PC Restarts

Posted by harjinator 
PC Restarts
Date: February 14, 2006 10:33PM
Posted by: harjinator
Hi> PC playing up again. Getting random restarts when i run some games, or use the full screen mode in Windows Media Player. Could the graphics card be playing up or is more likely to be a softwre issue?

Specs: AMD AthlonXP3000+, 768MB RAM, Sapphire Radeon 9550, Windows XP Pro, 80GB Hdd

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Re: PC Restarts
Date: February 14, 2006 11:45PM
Posted by: gav
Most likely, as ever a cheap PSU or an overheating problem. I don't think the WMP visualisations use the graphics card at all really, other than fill-rate, so can't see the graphics card being the problem.

In the meantime, so you can at least listen to music, turn off visualisations (they're pointless anyway), or download Winamp, for which there is no excuse, crashing PC or not ;)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:54AM
Posted by: Briere
use WMP 6.4 instead
Date: February 15, 2006 06:35PM
Posted by: Willb
what does the error say before it restarts (if there is one, if not turn off automatic restart)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: February 15, 2006 10:25PM
I'll have a look and turn off auto restarts... last time I used WinAMP, it restarted my machine when u ran it, so i gave up with it. Never used to like WMAs either iirc

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: February 16, 2006 04:07PM
Posted by: mikef1
I've seen this problem loads of times before, there are two reasons for this, first of all make sure your HD is virus free, if it is then it's almost certainly a dodgy memory stick in your PC.
Date: February 16, 2006 06:40PM
Mike, seriously... it could be anything. It's very doubtful it's HD related, virus or otherwise though.
Date: February 16, 2006 08:50PM
for the record-when auto restart is disabled, I get a BSOD, with all the usual 'contact your system admin' rubbish. Time for the AMD Turion laptop I think

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: February 16, 2006 11:19PM
Posted by: mikef1
"Mike, seriously... it could be anything. It's very doubtful it's HD related, virus or otherwise though."
Yeah, i agree but with all my previous experiences of random reboots have always been memory related, but i agree the power supply, if it's cheap and nasty could be a possible culprit.
Date: February 16, 2006 11:22PM
surely if it was PSU, it would just restart, and wouldn't give a windows error message? RAM is possible-i had problems with Ram and this motherboard before.

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: February 17, 2006 10:24AM
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> surely if it was PSU, it would just restart, and
> wouldn't give a windows error message? RAM is
> possible-i had problems with Ram and this
> motherboard before.

You get RAM issues with every board. There's no board that works with every stick of RAM. To test whether it is the RAM, run Memtest86 ([www.memtest86.com]) - it needs to be run from a boot disk, so you'll need to create one. Alternatively, it's part of the Hiren's BootCD, if you'd prefer to make a bootable CD with it ([homepage.ntlworld.com]). Let it run for at least half an hour, and if there's no errors, you can probably discount the RAM, or any compatibility problems between it and the motherboard.

The theory behind the PSU isn't that it's failed when it restarts the PC (or causes the BSOD now), more that the volts are fluctuating enough for the motherboard/RAM/CPU/hard drives to simply deliver a wrong instruction. It's a simple problem that doesn't sound too serious, but the chances are it means the PSU is on the way out. Budget PSUs are like this. They start off working fine, but deteriorate rapidly, before failing completely, usually taking other things components with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 10:26AM by gav.
Date: February 17, 2006 09:56PM
ah, i'll just buy a laptop. can't be arsed with this PC any more

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: February 17, 2006 10:23PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I think Gavs right on this one tbh, Most likely PSU problem. But it could be absolutly anything.

Date: February 17, 2006 10:27PM
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ah, i'll just buy a laptop. can't be arsed with
> this PC any more

I'll wait until a few years time when the laptop battery dies, and you come asking why your laptop won't switch on then ;)

It's technology. Buy budget, budget fails. Buy cutting edge, and it's been eclipsed by the time it's been unpacked. There's a middle ground somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy