.

I took advice from you lot and from another tecchy forum, and I now have an improved system for £200 cheaper!

Just looking for a decent graphics card now as I've had differing opinions. Any idea's on the best one to get for around £120?
Date: June 05, 2007 11:25PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Sapphire x1950 Pro, around £100. Taken from PC Format 202 (the newest one).

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 05, 2007 11:26PM
X1950Pro in my mind. 7900GS is the only other option. You can compare them in a few games at different settings here: [www23.tomshardware.com]
Date: June 05, 2007 11:29PM
Posted by: harjinator
I second the opinion above. I have the Sapphire X1950Pro (the 512MB version) and it truly is an awesome card for the money.

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: June 06, 2007 12:18AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Gav, whats wrong with the nvidia chipset motherboards.

/me runs

Date: June 06, 2007 02:58AM
hey gav not sure about your PSU advice as the 7900gs needs around 90 watts not sure how much the x1950 but i would assume ti would be the same or more

and if he was to overclock an e6XXX or e4XXX he would require a larger powersupply due to increased power consumption.
i however do not see the point of OC'ing e4XXX f you are going to buy an extra fan as it works out around the same price and the intel stock fans are fine.

Also from the advice NickK i would not buy a nVidia 8XXX card unless it was 8800 , the 8600 series are pathetically poor only givving 7900gs performance for alot higher price.

________________________________________________________________________________

Date: June 06, 2007 10:40AM
Joeku Wrote:
> hey gav not sure about your PSU advice as the
> 7900gs needs around 90 watts not sure how much the
> x1950 but i would assume ti would be the same or
> more

That's fine, because the rest of the PC is really efficient. Trust me, a strong 330W PSU would be sufficient given the specs we're suggesting - on the presumption he wouldn't be loading the case with 5 fans, more than a couple of hard drives, a couple of optical drives, a multitude of powered USB devices (eg USB powered external hard drives), 4 sticks of RAM and a quad-core Core 2. It would even overclock well. The graphics card is by far and away the most power-hungry of all components in any current gaming machine.

I didn't recommend the 330W though - I recommended the Seasonic 430W, which gives him a little more freedom to expand, and I recommended the 520W if he wished to have a little more peace of mind regarding future upgrades. If he wanted a 8800GTS I would have started the recommendations at the 520W Corsair, but that won't be a necessity in this instance. It's easy to be lulled into the belief that you need 600W PSUs for budget systems when you see 1100W PSUs on the shelves.

Joeku Wrote:
> i however do not see the point of OC'ing e4XXX f
> you are going to buy an extra fan as it works out
> around the same price and the intel stock fans are
> fine.

An E4X00 will easily surpass the speed of the fastest dual-core desktop chip (the X6800) - it only has half the cache, but in most instances that isn't going to make a difference anyway. Even the new E2140 (which costs a grand total of £54 but has 1/8th of the cache of the X6800) will likely clock higher than the X6800 and be as fast in many instances. Intel have a lot more in their pocket even if AMD raise the game with Barcelona and it's desktop derivatives. The only reason I didn't recommend the E2140 is because being so new, other than review samples (which are often hand-picked for performance), there's not much known about them in Europe, so there's little scope for info about their performance and clocking ability.

Joeku Wrote:
> Also from the advice NickK i would not buy a
> nVidia 8XXX card unless it was 8800 , the 8600
> series are pathetically poor only givving 7900gs
> performance for alot higher price.

Agreed, the 8500 and 8600s are hopeless. They're no faster than the chips they replaced (and more expensive), they're just now DX10 compliant (hopefully more so than the FX5000 series was for DX9). They're a big improvement for media playback, but for gaming they're a big let down. People were expecting at least some improvement, but they're blown away by the 7900GS (which is the same price as the 8600GT). The 8600GTS is a full £30 more than 7900GS, yet is a full 20% slower than it. Value for money they are not.

ATi's HD2600s look to have better media performance still than the 8x00s, though I'm yet to read up on how well they perform in games compared to their budget rivals.
Date: June 06, 2007 12:53PM
okay well got pwn'd haha
im just a sucker for those big cache's
i didnt read or your PSU info (i know im lazy)

you work in IT gav right?
your alot more clued in than most of the guys i work with haha

Date: June 06, 2007 01:32PM
Joeku Wrote:
> you work in IT gav right?
> your alot more clued in than most of the guys i
> work with haha

I'm an IT techie in a school in Northumberland (England). It covers the bases for the budget side of things nicely, and then when I get home I tend to keep my own gear pretty up to date, so I suppose I've got most bases covered in a sense - both budget and enthusiast. I'm lucky to be supported as well as I am at work. We're a small school (135 kids), but we tend to pioneer a lot of projects in the county - all the year 8 kids now have PDA's for instance. While I don't agree with a lot of it (PDA's are a pure waste of money in my eyes!), it does help you develop yourself further.

I frequent the Hexus forums, which cover a whole load of PC related matters - hardware, software and development. I occasionally view the Overclockers forums too, which has a much larger member-base, but it's very opinionated and there's a distinct lack of knowledge among some members (from what I see), not something I'd expect in an overclocking forum - that said, there are some true gems there, some very informed members, particularly regarding software. It all means I can view other people's habits and get an idea of trends among tens of thousands of users. It's things like this which leads you to form opinions on, for instance, the sheer volume of Tagan and Hiper blow-ups that were happening late 2006 - you do have factor in roughly how popular some products are when doing this though.

I'm a sort of jack of all trades, master of none. I know a bit about everything, without knowing everything about anything. Networking and internet knowledge are my main weakness.

My CV ends about now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy