UKOnline

Posted by Wirah 
UKOnline
Date: November 08, 2005 05:54PM
Posted by: Wirah
I was thinking about signing up for this package: [www.ukonline.net]

Seems pretty good, 2meg unlimited, uncapped, for 15 quid and with free connection. There must be some catch.. Does anyone know anything about the ISP?

Re: UKOnline
Date: November 08, 2005 06:45PM
Posted by: Zcott
Yeah, they connect you to a TURTLE!

Date: November 08, 2005 07:09PM
How many KB/s is 2mbit? 250 odd KB/s? Personally I'd be happy with just 150KB/s, I currently pay £15.99 for 256k broadband, and for some reason Tiscali won't upgrade my service.

Date: November 08, 2005 07:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
How many KB/s is 2mbit?

Approx 240.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 08, 2005 07:30PM
Posted by: Lemming
why don't i ever get anywhere close to 240kb/sec?!

i've got a 2meg connection, downloads at 50-60kb/sec if i'm lucky...

Date: November 08, 2005 07:31PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
limited by the server, connection ratio etc

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 08, 2005 07:32PM
Maybe 2meg isn't available on your line so your ISP gives you the maximum speed that they can. Or you downloaded too much, broke your ISPs AUP/FUP and they are limiting your connection or packet shaping. Try giving them a call. Which ISP is it?

Date: November 08, 2005 07:52PM
Posted by: gav
Wirah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many KB/s is 2mbit? 250 odd KB/s?

Theoritical, or on UKOnline?
Date: November 08, 2005 08:16PM
Theoretically. Dave already answered, thanks though :)

Date: November 08, 2005 08:27PM
Posted by: Glyn
Wirah Wrote:
> There must be some catch.

The catch is you need to be connected to a exchange thats had local loop unbundling (LLU). I assume if you're looking at it you can get it. Basically it means they install their own stuff in the exchange, so don't have to pay BT. Quite a few ISPs do it now actually.

I know someone whos on the 8 Mbps one with UKOnline and says the speeds (in comparison to what an 8 Mbps line should be) are pretty good.

Check out the forums on [www.adslguide.org] , theres quite a few threads for UKOnline when I last looked.

Date: November 08, 2005 08:47PM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ Wirah, i'm on tiscali.

i used to be on 512k with 30GB limit for £15.99

then upgraded online to 1MB with no monthly limit for £15.99

now upgraded to new package that is 1MB with no limit for £14.99.

i had to do all this myself mind, they don't send you an email or letter to offer you an upgrade or tell you about new packages that you might like.

have a look on their website and see if you can upgrade yourself without having to ring them up.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 08, 2005 09:50PM
Posted by: Lemming
Wirah Wrote:
> Maybe 2meg isn't available on your line so your
> ISP gives you the maximum speed that they can. Or
> you downloaded too much, broke your ISPs AUP/FUP
> and they are limiting your connection or packet
> shaping. Try giving them a call. Which ISP is it?
>
>

when i connect, it says it's connected at 2.2mbps in the little balloon thingy in the bottom right of the screen. i've only just upgraded to the connection (was 512kbps), i was going to cancel, they offered an upgrade for the same price without the download limit.

it's ntl.

Date: November 08, 2005 10:04PM
Posted by: gav
Mine said 2mb too on my old modem. It was still capped to 1mb though.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:36PM
Posted by: Glyn
It's because BT grade all new lines they enable broadband on now as 2 Mbps ones, so if you upgrade in the future your ISP just has to basically change the speed they will send data to you, instead of doing that and getting BT to regrade your line.

Date: November 08, 2005 10:56PM
yeah mine said 2.3MBps even when i was only on 512, and it still says the same now i'm on 1MB.

Date: November 09, 2005 05:52PM
Those speeds that you are quoting is how fast your ethernet card is I think. Muks, I have done it manually on there website, they have also sent me an email saying my upgrade will be complete in 2-3 days. I've attempted to upgrade at various times during the past 8 months, 3 times in total. The first two times; nothing happened, so I called up Tiscali, the guy told me to remove everything that starts up when your pc does, I can't remember what he said exactly, but you have to type something into 'Run..' and it opens a list of programs/components that start when your PC does, he told me that I should uncheck all of them, I'm not that stupid! So I am fed up with Tiscali.

Date: November 09, 2005 05:56PM
you shouldn't have to do any of that.

all i did was login on the tiscali website, then browsed the broadband packages, and clicked on 'upgrade - click here for current users' or something like that.

you shouldn't have to put up with 256K when they quite clearly are offering 1MB for the same price (or £1 less) than you currently pay.

ring them up and demand to be upgraded. say you know people who are on better packages and are paying less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy