Injury!

Posted by villarule 
Injury!
Date: September 23, 2005 03:08PM
Posted by: villarule
Story:

Yesterday I woke up at 7am like usualy, though I felt a bit dodgy and had this feeling that the day wasnt going to be great. I got ready like normal, had 10 mins on MGS3 as I had just got it the day before. This made me a lil' late.

So I was going down the big hill on the main road, as fast as I could (Roughly 15-20 MPH) and I hit a dustbin as I was on the pavement due to a big line of cars that wernt moving. That kinda annoyed me, though it didnt really hurt.

As I got on my way, off the main road and going down another hill, a bus was behind me, and lots of school traffic was going up the hill on the otherside. Because I have brakes that are about 10% functional, I had to brake quite early, but not want to either hold the bus up, or suprise the driver and have him hit my back side, I got on the pavement at the nearest opportunity.

Unfortunatly, I hadn't quite slowed down well enough and there was a car half parked on the kerb. At the time, I thought 'O lucky there is a loose bush there, that'll slow me down'. So, still with brakes on, I went onto the path, just kepy control as the front wheel jumped sidewards as I went up the kerb, and I aimed to just hit the edge of the bush, and I did. Except there is a brick wall hidden just behind it, and my hand made full contact with it, and proceded to bleed and swell quite heavily.

So I continued onto college, with a red hand and blood dripping everywhere. It started to get quite scary when I started to feel dizzy, and I had 10 mins to get to college, so I carried on going regardless (Because I dont want to miss college), and I managed to get there with 5 mins to spare. So I locked my bike up, and walked to the nearest toilet, still with red hand and blood dripping everywhere. I washed it in the sink, cleaned my hand and went to class.

I told the teacher and he told me to go to the reception and see the first aider, so I did. He tried to put a plaster on it, but he said that they were crap and it just fell off, so he told me to go to the first aid room. So I went, and explained what had happend and got this reply:

''You didnt do it on college grounds, so what do you expect us to do?'' So I said fine and walked out and just went on for the rest of the day, wiping blood and being extremly uncomfortable.

( State of my hand at that point)

After college, I went straight to the doctors and he said it seems to be bruised, but if it doesnt get better after a few days, go straight to A&E because it could be broken. So I cleaned it some more and he gave it some dressing.

( State of hand after doctors visit).

So after that, I have learnt that if anything does happen on my way to college, I shouldnt do the decent thing and still try to attend college, but just visit the doctors and take the day off. Hurts like hell and its really annoying because its like having one hand, and I dont like asking others to do simple things like open the milk.

But there is my story anyway. ( and the blood on my brake lever for if anyone wants to see it)

Re: Injury!
Date: September 23, 2005 03:12PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
nioce! Seriously though ur college's first aider is a right tool. Wtf - we cant help you because u did it outside of college..hmm yeah nice. You should have gone straight into class bleeding profusely!
Date: September 23, 2005 03:22PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
go see the head of the college and he will woop the first aid person bum

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: September 23, 2005 03:36PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
holy crap mate, glad you're okay that's quite a story! I'm with SpaceAce, tell the head dude.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: September 23, 2005 03:50PM
Yea, I was considering that, but I suppose it could be part of an insurance policy or something.

Date: September 23, 2005 03:51PM
Posted by: Vader
I thought "poor guy" until I read Because I have brakes that are about 10% functional. I then thought "That'll teach this dumbass." ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 23, 2005 03:53PM
;)

Its not my fault that ive not had time to get them sorted ;)

Date: September 23, 2005 04:00PM
Posted by: Muks_C
what difference does it make to the college whether you did it on college grounds or not? you're not trying to sue the college or blame them for it, you only wanted some help.

if you get shot outside the college, and need immediate help, and stumble into the nearest building (the college) would they refuse to help because it wasn't on their premises?

idiots.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 23, 2005 04:01PM
Well, after he said that, I made sure I was as rude as possible to him :)

Date: September 23, 2005 04:08PM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, we (education authorities) legally can't administor treatment unless the illness or injury was obtained within our grounds, unless we get written permission from that persons parents or guardian.

Exceptions are made in extreme circumstances, but if possible all complaints are forwarded to outside healthcare, with transportation provided (some dudes car) if necessary.

I assume it's the same in colleges, minus the parental permission.
Date: September 23, 2005 05:35PM
Thats why I was doubutful about making a fuss about it.

Just took the dressing off to give it a clean and some fresh dressing, and its still looking quite sore and swelled. (new picture for non-squirmish)

Date: September 23, 2005 05:46PM
Posted by: Karan19
ouch... hope your all ok now man :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2005 05:47PM by Karan19.
Date: September 23, 2005 05:47PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, we (education authorities) legally can't
> administor treatment unless the illness or injury
> was obtained within our grounds, unless we get
> written permission from that persons parents or
> guardian.
>
> Exceptions are made in extreme circumstances, but
> if possible all complaints are forwarded to
> outside healthcare, with transportation provided
> (some dudes car) if necessary.
>
> I assume it's the same in colleges, minus the
> parental permission.

I thought this might be the case. Damned americanised society

Date: September 23, 2005 06:23PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
whenever you abng any part of your body, if you can drop it in some ice cold water. this will reduce swelling alot later on. its part of the rice treatment:

R est
I ce
C ompression (tight bandage)
E levation (keep the part elevated as much as possible)

Also if you been burnt (minor) run the affected part under the tap for MINIMUM of 10mins. If you been burnt by a chemical do it for 20mins. its a pain keeping your hand under the tap that long but it is highly recommended. once cooled apply a sterile dressing.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: September 23, 2005 10:01PM
Posted by: Vader
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, we (education authorities) legally can't
> administor treatment unless the illness or injury
> was obtained within our grounds, unless we get
> written permission from that persons parents or
> guardian.
>
> Exceptions are made in extreme circumstances, but
> if possible all complaints are forwarded to
> outside healthcare, with transportation provided
> (some dudes car) if necessary.
>
> I assume it's the same in colleges, minus the
> parental permission.
>

Over here insurance automatically covers all injuries/damages obtained or given to others within school grounds and on the direct way from your home to school, respectively from school to your home. This is why students must not leave school grounds during school time otherwise they don't have any insurance at all. If they leave school without permission and, for example, cause an accident on the street, they have to pay for the damage themselves.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 23, 2005 10:26PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
whatever happened to comon sense? everyones insurance conscincce nowadays.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: September 23, 2005 10:34PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
It's crap isn't it :( Still, I bet we'd be glad of it if we got run over.

@villarule - that's one really bad way to start your day :)

Date: September 24, 2005 01:01AM
Posted by: chet
:O wow... err a good read lol

glad ure not too hurt :P:P

u seem to like taking risks lol ;) i mean the clipping the bush thing.. :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 24, 2005 10:31PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Maybe its just the blurriness of the photograph, but i seem to get more serious cuts at hurling matches as a matter of routine :P

Not getting help from the First Aider must have been a pain in the arse, but things do seem to be going that way
Date: September 26, 2005 04:32PM
lol, the cut wasnt too much really, except it didnt seem to stop bleeding. What the picture didnt show was the swelling. My finger was HUGE! It is now mediumly large, but seems to be recovering well.

And yes, risks rule ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy