Oooh thats painful

Posted by rapid_f1 
Oooh thats painful
Date: June 29, 2006 06:28PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
About a week ago i was at work and at about 11pm i felt a little pain in my left ear. i took some paracetamol and everything seemed ok. At about 12:30am, i felt a really bad pain in the same ear and i was on the floor cos i really couldnt move then an almighty intense pain and i heard a large pop. This pop was so bad i fell to the floor again. Blood started coming out. The exact same procdure happened to the right one so i felt that excrciating pain twice. Went to hospital and they gave me anti-biotics.

Went back to hospital today and the doctor says that i have blown a hole in both of my eardrums and that also the reason why my hearing is down. Was caused due to an infection that was sitting ontop of the eardrum. Have to wait a month for the hole to seal up or if it doesnt i need an operation to have it sealed.

Doctor said in general, never stick your finger, cotton bud, etc. into the ear canal. It gets easily inflamed and inflamed skin gets infected very easy.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Re: Oooh thats painful
Date: June 29, 2006 06:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
That must have hurt :S
I hope you feel better now. :)
Date: June 29, 2006 07:29PM
Posted by: Muks_C
ooh that's bad, hope the pain has eased/stopped now.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 29, 2006 07:44PM
Posted by: danm
pardon?

sorry, couldnt resist. ouch seems nasty, hope its better

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 29, 2006 08:32PM
Posted by: chet
rofl@dan :P

Wow, that sounds well bad ! Hopes its better now :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 29, 2006 10:13PM
thanks guys. the pain has gone its just that i look abit silly now with ball of cotton in my ear to stop dust, partcles etc. going through that hole into the middle ear. but ive been invloved in two car accidents when i was small yet i have never experinced pain like i did that night.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 10:24PM
Posted by: Vader
rapid_f1 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Doctor said in general, never stick your finger, cotton bud, etc. into
> the ear canal
. It gets easily inflamed and inflamed skin gets infected
> very easy.
>
>

rapid_f1 Wrote:
> thanks guys. the pain has gone its just that i look abit silly now
> with ball of cotton in my ear
>

You don't really listen to your doctor, don't you? Oh sorry, I guess you couldn't hear what he was saying.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 29, 2006 10:27PM
Posted by: matt3454
he didnt say he stuck it in his actual ear canal

Date: June 29, 2006 10:28PM
Posted by: Nickv
HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Date: June 29, 2006 10:29PM
lol no he said its ok just to perch the cotton ball in the outer canal without going into the ear canal. just to stop nasties getting into my ear and going to my brain. however the doctor at the hospital gave me some drops a week ago when the eardrum burst but from my little research i shouldnt be putting drops into a perforated eardrum? i am going to see my doctor tomorrow to get clarification.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 10:36PM
Posted by: gav
Hmm, to trust a real doctor, or Dr. Nick of the internet? ;)
Date: June 29, 2006 10:50PM
Posted by: MarcLister
I kind of know what this is like. I've been deaf since I was about 2.5 years old. I'm nearing 23 years old now. :-o

A few years ago I was in London for my Consultant's appointment. My consultant notice some wax in my ear and asked a nurse to wash it out with water. This involves squirting ice cold water into your ear, presumably at pressure, to get dislodge the wax which then is meant to flow out of my ear and into a cold (and I mean freezing cold) metal bucket. This bucket is so cold when pressed against my head I feel ill.

Anyways nurse turns the water on and instantly MASSIVE pain in my ear. Nurse gets consultant. Consultant checks my ear out and sees a perforated eardrum. She tells the nurse to do the other ear instead.

Get home and the next day I have black gunk pouring out of the ear with the perforated ear drum. Yayness, can't wear hearing aid; can't go to school.

And to complete the set I had green gunk pouring out of the other ear which means no hearing aid in that ear either and no hearing until gunk sods off.

So all in all I love getting letters for appointments with my consultant. :( :-(
Date: June 29, 2006 10:55PM
ooo sorry to hear that. how unprofessional of them to not check if you have a perforated eardrum or not? beggars belief.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 10:58PM
Posted by: MarcLister
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> ooo sorry to hear that. how unprofessional of them to not check if you
> have a perforated eardrum or not? beggars belief.
>
>
Yeah. I went to see a GP the other week about some more gunk in my ear. I saw a GP earlier in the year and she prescribed me some stuff but it didn't work.

The new GP told me I had a perforated eardrum (other ear to previous story) and asked me if I had done anything to cause it. To be truthfully honest I don't know how I caused either perforation.

And even if I could think of a cause I was a bit busy being angry with the first doctor for not spotting it.
Date: June 29, 2006 11:11PM
lol you could do some reserach for possible causes. i had a throat infection a week before my ear infection. that sometimes is a prescursor to a ear infection. perhaps you stuck something in there?

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 11:13PM
Posted by: danm
rapid_f1 Wrote:
i look abit silly now
> with ball of cotton in my ear to stop dust, partcles etc. going
> through that hole into the middle ear...

middle earth? :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 30, 2006 01:52AM
Posted by: ZaZ
i never really had serious infections in my ear but i can imagine how it feels. i once blew a hole in my left eardrum with some homemade explosives. very very painful. i ate boxes of painkillers each day. it's even much more worse than a serious toothache multiplied by ten.
till this day (years later on) i'm still partially deaf on the left ear. i can only hear very little with it. like maxing out a headphone and pressing it real hard on my ear makes me hear, but it sounds 'thin' and far away.
get well.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: June 30, 2006 04:01AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Bah, sorry to hear all the bad stories!
Be very careful with your ears! When I was 4-5 years old I'd go deaf for extended amounts of time all of a sudden, and turns out I had an infection in the eardrums and needed to have both channels replaced, and for the next couple of years I had to wear and annoying gelly thingy to cover the ears when I would go swimming (which was every day basically). I lost the damn thing a few times ;). But luckily I haven't suffered any loss in hearing and I am quite responsible with that, I never in my life listened to TV, music or anything loud (except live concerts and F1), and I can hear stuff many people can't.

But it's so cool being able to say I have artificial ear channels :p
Date: June 30, 2006 06:50AM
Posted by: PIQUET FAN
What a coincidence... I'm reading this and my right ear is paining... please God help me...
Date: June 30, 2006 09:33AM
Posted by: Muks_C
i typed out my story about ear pain a while back, i'll dig it out and re-post it.

@ Gui, you can say you got artificial channels in 'Nam ;-)(remember in the Hot Shots movies, Lloyd Bridges always says he got different bits of his body from war injuries?)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy