IRL to dangerous

Posted by marcl 
IRL to dangerous
Date: July 06, 2003 02:45PM
Posted by: marcl
Who else here thinks the IRL is far to dangerous.

Yet again today there was a crash and Dan Whelon now has a broken leg and the other driver has back injuries.

Since the races started there have been to many broken bones its getting stupid surley some thing should be done.

In a way i am happy Dari is not driving in it, i hope he goes back to cart or some things else.

If the FIA were running it the injuries would not happen as they would do some thing about it.

They recon more people have been hurt in IRL than Cart or other types of motor sport
Re: IRL to dangerous
Date: July 06, 2003 03:28PM
Posted by: Vader
If the FIA were running it the injuries would not happen as they would do some thing about it.

Build ovals with chicanes?

I agree with you. IRL is too dangerous. The tracks are not safe, the cars are antediluvian and 50% of the grid are not more than semi-professionals who are just driving because they don't know what else to do in there leisure time. Franchitti, De Ferran, Castroneves, Brack, Kanaan and maybe Hornish are just wasting there talents there.

Post Edited (07-06-03 22:43)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 06, 2003 04:15PM
Posted by: fcarmoracing
Agree.... it´s not a real top category....come on, only ovals all the year????
even NASCAR have 2 non-oval races....

I bet if they race in a regular CART circuit, they would be much slower than those ChampCars.... it´s soooooooo easy to do only right corners all over the year!!!!!

You could be sponsoring me
Date: July 06, 2003 04:55PM
Posted by: tux
actually its left corners ;)

Date: July 06, 2003 09:20PM
Posted by: Ellis
Franchitti, De Ferran, Castroneves, Brack, Kanaan and maybe Hornish are just wasting there talents there.

Of course, DeFerran and Franchitti have both been seriosuly injured this year also

I dont get it, CART can run single seaters on ovals and been fine with relectivly few injuries, but IRL seems more like a death trap

Im all for motor racing keeping some of the danger, without it wouldnt be motor racing, but it seems like IRL is just asking for trouble

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 06, 2003 09:38PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

I was shocked when i heard Team KOOL Green (as it was known last year) were going to IRL. I couldnt believe it. My first worry was tracy would go with them and i wouldnt be able to watch him race, but im glad he stayed with cart. I hope alot of the teams that went over to IRL come back to CART. But i dont think they will because the conversion would be to expensive to come back again

Date: July 07, 2003 08:34AM
They will all come back again, its a cycle thats going to start happening

They went to IRL afetr CART costs rocketed, IRL will now do the same with everyone being there, they will move back to CART in 5 years or so, then when CART gets too expensive, they will return to IRL

When it becomes cheaper to move series, rather than stay, thats when a team moves

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 07, 2003 10:12AM
Posted by: Pooky
i also agree it is to dangerous.

sad thing is, i fear only a death will kick start something to improve safety there.

but no matter what they do, the whole nature of driving at 240mph flat out with concrete outer walls just says 'dangerous' all over it.

if i was a racing driver, i would not race in the IRL. CART or f3000 or sportscars etc. is safer.

even safer is F1!

Date: July 07, 2003 10:27AM
Posted by: daveb
it isn't the circuits that are the problem ,as some1 said, cart has raced on many ovals wiv few injuries. I might b wrong, but i don't think cart has had an injury on an oval since Greg Moore died at Fontana in 1999.

It's got more to do wiv the construction of the cars

Date: July 07, 2003 10:57AM
powerhorse, F1 is safer cos it has so many chicanes and crap

And yes, DaveB is perfectly correct in saying theres nothing that dangerous bout driving ovals if the car can cope

CART does ovals and street circuits and it copes well, and IRL does only ovals and the cars cant cope? Somethings seriously up

Date: July 07, 2003 10:57AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

yes i agree with you DaveB there, Cart has been relativly safe with Ovals, there have been acidents yes (tracy broke his leg on his second race ever at Michigan in 1991 or 1992 i think) also greg moore and some others i cant think of atm.

Date: July 07, 2003 11:34AM
err, ellis

what would you rather crash in on an oval at 200mph?

an IRL car, or an F1 car

i know for sure i would rather be in the F1 car. they are safer

Date: July 07, 2003 03:50PM
I'd rather be at home watching it on TV.

I still say the tracks are too dangerous - at least compared to F1 tracks. No matter if the car can cope or not, an oval is always potentially more dangerous than a normal race track.

Since the tragic death of Greg Moore at Fontana the number of ovals per season in CART is on the decline. Right now they only have 3 ovals but 16 other tracks this season.

Bad injuries do not come as a surprise if you add crap cars, dangerous tracks and a grid with at least 50% mediocre drivers.

Post Edited (07-07-03 22:53)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 07, 2003 04:32PM
what would you rather crash in on an oval at 200mph?

an IRL car, or an F1 car

i know for sure i would rather be in the F1 car. they are safer

erm F1 cars are designed for ovals and might not go agasint a wall at the speed as a CART car would

there is no "F1 is defiantly safer" becasue CART does run higher speeds ad we have never seen an F1 car hit wall on a CART oval at CART speeds

Date: July 07, 2003 04:38PM
CART used to run higher speeds. With the new 750 bhp (650 bhp for ovals) limitations I doubt it's still faster.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 07, 2003 04:46PM
i know its slower now, but i think CART cars will cope with high speed impacts on conreate better than F1 cars would, consdiering theres no real corner where F1 cars are flat ad they have no run off inot a concreate wall

Closest is of course Last turn at Indy but an F1 car isnt at full speed there

Date: July 08, 2003 03:02AM
good point ellis,

but look at some of the collosal crashes we have seen in F1,

what about in 99 at spa and zonta's and JV's crashes at euo rouge??

they were enormous impacts, and they walked away unscathed

i would still rather be in the F1 car if i crashed on an oval.

they are put thru very tough safety tests, more strict than CART i think

Date: July 08, 2003 01:42PM
Posted by: bigears
But the closest thing we have seen a hard smash against the wall in an oval track is Ruben's Ferrari at the qualy session in Indianapolis last year.

The car held on well with the impact although the speed is much lower than a CART car against the wall flat out around an oval.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: July 08, 2003 03:01PM
Posted by: renyf1
i think a CART would survive an oval crash the best

I collect scale models and a CART next to an F1 car looks like an F1 car on steroids! But again both are designed for differnt tracks.

Regarding the IRL, u know their safety can't be up to par with F1 or CART

they seem like F3000 chassis, the drivers aren't nearly as good, too much grip around the corners, etc

I remember 2 yrs ago, CART was going to race at the Texas Motor Speedway...during practice the drivers were all blacking out due to the extreme G loads, yet IRL races there all the time

For sure a shame Team Green/Andretti, Penske, & Gnassi switched over....feel worst for Helio, Gil, & Dario. The rest were competitive but not proven winners.

Until Penske went over, all the drivers and teams were the backmarkers in CART or the 1 time teams @ the Indy 500.

-Ren
Date: July 12, 2003 07:13AM
Posted by: Casper
People seem to forget that Zanardi was in a CART car when he lost his legs.

The same year Greg Moore died, Rodriguez was killed at Laguna Seca. when his car plummeted down the corkscrew hill. Fittipaldi broke his leg at Surfers. Tagliani and the japanese ex arrows driver were badly injured in the Surfers pile up last year. I think CART has more serious injuries than F1. Not that CART don't try as hard tho.

[akiro3.com]
------------
'That was a major, major sausage.' - Barry Sheene
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy