Trouble about World Cup qualifications

Posted by R_Scandura 
Trouble about World Cup qualifications
Date: November 17, 2005 05:55PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
Hi
There is something I never understood about the qualifications...
Why the winner of the oceanian area must do the play-off with the 5th of the south american area?? I heard the Australia missed the WC for 32 years and this is the 2nd time only that all the continents and the 6 federations are represented in the final tournament. Maybe Australia is the obvious winner of his area but is this fair? Why not give Oceania 2 slots?

Also how sense have the playoffs Asia-concacaf with concacaf which seems to be counted as a own standing federation?

-------------------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2005 06:00PM by R_Scandura.
Re: Trouble about World Cup qualifications
Date: November 17, 2005 06:17PM
Posted by: Wirah
Australia will now play in the Asian qualifiers and the Asian Nations.

Date: November 17, 2005 06:21PM
Indeed I heard they asked to join the asian federation.
At least maybe no more play offs

Date: November 17, 2005 08:16PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
Oceanania as a federation doesn't have a direct qualification slot. For some unknown reason, they only get half a slot. South America, gets 4.5 slots, so Oceania and South America play-off for their combined spot.
Date: November 17, 2005 11:06PM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
it's crap that Australia has to get into the world cup that way it has really hurt the game down under that we never make it in

i think that Soccor will get a huge boost this year

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: November 17, 2005 11:33PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
FOOTBALL!

I reckon you guys call it soccer, and so end up not entering the right competition since its football to everyone but the yanks and you ;)

But it does seem a bit unfair. Though how many countries with a team does oceania have compared with S America? Out of interest like. 5 compared to 14ish? I dunno, havent looked.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 17, 2005 11:36PM
Posted by: danm
lets be honest though, i didnt even know the aussies fieled a decent footy side in the first place :P prove me worng in germany though!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 18, 2005 12:05AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FOOTBALL!

I agree!! It's the only game that uses the feet more than the hands, so by rights it should be called football.
Date: November 18, 2005 12:22AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Chris is right, Australia would qualify every single year, that's why they must play the 5th placed team in the South American qualifying.

To be honest, the US and Mexico have it way too easy as well. They play Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, and those crappy teams.
Date: November 18, 2005 07:56AM
Posted by: b-tone
Chris is right, Australia would qualify every single year,

ahem, 1982 anyone...

oceania should get 1.5 places. some of the african and asian teams would struggle against aussie, and even NZ sometimes.

Though how many countries with a team does oceania have compared with S America? Out of interest like. 5 compared to 14ish? I dunno, havent looked.

frome memory theres two groups of 6, with nz and aussie usually playing of as group winners. although vanuatu beat nz this time i think.
so theres 12 oceania teams atleast.

____
Tony

Date: November 18, 2005 08:21AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
it will always be called soccer in australia. how can it be anything else when the national team go by the name socceroo's?

Date: November 18, 2005 09:11AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I noted the other day in my old high school's newsletter they switched from calling it soccer to football. It's creeping in, slowly.
Date: November 18, 2005 11:02AM
vanatu? That's not a country! I mean proper ones ;)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: November 18, 2005 11:05AM
So Oceania has 12 teams? Isn't enough to grant at least 1 slot? At the same way we should complain if Brazil and Argentina usualy qualify every year...

Ah! so australian team is called 'socceroo's'? I heard this name many times by the commentators but never understood the meaning/spelling :)

cya

Date: November 18, 2005 03:44PM
Posted by: Paco
At the same way we should complain if Brazil and Argentina usualy qualify every year...

it's not the same thing, you're right that Argentina and Brazil usually qualify (well, Brazil is the only team having played every World Cup) but you don't get a huge difference over other teams. On the other hand, Australia is far superior to their rivals, if i'm not wrong, they scored 33 goals in just a game at '02 WC qualifiers, right?

I'm against sigpics
Date: November 18, 2005 04:21PM
Posted by: b-tone
they're not that far ahead of NZ. sometimes.
NZ held the record for most goals scored in a World Cup match until a year or two ago :p

____
Tony

Date: November 18, 2005 04:46PM
in a World Cup??? don't you mean qualifiers? I have never seen NZ in a World Cup, but correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm against sigpics
Date: November 18, 2005 04:53PM
i found some interesting data about world cup records :)

Team Records
Brazil holds the most World Cup championships with five and Italy and West Germany/Germany are tied with three World Cup titles. Hungary has tallied the most goals in a single World Cup when they scored 27 in 1954. In the 1954 World Cup Austria beat Switzerland 7-5 for the most goals (12) combined in a World Cup match. Hungary beat El Salvador in 1982, 10-1 for the highest goal differential in a World Cup match (Hungary is also the only team to score 10 or more goals in a World Cup).

Individual Records
Gerard Muller is the top scorer in World Cup history with 14 goals. Salenko of Russia scored 5 goals in a match during the 1994 World Cup. Guillermo Stabile of Argentina was the first player to ever record a hat trick (1930 World Cup). Hakan Sukur of Turkey scored the fastest goal in World Cup history in 2002 when he scored 11 seconds into the match against South Korea. Lothar Matthaus of Germany / West Germany has the most appearances by a player in the World Cup with 25. Norman Whiteside of Northern Ireland was the youngest player (17 years old) to ever step on the field in World Cup (1982). Pelé of Brazil was also the youngest player to score in a World Cup (1958) match. Pelé also was the youngest player to ever win a World Cup (1958). Roger Milla of Cameroon was the oldest (42 years, 39 days) player to play in a World Cup (1994). Milla also scored a goal in that match against Russia. The first player to ever be ejected from a World Cup match was Galindo of Peru in 1930.

World Cup Records
The 1994 World Cup held in the United States had the highest average attendance with over 68,990 for each match. The 1930 World Cup Final (Uruguay vs. Argentina) had over 93,000 spectators for the largest number of spectators to watch a final. The 1954 World Cup held in Switzerland holds the highest average for goals per game 5.38 (140 goals in 26 matches).

i'm not so sure about the 1930 final having the largest number of spectators, i've heard more than once that there were about 200,000 for 1950 final (Brazil-Uruguay at the Maracaná)

I'm against sigpics
Date: November 18, 2005 05:57PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

best thing about soccer, is when on the simpsons soccer comes to springfield. its the funniest and yet true thing i have seen ;)

Date: November 18, 2005 05:59PM
i propsose a mandatory ban on australia in the WC on the grounds of not using the right name!

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy