Leguna Seca - Corkscrew corner

Posted by Lanky-Lad 
Leguna Seca - Corkscrew corner
Date: December 24, 2003 04:37AM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
Because it is a bit of a dodgey corner, I was wondering weather there have been many major accidents on it. I'm not being a crash junkie, I'm just curious thats all. :)

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Re: Leguna Seca - Corkscrew corner
Date: December 24, 2003 05:25AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Is that the corner that dude in CART died in?
Or was it just that circuit?

Date: December 24, 2003 05:25AM
Posted by: Vader
Not a crash, but definitely one of the greatest passing manouveres in racing ever: Rookie Alex Zanardi passes Brian Herta going through corkscrew. Stunning and almost impossible.

go to [www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de]

and scroll down to

"Laguna Seca 1996: the "last lap pass" over Brian Herta at the Corkscrew : a fantastic move gone down in history !" (especially Part 2 is stunning :-o)

and

"Laguna Seca 1996: another video of the legendary pass with the comment of Bobby Rahal provided by Natrone Jack"

Watch and enjoy.

Gonzalo Rodriguez died in a practice session at Laguna Seca in 1999, right before Corkscrew. He went straight on, hitting a wall. The car flipped over, landing on the upside down. Rodriguez died of a broken neck and severe damages to his skull.

Post Edited (12-24-03 12:31)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 05:45AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
are u sure that's the right link, Vader?

Date: December 24, 2003 05:49AM
Posted by: matthewp
yes I don't think that the pied piper homepage is the one we want in this case :)

Date: December 24, 2003 06:01AM
Posted by: sasjag
lmao!!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: December 24, 2003 07:27AM
[digilander.libero.it]

That's the link!

I'm just glad I put the Pied Piper link in and not he one to "Debbie Does Dallas" (thx Zcott)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 07:51AM
Bugger! That Rodriguez crash sounds awful! :(

What happened? Did he miss the braking point? Did his brakes fail? Was he already damaged?

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: December 24, 2003 07:54AM
Blimey! Are you sure that pass was legal?! :P I thought you wern't allowed to use that kerbed area. :S

Date: December 24, 2003 08:43AM
wern't allowed to use that kerbed area

:-o I thought you were allowed to use ANY kerb area.

Date: December 24, 2003 09:15AM
Posted by: bigears
I have seen some footage of the Rodriguez crash at the fameflame forums.

As he was approaching the Corkscrew and somewhat he missed his braking point at high speed.

He hit hard into the concrete wall and flipped over the wall. It was reported that there was some blood on the concrete wall due to the high speed impact.

Will, of course you are allowed to use the kerbed area to overtake, what about Massa's move on Trulli at Imola last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: December 24, 2003 09:42AM
Posted by: broders
"Lausitzring 2001: the dramatic crash with Tagliani.
Note: this video is available on this site only to give to the fans a document about the crash that broken Alessandro's career off"

hasnt broken off his career:)
in 2004 he is driving the ETTC championship :O :D :)

-=-=-=-=-=-
VT Driver
Broders
Date: December 24, 2003 10:23AM
Posted by: Kimi Räikkönen
Laguna Seca - Corkscrew: What a corner!! I always spin there on GT2 on PS1!!

Sorry guys, my forum is down. :(
Date: December 24, 2003 10:31AM
Posted by: matthewp
If someone passed me like Zanardi did there I would be extremely pissed off! he had all four wheels off the circuit by far!

Date: December 24, 2003 11:26AM
Especially when this happens on the very last lap! Brian Herta had only a few more corners to go in order to win and the last thing he expected was being passed IN the corkscrew corner - not before or after it, really IN the corner.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 12:55PM
I would have tried to push him off the circuit - wait, he already was - further off the circuit, or not let him back on...

Date: December 24, 2003 01:28PM
Posted by: Glyn
I have to say that was a bit unfair. There is "extending the track" to your advantage, but like Matt and Vader said he had all the wheels off the track!

Date: December 24, 2003 01:44PM
Posted by: jginete
the kerbs are part of the track. the runoff areas aren't pert of the track. he had 2 wheels in the track and 2 wheels in the runoff area. The move is legal, in my oppinion. As legal as Schumi to Trillu Hockenheim 2003

Date: December 24, 2003 02:07PM
Trulli left MS no other chance as to go off track. In a way Trulli pushed him off the track.

Even if the Zanardi pass is certainly something to discuss about it shows how much balls Zanardi had (and still has).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 02:25PM
Posted by: jginete
fully agree... Zanardi was (is) a wonderful driver. He's just chosen the wrong team in F1... Williams sucked at the time :s

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy