Prescott breaks law for 3 years using tax payers money

Posted by DaveEllis 
Prescott breaks law for 3 years using tax payers money
Date: January 13, 2006 09:52AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Good stuff. If i had forgotten for just a fraction of this time i'd be up in court because this man tells me i have to pay it. Yet he does this for 3 years, uses OUR MONEY to do so, and is getting no action taken agaisnt him?

Sack him. If a respectable MP can be thrown out of his position for a drink problem, a man who screwed the public out of money for 3 years illegal should get sacked. this is one of the men in charge of running our country?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2006 09:55AM by DaveEllis.
...and i bet *he* didn't get a county court summons :/

Re: Prescott breaks law for 3 years using tax payers money
Date: January 13, 2006 10:18AM
Posted by: Peat
'inadvertant error'

*coughs*BULLSH*T!!*cough*

...and i bet *he* didn't get a county court summons :/

Of course he didnt. Another case of "one rule for them, another one for us"

New Labour, new @#$%&.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
i bet he "forgot" that we're not supposed to have any cars either, while he was busy buying 20 of them...

probably with our money too.

Whilst I'm not trying to defend him, it's up to the authorities to check. If they'd have carried out their checks, perhaps it would have been sorted out sooner, as he'd have been informed sooner. People are always given the opportunity to pay before a court summons is enforced.

[Website]
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2006 03:26PM

Whilst I'm not trying to defend him, it's up to the authorities to check.

No its not. Ignorence is not an excuse. We are told that constantly. And now that they have checked, i expect him to serve a jail sentence just like the little old women that have been jailed for it in the past.

Secondly, hes part of the government which failed to do the checks properly, so surely this is still there fault anyway?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
No, 'old women', as you put it, have been jailed for refusing to pay their council tax after they have been reminded that they haven't paid it.

Secondly, council tax is administered by the local authority, not national government. The local MP is a conservative, and as far as I know, Westminster council is Conservative run.

[Website]
Date: January 13, 2006 04:13PM
Posted by: LS.
I'm sure Red Sam will forgive him ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2006 04:13PM

No, 'old women', as you put it, have been jailed for refusing to pay their council tax after they have been reminded that they haven't paid it.

Yes they did. They spent 1 week in prison, for refusing to pay there council tax. It happened several times.

Once again, ignorence of the law and your mismanagement of your money is not an excuse. He broke the law, knowingly or not and should be taken to court for it. Not let off because hes a fat rich man with power

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Dave, he used a comma, So he meant "The old women that have been jailed were detained for refusing to pay, after being told" not "No old women have been jailed".

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
oops, i read it like that too.

a comma is a very powerful thing.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
My bad, but the origional point stands

Ignorence of the law and your responsibilities is not a valid excuse, and the government reminds us of this. It was his responsibility to know what was going on, especailly as, according to the BBC, this is his department. Its unacceptable that this rich man will get away with it because of the position of power hes in and old women get jailed for it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
I agree that no-one should be above the law, councils are required to inform / remind people that they owe council tax before a summons is enforced. Providing this is not ignored, no action is taken.

Yes, he should have kept track himself, but once the error was pointed out, he took action to rectify the mistake.

[Website]
3 years and he didnt pick up the error, nor did the department he apparently runs? If this isnt enough to prove his department is not in a useable state with his leadership im not sure what is

Sorry, but the whole thing unaccetpable. Jail him. Ignorence is not an excuse and his council tax was not paid on time, as the law states. That is a criminal offence and he should be taken to court like everyone else breaking this law should be.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
But by its definition council tax is run by the local council, nopt national govt.

I'm not saying what he did was right, but he's paid up, and if Westminster council feel a fine is in order I'm sure one will follow. Its rather different to REFUSING to pay, as that's a conscious decision to break the law.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
It is different, but is treated the same as im reminded so many times by the local benefits office since i have been off and on due to switching jobs. They have always made it clear to me that money i am meant to pay/be payed is my responsibilty to sort and it is seen as a criminal offense if i do not pay money, whether i know or not.

Local councils may be incharge of the immediate payments, but everything currently is pointing all the way back to Mr 3 Jags Prescott himself.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Someone on another forum has pointed out a nice loophole. because the council tax was actually being paid on the house at all times (albeit by the government, not him) no law was actually broken. Which, co-incidently means, his department screws up, he gain £3800 of tax payers money, someone points it out, he begings to repay it, and nothing can be done about it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 13, 2006 05:25PM
Posted by: LS.
Dave you sound suprised that MP's are exempt from the law that govern the little people like us

They're all too busy at the trough like pigs, or fiddling their expense forms.

Maybe he'll have to sell one of his houses or perish the thought........one of his jags

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Pfft the worst the silly bugger'll get is a slap from Tony Bliar which he'd enjoy anyway
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy