Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), by Richard Wagner

Posted by rocker 
I was looking this weekend on the internet for this book.
But here in Brazil is pretty hard to find any things about European Myths.

In fact I don't know witch one I should read first, the Richard Wagner story or Nibelunglied (hope I wrote the last one right :P). Probably I'll read the first one I can find.

But on Brazilian online bookstores the books for Richard Wagner novel is almost R$ 600,00 (200 euros), it's preety much for a book. I was wondering how much it would be if I buy on Europe and send it to Brazil. I hope it will be cheaper.

I will also look in some bookstores that sells foreign books, but I doubt I will find.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
I forgot to mention that I just read English and Portuguese, I can't read German (but it's something I want to do after finishing Uni is study German).

Rocker
Wagner was a composer, not an author. He didn't write any books at all. Der Ring der Nibelungen is not a book, but an opera.

If your are interested in Germanic mythology, read "The Edda" - the book of Germanic/Norse Gods and Heroes.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Thanks Vader, once we talked about it on MSN, I know it's an opera, but you can find the history in an novel way, I mean like a story.

Once you sended me link of a bookstore that sended books to Brazil, do you remember witch one was it?

I enjoy German/Norse history, but I can't find much of it here in Brazil.
I wish I could watch this opere, but not a small play but the full 4 days opera (lasting 2 hours to 4 hours a day :P), but I know it's unlikelly I will see it.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but at Nibelunglied basically everbody died in the end and in Wagner's story just the God's and they return the ring to the Rhino, isn't it? Is it the major difference about the two stories?

Rocker
[en.wikipedia.org]

The Nibelungenlied is an epic poem in Middle High German. It tells the story of dragon-slayer Siegfried at the court of the Burgundians, and of his wife's revenge, which leads to the death of all the protagonists.

Based on pre-Christian Germanic heroic motifs (the "Nibelungensaga";), which includes oral traditions and reports based on historic events and individuals of the 5th and 6th centuries. Old Norse parallels of the legend survive in the Völsunga saga, The Prose Edda, The Poetic Edda and the Þiðrekssaga.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Take my word for it... the opera is long (many hours!) but it seriously kicks ass!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
I hope I can see, one day, a full orginal version of this opera.

Rocker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2006 06:34AM by rocker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy