Windows Live OneCare

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Windows Live OneCare
Date: March 24, 2007 02:03PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Does anyone know if this is any good? I have NOD32 atm and the Vista firewall is completly useless, as I found out all the weird blocking of websites on my computer was down to that firewall... I do have a hardware firewall but two firewalls are always better than one ;)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Re: Windows Live OneCare
Date: March 24, 2007 02:43PM
Posted by: gav
If you're getting the firewall to block against hackers, don't bother - the hardware one will be more than enough. If you're getting something to control application access, then I've no idea - Comodo is apparently quite decent, and many still swear by Sygate Pro, even though it's not been updated since Symantec bought it in 2005 or something.

Personally, I don't bother - just use the hardware one on my Draytek router.

I did read that the OneCare virus detector came last in a recent test, but I don't trust them at all - they put Norton top a couple of years ago.... I struggle to think anything can surpass NOD32 for protection from viruses at the moment, especially for the low memory foot-print (if that matters to you).
Date: March 24, 2007 05:17PM
Posted by: Glyn
Before I nuke this installation of Vista in about an hours time that I installed shortly before Christmas I installed antivirus software and a spyware scanner just to see if anything had made its way in. Since then, I've been relying on the routers firewall and left Winders Defender running - that's all, and of course I use Firefox. No viruses, no spyware. If you don't open files like britney.exe they're usually cause more problems than they solve.

Date: March 24, 2007 05:23PM
Fair enough :) Just leave it disabled then and have that stupid red shield come up all the time ;)

Date: March 24, 2007 05:44PM
I don't have a red shield in Vista? :|
Date: March 25, 2007 12:13PM
Posted by: Glyn
I think he means in the system tray. Vista likes to moan when you turn things off like in XP, except in Vista Microsoft did a good job of hiding the option to turn the moaning off.

Date: March 25, 2007 01:08PM
Yeah, I know what he meant - I just don't have one ;)

Control Panel > Security Center > Change the way Security Center alerts me > Don't notify me and don't display the icon ;)

And here you go: [news.bbc.co.uk]
Date: March 25, 2007 02:13PM
Hmmm okay, its useless :D Better avoid that!

lol! didn't notice you could do that! thats useful, ta gav :)

Date: March 25, 2007 02:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Vista complains when you turn things off, but you can turn off the complaints and it stops :P

And i wouldnt trust the BBC on technical issues. They called torrent users terrorists and peadophiles and had to remove the article.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 25, 2007 02:59PM
It's not a BBC test though, they just reported the test, done by [www.av-comparatives.org]

//edit: It still doesn't tell everything, as I said earlier - in that test Norton AV finishes ahead of Kaspersky and NOD32. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 03:02PM by gav.
Date: March 25, 2007 03:11PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
AVG got more than 0.0 too :P Which is really inaccurate :D

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy