Socket A and Chipsets

Posted by danm 
Socket A and Chipsets
Date: January 24, 2006 06:18AM
Posted by: danm
right seems its time to sell the asus a7n8x-e deluxe board i think!

purchased some new RAM and its high density, which means my current board will not support it (due to the NForce 2 Chipset)

Other computer forums are giving me an un-jolly weenerfest of people who bum certain brands and types so with luck you guys can help me again!

should be the last time i hope now, bloody asus nothing but awkwardness!

SO...

can several of you with sufficient knowledge please recommend me a Socket A board that will nicely work with 2 x 1gb sticks of high density samsung ram and an XP3200+.

(is there just a thing with the NForce 2 chipset that means it cant handle high density?)

CURRENTLY LOOKING AT THIS BOARD - YES OR NO?

[uk.asus.com]

thankyou come again!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 06:32AM by danm.
Re: Socket A and Chipsets
Date: January 24, 2006 08:19AM
Posted by: b-tone
from recent experience, don't get a socket a board.
i've been looking for a new socket a proceessor and they dont exist any more.
which makes me wonder why they still sell the boards :|
so buy a newer board, and send me your processor :D

____
Tony

Date: January 24, 2006 10:02AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
They stopped actually churning out Socket A in about september last year iirc, the cpus at least.

The Socket A motherboards are largely just leftover stockpiles from manufacturers / etailors.

Nforce 2 is the best, period. Via's later chipsets (ie not the KT133 or 266 in my experience) are fine too, and the Sis 741 is okay, not overly quick but rock solid anyway. I've not heard of Nforce 2 not liking high density ram I did hear it didnt get on with CL3.0 ram, but I can't confirm if that's true or if I actually just made it up. I suspect your ram is CL3.0 in speed, it wil lbe if it wasn't expensive.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 24, 2006 01:03PM
Posted by: gav
VIA haven't made a decent chipset for donkey's years in my experience. They're quickly disappearing into nothingness, being replaced by nVidia and ATi in the high-end stakes, and SiS and ULi (formerly ALi) in the budget section. They don't appear to have a market to fit into, and 2 or more years of indecisivenes has led to their downfall.

nVidia make by far the best Socket A chipset, and the ASUS you have is one of the best motherboards supporting it.

Dump the RAM (sell on or whatever), and get some proper, non-budget stuff. Corsair usually works well with ASUS.

No point at all of dumping a perfectly good motherboard, when it's the RAM at fault. If you are going to dump the motherboard, do it properly, and get a motherboard and new Athlon64 processor.
Date: January 24, 2006 01:08PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Uli just got bought by nvidia, and now ati are the prefered partner for intel's lower end chipsets.

Certainly VIA are suffering, but the kt800 and 890 are really quite good as far as I'm aware - just not NF4 good. At least the can fall back of their C3 cpu business......

Oh wait, they suck.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy